sorry - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-03-2002, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to PUREVIL6996 Send a message via Yahoo to PUREVIL6996
Angry must have money

I AM POSTING THIS OUT OF EXPERIENCE.I OWN A 87 TC,5 SPEED.YES THESE CARS ARE FAST. IN THE LAST 3 WEEKS I HAVE REPLACED THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD, TURBO, VAM, HOSES, AND OTHER THINGS. SINCE I HAVE OWNED THE CAR- BRAKES CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL TURNED. BRAKES AGAIN, INJECTORS, RADIATOR, ALL HOSES, WIRES, PLUGS TIMING BELT, HEADLIGHTS. ALL THESE PARTS ALMOST HAD TO BE ORDERED.SO IF YOU REALLY WANT TO BUY ONE OF THESE CARS I SUGGEST U LOOK INTO THE CAR VERY WEEL AND MAKE SURE U ARE GETTING A DECENT ONE.

Last edited by SuperCoupe; 08-13-2002 at 09:32 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-04-2002, 09:19 PM
1st Gear Poster

That sucks that you've had so many problems with your car, but I don't think it represents all of them. I purchased my car with 171,000 miles for $1000.00 and the only thing I've had to do to it is rebuild the A4LD trans. and install new tires. My car still has the original dated plug wires on it.

'89 SC M5R2
'97 Cobra Convertible
'06 Frontier 4X4
'07 Mazdaspeed6
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

all i have to say is that u got lucky or its all fixing to break.or the person that had it before u fixed it all my bird only has 156,000 on it so trust me it will come!!! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:02 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy sorry

i am sorry if i offended anyone buy posting this message it was not intended to be taken that way.i didnt mean to "hate"on the turbo coupesbut .i own one so how can i do that.i was just making a statement on the car.they do take alot of money to own and if u dont belive me u can check out turbotbird.com to check that opinon out.im sorry again but i was just expressing an opion .i love my thunderbird and that wont change i love tbirds in general.i was just making a statement.and anyway isnt that what this board is here for posting infomation about cars,giving opinons about them.i couldve sworn that that was all i did.

Last edited by PUREVIL6996; 08-07-2002 at 10:59 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Formula 1 Freak

That's cool PUREVIL....I think it was just that when you said:
Quote:
I AM POSTING THIS OUT OF EXPERIENCE
and
Quote:
THIS IS NO EASILY FIXED CAR.ONCE ONE THING GOES SO DOES EVRYTHING ELSE
it kinda sounds like you're making a factual statement, and yelling (or excessive use of caps) makes it seem even more so. We've all had our share of problems with our cars, sometimes it seems like everything goes at once, and it can be very, very frustrating. But it doesn't mean that everyone who owns, or is considering owning a TC will have the same experiences that you have had however. I owned a TC, and while I did have to replace the clutch, and turbo, it treated me very well, and to be quite honest, I really miss it. I also found it fairly easy to work on. I only wish my SC was as easy to repair! Anyway we understand your problems, and frustrations, and I wish you the very best of luck in the future with your TC!!
-Jeff

common sense...
so rare,
it's kind of like
a super power
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 01:50 PM
PostWhore

Angry Money pit

To all that have a bottomless pit of a car. I have have my fair share of problems with cars. I had a 1978 full size that broke every single time I drove it. It's main structural integrity came from duct tape and bailing wire. Not to mention the engine was replace part by part over the two years I owned it. But what do you expect, 150,000 miles on it. Hard miles!!! So to fix your problem, you could buy a brand new car that won't give you grief for the first 100 or so thou. Or walk! The joy of owning a t-bird is learning what make them tick. Each has it's own personallity my wife and kids named ours Irene...So now that you have replaced all this stuff you are going to begin a love affair with your car. My wife jokes that I spend more time in the bird than I do her. . Don't be frustrated...At least you can work on your car yourself. Not like the imports, anyone with man size hands is screwed. On a side note...The thing with the turbo, they go bad do to massive oil build up. Try letting your turbo cool after running it hard. If it has time to cool it will last longer ...

2011 Kia Sorrento
1996 T-bird
*SOLD* 2007 Suzuki M50

Looking for a new ride!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

sorry about the caps sometimes i write with the caps on.force of habit.i just have really had a lot of bad luck with this car.and guess what after fixing it again and everything was right on it finally it blew the gasket that links the turbo to the manifold.i dont know what to do with this car.i cant keep affording to fix it ive already spent more money fixing it than i paid for it.i know that this can happen to any car but,i just cant keep doin it.this car is going to put me out on the street.i love tbirds very much and trust me i had a 83 with the 5.0 in it i sold it a miss it greatly.i would miss my car but i cant afford the car.i dont know what to do.someone please help.like i have a meet with carolina thunder sat and i cant even drive my bird that depresses me and i really want to remain a member of carolina thunder but i can afford to keep the car i was thinking abou selling it and getting a newer one.well any suggestions would be great.thanks
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 03:05 PM
Formula 1 Freak

Sounds to me like you might have bought a lemon. Hey, who knows....maybe it was beat on severly, and not maintained properly when it was new, and now you are experiencing all the headaches. Not to say the last person who owned it neglected it, but sometimes a car reaches a certain age (especially when not taken care of) and things start going, one after another. At this point you have already put a stack of money, and a bunch of time into it, so it might be worth keeping. It's a tough decision...once you do all that, it's hard to just bail out, and who knows about the next one? These are used cars, and NONE are made to last forever as you well know. Either bite the bullit, and fix it, or sell it and get another, better maintained TC. So maybe you won't have a car for the meet....go up with a friend, and have a good time anyway. Talk to some people about it, get a few different opinions, then make a decision. I know it's not that easy, but give it a little time. It's never good to make an important decision when you're frustrated with something!
Best regards,
-Jeff

common sense...
so rare,
it's kind of like
a super power
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

u are right .that was my same thought.if i sell it its no telling what i may get if i get rid of the car.i could get something worse.lol well im going to try to fix it.at least its not something really hard and expensive.at least with the tc i know what has been fixed and what hasnt,unlike another car!!!i know what im in for with the bird!!i have invested lots of money with this car and true i would hate to bac out now.that does seem kinda pointless.lol.oh and as far as the cars history i think that it has always had problems.the previous owner kept the car up and did regular matinice,and from the cars records the car seems to have had problems since it was bought.well i just have to press on right?maybe it was just time for it all to break thats what i just keep telling myself i got it and its just that time foir the car.u know how that is all cars have their good times and bad.well thanks for the advice.
STEPH
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 12:00 AM

Cool not every TC is bad

Just wanted to say that my first vehicle was a silver 83 turbo coupe. yes i still have it all 400,000 miles. and yes the car has been completely gone through and is styling with some new paint as we speak, but anyways as it got older there were occasional mechanical headaches but not any worse than anything else i have owned or worked on. my baby is on it's second engine though launched it a little to hard one night destroyed the ring gear and lets just say a rod exited stage left due to some extreme rpm's. but the new motor is well built and highly modified can't wait to get it to the track. take it easy, a well built TC makes the perfect sleeper.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-17-2002, 05:25 PM
Formula 1 Freak

sounds pretty nice turbo23....maybe post a pic or two when the paint is done. I'd love to see it! I can't tell you how much I loved my 85! Just wish I still had it.
-Jeff

common sense...
so rare,
it's kind of like
a super power
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-19-2002, 12:01 AM

Cool

I'll do that once the paint cures and i can get it buffed out and detailed to the hilt. Even as it sits it looks damn sweet in my garage. Now i am going to have to paint the stang. Time to beg the wife a little more... lol Probably have to remodel the kitchen or something first. OH WELL. long as i get to play with my toys it doesn't matter.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-29-2002, 12:14 AM
1st Gear Poster

Mine has 198xxx miles and it just blew a head gasket. It would've gone more, but it didn't like 26psi out of t3/t04e and no bov.

90 35th anniversary sold
88 turbo coupe 14.1 at 96mph ( almost stock)
93 mustang lx sold
73 pinto station wagon ( mustang replacement), 2.3t will go in there in the future.
86 t-bird just got it
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 08:49 AM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to JJanney
I am looking at buying a TC from a guy in Florida. How is it working on these engines and are the turbos a PITA to tweak? I don't want to blow it up or anything, just a little power. You know, normal kid stuff. Thanks for the info, this has been good to read.

Something Newer...
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 09:01 AM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Easy.....

Quote:
Originally posted by JJanney
I am looking at buying a TC from a guy in Florida. How is it working on these engines and are the turbos a PITA to tweak? I don't want to blow it up or anything, just a little power. You know, normal kid stuff. Thanks for the info, this has been good to read.
I changed a head right in my apartment complex parking lot.Parts are a [email protected] to get anymore though.They are simple to mod though.
Good luck,
Chris
Are you getting a 5-speed or auto?

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:32 PM
PostWhore

Found a 5-speed for a good price, that's what I've wanted since I decided to sell my current bird. I'm going to start finding a site for 4 cylinder parts right now. Yes! A head! Not heads like on a V8... I'll be missing four cylinders but picking that up with boost!

Something Newer...
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Go here....

Quote:
Originally posted by JJanney
Found a 5-speed for a good price, that's what I've wanted since I decided to sell my current bird. I'm going to start finding a site for 4 cylinder parts right now. Yes! A head! Not heads like on a V8... I'll be missing four cylinders but picking that up with boost!
www.turboford.org They have alot of great articles.
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2002, 03:05 PM
PostWhore

Thanks, I've been doing a lot of research into these cars today, in between classes.

Something Newer...
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-09-2002, 11:09 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to anti-rice
i was looking into buying a TC...from what it looks like it should be fairly easy to do things w/ it since its a 4 banger (doesn't hurt when the local junkyard has a spare turbo xr7 )...at least compared to doing engine rebuilds on SC's. i mean just by the numbers, 1 head is easier to deal w/ than 2, esp w/o the SC on top.

White `90 SC - 39k mi For Sale
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-13-2002, 10:11 AM
Formula 1 Freak

In my experience (had a 85 TC in 1986) these cars are relatively easy to work on. Unlike the SC, there is plenty of room under the hood to do what you need to do. On the other hand parts might not be so easy to come by. I know back in 86 many people had problems with the turbo burning out. They may have been improved in the later years, I'm not really sure. Anyway, the turbo was really the only thing I had problems with. Fortunately the car was still under warrantee back then.
Good Luck,
-Jeff

common sense...
so rare,
it's kind of like
a super power

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in