Having Some Issues - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Having Some Issues

Ok guys and gals, I seem to be on a never ending battle of love and hate with my car. I am having some issues with it lately. So let me start with some explaining and if anyone has any suggestions please let me know.
Ok, so the car seems like it is running out of fuel. When you run full boost it bucks like crazy and then backfires. There is a switch in the car that goes from "Reg" to "Premium" the owners manual explains that when you switch it over to premium it advances the timing 10 degrees and dumps more fuel. Now after this explanation, the car seems to run decent when you press the switch unless the temp gets over 170. Anytime it gets over 170 it starts to act like its not getting any fuel. I do have a 190 fuel pump in it that got put in around 1-1/2 yrs ago. I do have a slipping clutch also which might be adding to the problems.
I have an Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator that i am wanting to put on the car. Should I install it and bump up the fuel pressure some? Thinking maybe a new fuel filter might help some also?? I also have a new clutch kit that needs to be installed sometime. Was thinking about giving it a full tune up also sometime in the very near future.
Not really sure where else to go from there. Any other suggestions would be great.
Thanks in advance good people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I'd put the new fuel pressure regulator on as well as a new fuel filter. Also double check fuel pressure while you're there just to be sure that fuel delivery isn't the issue.

If that doesn't solve the problem, the next thing I'd look at would probably be the engine coolant temperature sensor; if it's not reading correctly the computer's a/f calculations will be off.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 08:35 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
I would also ensure your ignition is in top notch condition (plugs, wires, etc). If it is a little weak, it won't have enough power to jump the spark plug gap when you're at the higher boost pressures.

It doesn't fire the plug a few revolutions so it is pumping raw gas into the exhaust. Then something ignites the gas in the exhaust and you get a backfire.

But as Brandon said, a new regulator and filter wouldn't hurt.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Veteran Poster

heat related missfires on a 2.3 turbo are 9 times out of 10 the TFI module that is on the distributor, it;'s held on by 2 screws and goes bad due to heat..ALLOT.

1995 Lincoln Mark VIII "Grandmas Car"
400,480 miles *STOLEN 04-13-08*

98 Mark VIII LSC

STONE
STOCK
SLOW

NO
MODS
HERE
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2010, 11:52 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BogusSVO Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
If the TFI was bad, the car would not run at all, but if it is not a MOTOCRAFT one, get one.. the 5 pin from a V8 or V6 car will work also , the cheapo parts sore ones do not have stedy maps in them and can cause timing flucuations of up to 15* I have found out

drop in a set of Autolight RACING spark plugs gapped to .036 part number AR764

Install your AFPR and set base fuel pressure to 40psi with car running and vac hose disconected

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in