TCCoA Forums banner

Try to figure out the problem

883 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  hotbird 
#1 ·
Alright my Thunderbird has been flashing the O/D off light for like 4 months now, and I am finally seeing the results of the light.

When I drive the car, the trans seems to shudder a little bit when I take off. Then when the trans goes to shift from 1-2 the shift is really mushy, you can't even tell the car is shifting gears. It pretty much holds the RPMs. Then the the 2-3 shift is fine and the O/D is also fine.

Just the takeoff and the 1-2 shift. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
:confused:

This car has been having a ton of problems lately and I have just about had it.
Anyone want the car for like 1700. :D

#2 ·
Could be a variety of things. The light is blinking so you get the car scanned to let you know what the problem is. You have waiting so long you may have cooked the whole thing instead of replacing a $50 part.

#3 ·
Yep, thought it was going to be just the fluid. Checked that and it was full. So it is going to be something that I can't really fix.

Automatic transmissions are complicated as hell. I don't feel like working on the thing. I'll go get the code scanned at an auto place. I read my check engine light before at autozone and went there to see if they could scan for transmission codes, but they said they couldn't.

Probably the trans is screwed. I don't know?
:(

#4 ·
AutoZone's crappy little scanner won't read transmission codes.

After I convinced the dope that was working at my local store that the flashing O/D light meant there were transmission codes stored, he came out and scanned it for me. I watched to make sure he didn't pull a fast one on me, but the little orange reader they use showed no codes, despite the fact that my EEC was saying otherwise. Later on I scanned it myself with a Ford NGS reader and it showed trans over-temp and also a code for exceeding the rev limit.

Maybe the XCal 2 will read it? Know anybody that has one?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.