tc e-brake cable ? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

tc e-brake cable ?

I just picked up a MarkVII rear axle for my '95 Mustang. The brake cables should be the same as a turbocoupe. I already have the 2 that go to the calipers.

The confusion is how the cables hook up to the e-brake lever. Like there are 3 ebrake cables? TC's do have a console mounted e-brake, don't they?

Does anyone have an underside pic with the ebrake cables in it? Please post a link or send me an email if you do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:14 PM
BJL
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BJL
il have my car on the lift at work tomorrow if you can wait until tomorrow i can get detaisl pictures of the 88 TC parking brake cables.
what year mark vII rear are you using , cuz only 92 and 93 used TC type brakes......

Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird TC 5spd. few bolt ons, 308k miles
1989 Cougar XR7 AOD 110k
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks.

It is an '89 and they are very similar to the Turbo Coupe. The return spring is built into the cable. There used to be a TC at the salvage the Mark rear end came from. The only other Fox to use the MarkVII brakes was the SVO Mustang..those are impossible to find.

I'm not going to start the swap until Saturday so there is plenty of time. It's a 5 speed car so it needs the e-brake. If I can't figure out a parking brake the stock sn95 axles and brakes will be used. I'd really like the extra track width and huge vented rotors from the MarkVII.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 04:51 PM
BJL
1st Gear Poster

Garage
after rereading your first post i realized your looking to make your center console e-brake handle work, but TC's use a pedal style parking brake....

don't your factory cable match up to the mark seven's calipers? when i did the calipers on my g/f's 96 v6 conv mustang it had almost identical calipers to my TC.
here are the pictures if case you still need them.

when i had it on the lift i noticed how much rust is under my car, i swear everytiem i look at it i find something else wrong, i wish it was just brand new agian.....

Brian J Larkin
1989 Cougar XR7 AOD 110k
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks. The TC calipers are indeed similar to the regular Mustang ones. The Lincoln has some oddball calipers. The pics are still helpful in showing how the adjuster is setup and cable routing. Unfortunately I can't use tc cables.

The Mustang uses a self adjuster on the e-brake similar to the automatic clutch adjuster. The return spring is actually on the cable of the Mark. I may be able to modify the 'stang cable and use an external return spring. Then again I may be screwed if the self adjuster doesn't work right with the different calipers The e-brake adjustment is critical on the Mark. It has to fully release.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2007, 04:27 PM
BJL
1st Gear Poster

Garage
keep us posted on it, i now a few fox tbird guys that want an e-brake cable handle in the center, rather then a foot one.

Brian J Larkin
1989 Cougar XR7 AOD 110k
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-24-2007, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

The handle and cables off a sn95 might work on a turbocoupe, but good luck getting the required brackets removed and installed in one piece. Probably not worth the effort.

On mine I just cut 3 inches from the stock cable housing and used the MarkVII ends on the factory cables. I can lock the rear brakes at 40mph easily with the handle. The park brake works better than before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in