Just received free 88 Turbo Bird....trouble, though?? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Question Just received free 88 Turbo Bird....trouble, though??

Car has 132,000 miles, passengers side and front damage (all fixable, frame is not tweaked) and best of all....it was FREE. It has sat for over 2 years, but started after jumping the battery and I drove it over 70 miles home, NO problems. After I got home, I took the wife up the road and as I was accelerating hard in 2nd gear(5 speed) the throttle seemed to hang wide opened, revving like crazy. I punched the pedal, but not luck....so I hit the switch and killed it. Battery is still dead, so as I was coasting I bump started it and it was still revving like mad. I coasted into a restaurant and left it. I came back and tried to jump it with my truck, no luck. I inspected the throttle lever and cable and they SEEM to be alright. What gives??? I'm totally new to T-birds and turbos and the last 2.3 I had was in my Mom's old Pinto. Thanks in advance......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 01:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to bak24
fuel or electical?

Hey T-Boid! Glad to here you've joined us!!
I drive a 1987 TurboCoupe.

AS for the problem, it could be many many things. It could be something as simple as a fuel filter, or clogged injectors or no spark from bad wires. I would first trouble-shoot to figure out if the problem is electrical or fuel related. Check the coil wire and each cylinder for spark, and then go from there.

Good luck, and as for more help if this doesnt help at all!

PS--Check out www.turbocoupe.org (same as www.turbotbird.com) These guys are awesome and totally know everything about the cars, maintainace and performace. And, it is a website totally divoted to us TC owners. Trust me, check it out.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2003, 11:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to T-Brd_CråzY

Could be alot if diff stuff like the earlier post said, However, if you troubleshoot and find it in time, you can save the bird and hopefully have a good ride. I would start with the throttle cable and work my way from there. I don't know if you have a thottle positioning sensor on that year or not but, if so, that could be it as well. I would take some WD40 or some other kind of lubricant and spray the cable real good inside the car (pedal) as well as on the engine. See if that helps.

Salutations,...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in