After barely 1 year my MN12 adventure comes to a premature end. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

After barely 1 year my MN12 adventure comes to a premature end.

So ever since I got my MN12, it has has its share of issues... My biggest mistake was clearly being in a rush when I made the purchase. I wanted to have it inspected pre purchase, but I couldn't find any shops that had time. With my rental car being due back the day after, in hindsight that was a disaster waiting to happen. Nevertheless, the story seemed solid.... Bought of the 80 year old, first owner, which Carfax verified. That was all nice and well, but with that owner having essentially never done any maintenance other from oil changes, little did I know what I was up for... I pretty much had to renew the entire front suspension, tie rods, tires and brakes all the way around... The cooling fan bearings came apart one time, so that needed replacing. Not to mention the time when one of the new control arms I had a shop install literally snapped in half while I was driving due to a manufacturing defect...

If anything the old bird did push me to learn how to do more work on the car by myself, I give it that. Heck, I just changed the belt tensioner pulley as well as the thermostat, with a full coolant flush literally 2 days before it finally happened.

My wife was driving the Bird on the highway, (which aside from the one time the cooling fan seized had actually never broken down and was running and driving very smoothly) when out of nowhere the engine started knocking like an old diesel tractor from what I later found out was a sudden and catastrophic loss of oil pressure. Apparently, she said she only heard it for a minute or so before it seemingly went to sounding back to normal again. By that point the damage had already been done as it turned out. When I got to the car and turned it over I could essentially already tell the block was toast, oil pressure indicated zero and the check gauges light was flashing like crazy. I'm not sure exactly why, but I guess to get a confirmation of what I already knew to be true deep down I had it towed to my local mechanic to see if it was repairable. I was able to drive it off the flatbed to park and it seemed like the knock had subsided somewhat. When he finally checked it out the following morning though it was bad news. It was spouting oil all over the place and he discovered a hole in the engine block right next to the oil filter.

I still have no clue exactly as to what caused the sudden oil leak. I asked the mechanic whether the guy who last did an oil change on it may have wrongly installed the filter. He said the filter seemed to be installed firmly, and the gasket was still in place. Besides, the last oil change was about 3 months ago and I'm pretty rigorous with making sure my cars don't leak oil and checking the level. I had topped it up a tiny bit just recently as well as needed. Anyway, I don't want to dwell on it too much. It's been an enormous money pit for the amount of time I got to enjoy it but it sure has been a great learning tool. I'm sad to see it go, but I have to draw the line at replacing the block at this point. Besides, my wife is insistent at getting a new car instead, haha!

I don't mean for this to be a rather elaborate excuse for an ad... more to share the rather sad ending of the MN12 I'd grown quite attached too.
However, having had the car for as short a time as I have I haven't quite yet reached the 30 post minimum required to post in the market place sadly. Although I must say you guys have been an amazing help in the maintenance and trouble shooting for the car.... Anyway, I'm hoping the admins may let it slide for this once.... the car is for sale in the LA area and has tons of new parts on it. I'm hoping my loss will be someone's gain. I'm open to offers.... Feel free to check it out at: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/la...544958864.html

edit: I don't know why, but my picture keeps appearing upside down for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4931.JPG (1.87 MB, 35 views)

Last edited by roborated; 04-02-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:40 AM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Ouch, that sucks!

Moved to Cars For Sale, best of luck.

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

@Rodeo Joe Thanks a lot for that! I appreciate it!!

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:47 PM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Beautiful rust free Thunderbird just waiting for someone to drop a DOHC motor in it.... GLWS

1989 Cougar XR7 - 13.21 @ 102.29 -SOLD-
1993 Thunderbird SC -Awaiting Suspension-
1994 Mark VIII - 14.85 @ 93.95 -SOLD-
1996 Thunderbird Sport 15.57 @ 89.42 -Retired @ 258k-
1997 Thunderbird LX AED -SOLD-
1997 Thunderbird Sport 15.71 @ 86.89 -SOLD-
1997 Mark VIII LSC 12.97 @ 112.15 -SOLD-
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

@Thomas A Thanks!

And absolutely, it is entirely rust free. Not a speck anywhere. It would be great for an engine swap considering the rest of the car is pretty much sorted!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
If this was on my coast I would low ball the hell out of you and prep this car for something to make it go fast.

Good luck with the sale.

1995 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 LX - SC wheels, enlarged rear sway bar, full sound system, cut mufflers, PST 1 1/8" rear bar, Eibachs, Mark 8 LCA's, Al housed 3.55 gearset, cut mufflers
2011 BMX X5 Xdrive50i - BMS Stage 1, Cut Muffler
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L-Her stock DD
1984 Ford F250 6.9 IDIT - head studs in progress
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 07:23 AM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
Damn that's pretty. I don't see how you can have a hole in the block without throwing a rod. In my old 94, I would lose pressure and it would tick like crazy, but it wouldn't knock. Fixed it by cleaning sludge out of engine with pressure washer after removing valve covers and oil pan. Perhaps you should get a second opinion?

Failed to mention: it was the previous owners mistake of not changing oil. My has had nothing but motorcraft.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas A View Post
Beautiful rust free Thunderbird just waiting for someone to drop a DOHC motor in it.... GLWS
Beautiful color too..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in