HELP!!! turbo question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

HELP!!! turbo question

Hello everyone...new guy here with a question. i just bought an 88 TC w/automatic. she's been sitting for awhile but i got her running. Here is the problem though. it wasnt getting any boost so i started going through the engine bay and i found the vacuum tee underneath the intercooler on the turbo housing to be broken......the vacuum hoses had dry rotted and 1 port on the vacuum block itsself(the one that goes to the switch on the firewall) has completely rusted away. my question is what is the switch on the firewall for and can i just plug that port and reroute the vacuum hose at another source? i tried to make something at the hardware store but i cant find anything to replicate the fitting. thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 05:46 PM
4th Gear Poster

If I remember right that switch is the Over boost pressure sensor.

Flyin with the bird's or runnin with the cat's either is better than ridin horses!
84 Turbo Coupe 2.3T, 88 intercooler/intake setup, T3-4 hyrbrid .60 trim, PC1 ECU, 35lbs/hr injectors, runnin 15psi
94 cougar xr7 inprocess of getting body fixed gonna be the new daliy, Then the turbo coupe get piant & body
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

cheers. i got it running but i still dont have any boost on the gauge. this is my first turbo car so i am still learning. i removed the instrument cluster to check the pressure line. it seems Ok but i swapped my vacuum cleaner line over to a blower and attached it to the line coming from the pressure gauge. i pressurized the line but it barely moved the needle. I am sure my 18V dewalt vaccum can push more than 3 PSI but maybe not!? I am going to get an external gauge but what port should i plug it into?
Cmon guys... i thought this was an "expert" forum. 1 reply...that is weak...although much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Wow, less then 12 hours after you post and 2 posts under your belt your calling us "weak"?Having owned 4 TCs your best bet is to get rid of that boost controller on the pass. fender apron and get a manual one.Try some of the sites I listed above for specific TC mods.

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

that was probably a bit much for a newbie....my bad. I'll shoulda waited to be a smarta$$. This is my second TC by the way. The first was a rolling chassis we stuck a 460/c-6 in. F-U-N.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 PM
4th Gear Poster

This is more of a MN12 chassis site not so much of a FOX chassis. I learned that pretty quick. I guess now I could pop off some sort of if you know so much figure it out. Mr that is some Weak Sh iot! But if you follow the vac line from the Turbo outlet to the VAc tree you can tap in right there. Get yourself a vac T with a connector for the hard line that comes with the gauge.

Flyin with the bird's or runnin with the cat's either is better than ridin horses!
84 Turbo Coupe 2.3T, 88 intercooler/intake setup, T3-4 hyrbrid .60 trim, PC1 ECU, 35lbs/hr injectors, runnin 15psi
94 cougar xr7 inprocess of getting body fixed gonna be the new daliy, Then the turbo coupe get piant & body
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

if i knew so much i wouldn't have asked.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 AM

here is the end all, fix all... replace all of your vac lines to ensure they're all good. replace the boost control solenoid with a manual boost control valve (you can find them everywhere). the stock solenoid, even in perfect working order, will only allow that car (auto) to run 9psi. it might be bad. also, get an aftermarket gauge. the factory ones aren't known for precision.

lastly, don't go asking a group of people for help, then turning around and calling that same group "weak".... not smart. us "experts" could tell you to do something that would hinder you just as easily as we could tell you what will fix your problem.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

look everyone I APOLOGISE FOR MY INSENSITIVE, THOUGHTLESS, UNPROFESSIONAL POSTING. I am flogging myself as i post! Thank you turboranger91 for your response. i have replaced all the vac lines and will get the other stuff as $$ allows. the car is on jacks now as i go through it. it's been sitting under an oak tree for 3 plus years. I was relieved to get it running but all of a sudden the tranny starts leaking badly. i guess the front seal must be gone.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 10:33 AM
4th Gear Poster

If it has been sitting for 3 years the seal are most likely dried out. Check them all other wise you will have oil leak city. Ah and no thanks for telling you how to plumb in the after market gauge. LOL no biggie like I need net praise.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

no joke on the seals. the gas cap was left off for god knows how long. i was following NATO's fuel pump troubleshooting tree cuz i was only getting 3 psi at the injector rail. i traced it down to a bad pump so i dropped the tank and OMG the seals had turned to putty from the heat/humidity. the pickup tube on the fuel pump was so bad it collapsed when the pump kicked on...not to mention the rust/sediment in the tank. i am guessing i should be able to change the front seal on the tranny myself?
that'll be next weekend.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-09-2007, 01:23 PM

deffinitely sounds like you've got your hands full. at least it will force you to go through everything and make sure it's alright.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in