Gas Tank Issues - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

Gas Tank Issues

So I have been having issues with my gas tank lately. First, it would not take any gas except for about $0.17 at a time. So my first thought was that the tank was not venting properly, and that was making the gas pump think the tank was full and kept shutting off. Well, come to find out if you lift up on the gas pump while its in the filler neck it would take gas and the pump wouldn't shut off, but it would leak fuel out where the filler neck meets the tank. So, I decide its time to investigate into this. End up dropping the gas tank, and since my fuel gauge no longer works discovered that i had nearly a full tank of gas when I originally thought it was almost empty OOPS! lol Got the filler neck off and checked into that and discovered the gasket that sits around the neck to seal it to the tank is pretty much shot and nonexistent. Decide to investigate about the sending unit since the gauge doesn't work and found out that it is shot too. Also pulled the vent valve in the middle of the tank and it seemed to be working properly. I was a little confused at this point as to why it would not take any gas. So I take a trip to the parts store. End up getting in an argument with the man there because he tells me that the sending unit and the fuel pump are on one hanger together (which the definitely are not) and that he could order a whole new fuel pump, hanger and sending unit for me but it was around $300. Yeah right. So we put everything back together and now the darn thing will take gas without a problem, but the gas pump will no longer shut off on its own (found this out after spilling about 2 gallons of fuel on the ground ) And on top of that it leaks constantly any time I take a left turn or hit a bump and you can smell fuel constantly. After doing some research the gasket is no longer available and neither is the sending unit. So my question is what can I do to seal where the filler neck meets the tank cause that is where it is leaking from. Thought about using some silicone, but it probably wouldn't last long. Does anyone have any suggestions?????
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to make sure everyone had all the details. Thanks in advance!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:04 AM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to BogusSVO Send a message via Yahoo to BogusSVO
just hit the pick and pulls and try to find another grommet for the filler neck... check mustangs they may be close also.

as far as the fuel sender, Ill dig around and see if I have a spare for a TC and let you know.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogusSVO View Post

as far as the fuel sender, Ill dig around and see if I have a spare for a TC and let you know.
Awesome just let me know! And I think there might be a pull a part trip in the near future cause this needs to be fixed ASAP. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-30-2010, 02:14 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to RobertP
Dealer usually has them in stock

Robert

www.robstireandauto.com for all your car needs and parts
95 bird corn powered 735rwhp and 580 tq
86 bird vortech s trim
10.75 @128.38
95 bird - Vortech t trim
9.98 worlds fastest IRS 4.6 thunderbird
1/8 [email protected]
10.11 @ 139.19 best mph
1.47 best 60ft if I can get a full pass with this 60ftt
All made possible with Braincoating'ôs ported manifolds
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-03-2010, 12:06 PM

Ford will tell you they no longer make the T'Bird filler grommet.

I measured the on on my sons 88 Fox Mustang and it measured the same as mine, so I bought one. The grommet for 79-96 Mustang fits perfect for the 88 T'Bird. It is less than $20.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned

They dont make it anymore. No parts store can get it either. I went thru that with an 88 mustang gt convertible 4 years back. car had been wrecked, bent the filler neck and pierced the neck grommet for the tank. I wound up yanking one off of a gas tank that had just pulled out of a 4 cyl car that was being turned into a drag car.

Check with the companies that make custom fuel tanks like to one I always see that has an aeromotive A1000 built into it and replaces the stock tank. they may make them themselves or know a vendor who can make them. If you are able to leave the car sitting for a bit, pull the tank again and take some measurements of the filler neck diameter on the outside and the hole for the tank lip to lip. those will help anyone who can possibly source one up.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 10:51 PM
BJL
1st Gear Poster

Garage
Send a message via AIM to BJL
go to a ford dealer and ask for this part number.
F4ZZ-9072-DA
i have use it for both my 87 and my 88 TC's

filler neck grommet

the sending unit is also similar to the mustang one... it looks the same i need to put in one f mine to test it and confirm it... i hope it does as they make everything for a mustang now.
but you can use the sending unit out of any 86-88 tbird/cougar/mark VII

Brian J Larkin
1988 Tbird TC 5spd. few bolt ons, 308k miles
1989 Cougar XR7 AOD 110k

Last edited by BJL; 07-21-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: forgot part number
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned

here is one on ebaymotors

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-M...item53e24ca449

$35.95 to your door
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJL View Post
go to a ford dealer and ask for this part number.
F4ZZ-9072-DA
i have use it for both my 87 and my 88 TC's

filler neck grommet

the sending unit is also similar to the mustang one... it looks the same i need to put in one f mine to test it and confirm it... i hope it does as they make everything for a mustang now.
but you can use the sending unit out of any 86-88 tbird/cougar/mark VII
F4ZZ-9072_DA is the p/n the Ford Dealer gave me 2 months ago. I asked for a Grommet for a 98 Mustang. Fit my 88 Bird perfect.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Gonna have to go get me one now.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Koolbreeze

Send a message via AIM to AndyR
I got the filler neck grommet for my 86 (now sold) from the dealership just last summer without a problem. they're proud of it tho. i don't think he even had to order it.

She was driving the car, one thumb on the wheel; cigarette burnin, life to her was no big deal.
Her thin, white tanktop was almost see-thru; I've always been attracted to her dragon tattoo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in