Turbo Coupe cold air intake Question - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88TurboCoupeman01 Send a message via Yahoo to 88TurboCoupeman01
Turbo Coupe cold air intake Question

Is there any company that makes a cold air intake kit for the Turbo Coupe. I am sick of the stock intake box to much junk want to free it up and have a cold air intake if there is on. Thanks.

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 speed manual
Mods. tinted windows, premium sound, red interior with red velor seats,Mild Cam, 30 degree valves, HP rolor rocker Arms, Light weight Aluminum radiator., Kenwood compotion CD player, with comption 6speakers.
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Dailey Driver
1997 Saturn SC2 Custom Yellow w/ EVO 5 Body Kit.
1987 Ford MUstang LX 4cyl my first car RIP
www.myspace.com/racenut97
http://cardomain.com/ride/3114339
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 03:54 PM
1st Gear Poster

stinger makes all kinds of stuff for the turbocoupe.

I've got an 86 svo and literally all you need to do is just pop off the airbox up to the VAM and just get an el cheapo 3" k/n knockoff cone filter from ebay for $8.00 shipped and pop it on the end of the VAM and you're good to go.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 04:19 PM
1st Gear Poster

Forced 4 makes a nice kit for the 2.3T. Pricey though.

88 Thunderbird TC : Black, Full Griggs GR-40 Suspention, Gillis Valve set at 20 LBS, 2.5" cat back exhaust with flowmaster 50 series mufflers and 3" chrome tips. Leather, Sunroof, LOADED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88TurboCoupeman01 Send a message via Yahoo to 88TurboCoupeman01
Thanks I check them out Guys.

Mods. tinted windows, premium sound, red interior with red velor seats,Mild Cam, 30 degree valves, HP rolor rocker Arms, Light weight Aluminum radiator., Kenwood compotion CD player, with comption 6speakers.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Whats Stringer and Forged's web site I can't find them on line.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:53 AM
Metal Manipulator

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks I going to get the Forced kit w/ the K&N filter should I get it with or w/out the bypass valve.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88TurboCoupeman01 View Post
Thanks I going to get the Forced kit w/ the K&N filter should I get it with or w/out the bypass valve.
WITH the bypass valve.

you ever listened to your turbo after you get on it hard and shift?? you hear that light shhttt tttt hhttt sound??

that's your turbo cavitating...

turbo cavitation is when your turbo is spinning...oh around 100,000rpm during boost and then you let off the throttle and the t-body plate slams shut and ALL that pressure slams into it and then reverses and completely stalls out the turbo suddenly STOPPING it from 100k rpm to 0rpm and back a few times due to exhaust pressure still being up.

not good on bearings.....the bypass valve allows the air to vent so the turbo doesnt stall...thus preventing cavitation AND at the same time venting the air to the VAM so the car doesnt go insane rich and stall out on you since the VAM needs to meter the air intake constantly and openly venting it would cause the VAM to go into "wtf" mode and then your car stalls out lol.

that and when you feel frisky later on, you can replace the bypass valve with one like a greddy type-s and get that fun "fast and furious" noise like in the eclipse if you want :p since they can be setup as bypass valves as well haha.

86 1D svo mustang
88 5.0 mustang
95 GT convertible
98 5.0 mountaineer
93 b18 turbo civic hatch
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thanks itsn't that like a blow off vavle, and not trying to be anass but no nothing bout turbo cars, were does the bypass valve go not trying to be anass but trying to learn something.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM
1st Gear Poster

it IS like a blowoff valve but with a single difference. a blowoff valve vents to atmosphere. a BYPASS valve does the same thing BUT instead of venting to atmosphere, it vents back into the intake track so the airflow sensors dont go crazy due to a sudden loss of volumetric airflow.

basically, it takes the airflow from after the turbo...and routes it back over to the pre-turbo lines so the turbo can safely spin down AND the airflow meters will be happy.

you can use a blowoff valve as a bypass valve as long as its discharge can physically have a hose of some type attached to the discharge so it can be routed back into the intake track.

hence, why greddy type-s, type-r, type-rs and subsequent knockoffs are so popular and emulated by other brands because you can set them up as either a blowoff or bypass valve.

oh yeah, my bad I have to do this haha.

86 1D svo mustang
88 5.0 mustang
95 GT convertible
98 5.0 mountaineer
93 b18 turbo civic hatch
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Sorry so when I get the Intake with the bypass should or even do I need a blow off valve cause I trying to keep it a sleep as much as I can even thought it shows and says its a turbo Coupe.

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Sorry so when I get the Intake with the bypass should or even do I need a blow off valve cause I trying to keep it a sleep as much as I can even thought it shows and says its a turbo Coupe.
just use the bypass valve that comes with the kit. it is a factory volvo pop-off style bypass valve. you can upgrade later if you want the fun noises. just remember, the bypass valve that comes with the kit is an OEM unit and is also a plastic housing unit and cant sustain higher boost pressures that well.

also, this is my last piece of advise for you since you apparently know everything as you so aptly claim in your other post I responded to.

86 1D svo mustang
88 5.0 mustang
95 GT convertible
98 5.0 mountaineer
93 b18 turbo civic hatch
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

no I was trying to say is I don't know much bout the 2.3 turbos and thunderbirdsand I am on here to learn bout them I am getting ready to apply at a automtive trade school and want to be able to have some more knowledge because I want to be a ford sepicalty performance shop owner down the road.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 02:57 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
no I was trying to say is I don't know much bout the 2.3 turbos and I am on here to learn.
fyi, a stock 2.3t shortblock can handle upwards of 400-450hp. the rods are harderned steel and the pistons are factory forged. none of that cheap crap in other motors. they are VERY over built.

people are tossing hx35's from dodge diesel engines and pushing 30+psi on stock engines with much MUCH fun.

the weak point is that the heads have a bad tendancy to crack between the valves.

you apparently have an 88 am I correct?? 87-88's have an IHI turbo that is only good to around 20psi before it starts spitting out heat. go get you an 83-86 manual transmission 2.3t T3 which is .60/.63 versus the .60/.48 on the automatic cars and crank up the boost to around 20-22psi and go have some fun.

your overboost light will probably come on and the little dinger thingy will make irritating noises but all you do is bypass that and pull the light out and have fun since the computer CAN effectively manage the engine at those levels. This is fundementally proven with these engines. like I said, go do some reading on turboford.org you wont be dissapointed.

the 87-88 tbirds have THE best 2.3t computer of all the various versions out there next to the 86 PE computer in the 86 svo mustangs. hell, they even have a bigger topmount intercooler, than the 86 svo.

86 1D svo mustang
88 5.0 mustang
95 GT convertible
98 5.0 mountaineer
93 b18 turbo civic hatch
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

sorry I read some were on the web that sayed that I didn't relize that I am sorry I guess u can't believe all what u hear but I thought it was true cause it was on some forum don't ask me which one cause I don't remiber. Sorry bout that can u answer another question if I haven't pissed off. I was wondering when does the govener kick on the ECU. I read some were that it hit in a t 150 or 18lbs of boost, What is stock bosst for the Turbo Coupe I have 8 but thought someone could tell. Guys don't think I am an ass hole but I am not that good in typing my words. Sorry.

post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 05:08 PM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
sorry I read some were on the web that sayed that I didn't relize that I am sorry I guess u can't believe all what u hear but I thought it was true cause it was on some forum don't ask me which one cause I don't remiber. Sorry bout that can u answer another question if I haven't pissed off. I was wondering when does the govener kick on the ECU. I read some were that it hit in a t 150 or 18lbs of boost, What is stock bosst for the Turbo Coupe I have 8 but thought someone could tell. Guys don't think I am an ass hole but I am not that good in typing my words. Sorry.
you're running 8psi?? does your premium fuel switch not work or your factory boost solenoid?? you should have two settings...regular fuel and premium. regular fuel you will run 8psi, when switched into premium fuel mode you will be running 14-16psi depending on how worn out your boost solenoid is.

sounds like you've got some other problem going on which is limiting the boost to the engine and the fun factor. trust me, it's like night/day. when I first got my 86 svo it was stuck in regular (doghouse mode as I like to call it) mode and pretty much couldnt pass a snail. once I got the problem sorted out which was a shorted ground on the premium fuel switch, it kicked right over and let me tell you 16psi is a LOT more fun.

go ahead and register at turboford.org or the nato site as there are a lot more people more familiar with turbotbird wiring on those sites who can help pinpoint your problem...and yes, the LA3 or LB3 computer you have in your 88 has an octane switch built into it. whether you believe that or not, it IS there.

86 1D svo mustang
88 5.0 mustang
95 GT convertible
98 5.0 mountaineer
93 b18 turbo civic hatch
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Ya stackz thanks no my fuel switch isn't broken, the car takes of like a bat out of hell first time I drove I was affread of it cause when I took of the clutch just grabed like I never felt the as soon as I got to 3 grand on the tach I was at around 3 to 5 lbs of boost. I have never tooken it on the road just drove it around the block three times I can't waight to just get on a winde road and just punch the accelarator.

post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-18-2008, 11:28 PM
5th Gear Poster

Quote:
Ya stackz thanks no my fuel switch isn't broken, the car takes of like a bat out of hell first time I drove I was affread of it cause when I took of the clutch just grabed like I never felt the as soon as I got to 3 grand on the tach I was at around 3 to 5 lbs of boost. I have never tooken it on the road just drove it around the block three times I can't waight to just get on a winde road and just punch the accelarator.
No, theres somthing wrong there. When I still had the IHI it would be at 18#'s by 2500. Sound to me like your gauge might be bad, you have a boost leak, or your wastegate isnt closing.

Buy and aftermarket boost/vacuume gauge and toss it in. The stock one isnt accurate. I would recommed one that runs +30psi/-30inhg. Take your hoses off and check them for cracks. Check to make sure the hoses are seated and tightend properly. Ditch the factory BCS and order a control valve from Boostvalve.com and get it with the low pressure spring.

'95 T-Bird - Light green, 98 Crown Vic Police Interceptor Engine, 96 Grand Marquis Tranny, 3.27 Trac-loc, Ford MotorSports Trans cooler, Sport Springs, Blaupunkt Richmond, Memphis Car Audio 5x7's, Cerwin-Vega 150.2 powering mids/highs, Volgenhag 4-channel 1200w amp (junk), 2 Memphis Car Audio 12's

'88 T-bird turbo - Silver, 5spd, Rebuilt Engine, t-3 .63, Custom FMIC, Bobs Big Log, Bob's 3" Elbow, Walbro 255lph, Maximum Motorsports Coil-over Kit, Bilstein HD struts, Hypercoil 200# 14" Springs, Caster/Camber Plates, Ranger Roller, Gillis Valve at 20#, 3in. Side-Dump Exhaust, NGK Iridium XI Plugs, Jacobs C-4 Coil, High Volume Oil Pump, MAX PSI Oil Lines, Poly Bushings, 245/50/R16 Nitto 450's, Autocross car
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:53 AM
Metal Manipulator

Just in case you didnt know about it..........http://www.turbotbird.com/.....this site has all the info youll ever need to do anything you want to a Turbo Coupe and quite a few very helpfull people over there

LED tails and 89-93 headlights~~~>http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=114519

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in