TCCoA Forums banner

Kooks headers and Turn downs?

3K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  Stevo1111 
#1 ·
#2 ·
i think thay make it easier to build the rest of of the system off a set of headers

#9 ·
.........................................Wow................. I like that. So im guessing it isn't true that you could burn a valve with a straight exhaust? And it has to be loud.

I like it though. I may have to seal your idea, make a slight change, and say its all new!!!! J/k It does give me ideas though. How much did that cost?

And I know Im way off topic.

#5 ·
i don't see the point in those

#11 ·
Dumping the exhaust.

Years ago maybe but today an exhaust can be set up with little to no restriction. In fact it looks like there is a pretty good system on there without the cut-outs.

#13 · (Edited)
no, i meant the 6" straight pieces, kinda useless....the angled downtubes, yes

i know there's a point in dumping, lol, as i too am running cutouts....great for making lots of noise, lol, didn't make it any faster, guess i didn't put enough restrictions in my exhaust, lol

driller-thats a mighty low time for that power....what converter u runnin, how light is ur car...sorry to change the subject

#14 ·
driller-thats a mighty low time for that power....what converter u runnin, how light is ur car...sorry to change the subject
I don't think it is..I went 12.98 @ 103 with 254rwhp and at 3700lbs.
JL

#15 ·
damn...guess i really do need a new converter

#16 ·
The proper question would be how heavy is the car. LOL

Race weight is generally 4050 pounds depending upon fuel level.

But in full disclosure, the 13.4 was with a negative density altitude. I generally run 13.6-13.8 depending upon the track and weather.

The remainder of the exhaust is basically wide open. I'm running Hooker's mufflers that are open straight through. The only restriction would be reversion at the cutout Y pipes when the cutouts are closed.

One of my dreams is to rig a WOT switch and timer to hold the cutouts closed for a time yet to be determined before opening the cutouts at higher rpms. I believe it would be possible to utilize more torque at the launch then less restriction to HP once the cutouts open at the higher rpms. :rolleyes:

...I went 12.98 @ 103 with 254rwhp and at 3700lbs.
I believe it's entirely possible to do, but I'm curious what what the RWTQ numbers were.

#17 ·
I believe it's entirely possible to do, but I'm curious what what the RWTQ numbers were.
254.1 rwhp @ 5000rpms,and 297.1 ft-lbs @4200rpms.
JL

#22 ·
#21 ·
well your question was kind of incomplete.....use them with what? by themselves? as part of a full exhaust system?

they're just pipes nothing really special about them. if your having a system made up it doesn't really matter, thats the easy part of it to make, so having those won't really save you any cash

#28 ·
give em a go...all that matters is the flages align properly...now if they do or not...i dunno...ill assume your using them with a full system (as per sr-71's comment on an incomplete question)...but i think jurgens origional question was will the flanges on the turndowns match up to the flanges on the kooks headers.

#29 ·
So my valves really wont get burnt! YAY!:D

I'm putting some on my Mark VIII in a few weeks. Should be very loud when I want it and very stock when I'm cruising 90 miles round trip to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.