Clutch Q's - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-20-2008, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88TurboCoupeman01 Send a message via Yahoo to 88TurboCoupeman01
Clutch Q's

I want a Stage II clucth for my Turbo Coupe I would eith like a Ford Racing cluch if there made for my car, or a Clutchmaster or centerforce clutch in this order and what kind of light weight flywheel should I get to.

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 speed manual
Mods. tinted windows, premium sound, red interior with red velor seats,Mild Cam, 30 degree valves, HP rolor rocker Arms, Light weight Aluminum radiator., Kenwood compotion CD player, with comption 6speakers.
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Dailey Driver
1997 Saturn SC2 Custom Yellow w/ EVO 5 Body Kit.
1987 Ford MUstang LX 4cyl my first car RIP
www.myspace.com/racenut97
http://cardomain.com/ride/3114339
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 02:42 AM
5th Gear Poster

You know if you went over to turbotbird.com and searched their forum you would get much better answers from smarter people.

Anyway, What are your plans for your car? Realistic plans that you think youll find yourself in the next year or two.

Do some research on different clutch makers. Dont just jump on big names like frpp and centerforce. Ive actually seen several guys on turboford.org talk about their CF clutches coming unbalanced and shattering. Doing the research you might find that another, lesser known, company will fit your needs better for a lesser price. Same with the flywheel.

Im building my car for autocross/drag racing. I did a bunch of research with Zoom, Ram, CF, Spec, Tilton, Fidanza, FRPP, and Borg Warner. A 7.5 cerametallic tilton twin clutch/ flywheel combo would be my dream, but I settled on the Fidanza flywheel and a Spec stage 3 clutch from ultrarev.com. Its really more clutch then I need, but I ask alot of my clutch running through the autocross courses.

I feel like FRPP got out of the thunderbird business a LONG time ago.

'95 T-Bird - Light green, 98 Crown Vic Police Interceptor Engine, 96 Grand Marquis Tranny, 3.27 Trac-loc, Ford MotorSports Trans cooler, Sport Springs, Blaupunkt Richmond, Memphis Car Audio 5x7's, Cerwin-Vega 150.2 powering mids/highs, Volgenhag 4-channel 1200w amp (junk), 2 Memphis Car Audio 12's

'88 T-bird turbo - Silver, 5spd, Rebuilt Engine, t-3 .63, Custom FMIC, Bobs Big Log, Bob's 3" Elbow, Walbro 255lph, Maximum Motorsports Coil-over Kit, Bilstein HD struts, Hypercoil 200# 14" Springs, Caster/Camber Plates, Ranger Roller, Gillis Valve at 20#, 3in. Side-Dump Exhaust, NGK Iridium XI Plugs, Jacobs C-4 Coil, High Volume Oil Pump, MAX PSI Oil Lines, Poly Bushings, 245/50/R16 Nitto 450's, Autocross car
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 07-22-2008, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 88TurboCoupeman01 Send a message via Yahoo to 88TurboCoupeman01
k thanks.

1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 5 speed manual
Mods. tinted windows, premium sound, red interior with red velor seats,Mild Cam, 30 degree valves, HP rolor rocker Arms, Light weight Aluminum radiator., Kenwood compotion CD player, with comption 6speakers.
1988 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Dailey Driver
1997 Saturn SC2 Custom Yellow w/ EVO 5 Body Kit.
1987 Ford MUstang LX 4cyl my first car RIP
www.myspace.com/racenut97
http://cardomain.com/ride/3114339
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 07:57 AM
1st Gear Poster

I would leave the clutch alone and do engine mods first until the clutch starts to show signs of slipping and then worry about it.

and yeah, the centerforce clutches like to fly apart on people haha. I've done lightened flywheels in the past but I just stick with stock pieces now. the amount you pay for them and the tiny little benefits from "freed up rotating weight" doesnt justify the cost to me.

I'd rather spend the money on a used holset and front mount intercooler setup but that's just me.

86 1D svo mustang
88 5.0 mustang
95 GT convertible
98 5.0 mountaineer
93 b18 turbo civic hatch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in