1987 Turbo Coupe couple of questions - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:38 AM Thread Starter

1987 Turbo Coupe couple of questions

I just bought a 87 Turbo Coupe with 105,000 miles on it and it has a few problems, I hear what appears to be bottom end rattle, not real bad but it bothers me...is this normal for a engine with 105,000 on it and is it serious of will the engine just keep going like the 5.0 I had some years back, it had bottom end knock and I could not kill that engine, ran like that for five years and I sold it and it still ran good except for the knock.

Question two, the idle surges and every now and then dies, I think this is a common problem of these 2.3L, just don't know what the fix is, I cleaned the IAC and it didn't look dirty or gummed up or is this surging caused by a vacuum line, I don't see any off anywhere.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-2009, 01:10 PM
BJL
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BJL
the tps being out of adjustment can cuase the idle to randomly just to a high idle....
check out NATO's FAQ, very helpful for what you may need

Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird TC 5spd. few bolt ons, 308k miles
1989 Cougar XR7 AOD 110k
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 11:46 PM
6th Gear Poster

Exclamation time bomb

Knock will kill a Turbo car in a hearbeat, within all likelihood that's not Rod's knocking (but check your oil) it's detonation - This TC is basically the OPPOSITE of your old 5.0 as these Turbos are really just hand grenades that LOOK like cars waiting for you to do something stupid & pull the pin - Get your cyber junkie mojo on & do a LOT of research on this car before you blow it up - & believe me that is WAY easy to do - LOVE... uncle buck

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 04:30 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to winkysrides
5.0 SWAP!!!!! turbo that s hit

Quote:
  • "Chuck Norris built my shortblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "
wheel hoppin and poppin!
91 Thunderbird sport 357W 5speed
88 stripped out 5.0 C4 and 4:56 gears in a 9in Ford

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2009, 04:09 AM
4th Gear Poster

Check all your line, inlet from the Turbo and all Vac. lines . its an easy fix once you take the time to go thru all the lines , or may have to replace a few , rubber gets old . The rattle may come from the exhaust shield under the car, if there is a rattle , a knock is another story . Not much to them and make alot of cheap power with some Mods. and great MPG on top of that . Try the Nato club for more info and help . DW
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2009, 02:48 PM
4th Gear Poster

Another good website that deals with the fox body t-birds is /www.foxtbirdcougarforums.com/index.php There's alot of good people there too.

08' Jeep Commander 3.7L AWD
86' Blue Bird 4.6L DOHC 5spd
86' Black Bird 2.3L auto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in