Just bought a TC, got to get it running better - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Just bought a TC, got to get it running better

I just bought a turbo coupe for $300. It's a real hunk of crap. Outside of the body though, there are only some minor engine gremlins, one of which I'm narrowing down tonight. The engine has a hanging idle. After driving and warming up, the RPMs will hang up right around 2K, 2.5K, and 2.7K. Each time I drive the car, the RPMs seem to hang up just a little bit higher.

Now, I've already pulled the IAC and cleaned it. It did help to stabilize the car on start up and will hold an idle at any RPM strongly...eg, it doesn't seem like its pecking for an idle.

I've checked for a sticking throttle cable. With future diagnosis, this check will be rendered useless.

I've listened for vacuum leaks. Further diagnosis also declines this as being an issue.

After driving the car to the grocery store, the idle really wanted to hang up. I can deal with a 500 rpm hang over standard... that acceptable from a $300 car, but when I'm at a light pushing close to 3K...

So I opted to yank the TPS connection...stupid idea in most cases, but again, $300 car.

I drive it home and it runs GREAT! the Idle doesn't spike, the car runs smooth and everything minus the hicckup it has with quick pedal release...

So, if either found that the TPS is indefinately bad, or that by disconnecting it I've limp moded the computer and cloked my real issue.... what are your thoughts? TPS toasted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

tps cant cost that much, throw one in there and see if it solves the problem.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2005, 08:49 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Excess TPS voltage is the most common reason for a high idle, and on the TC's they are adjustable. Check between the black and green wires and set it for a little less than 1v(.85-.95 is good). To adj, you should be able to loosen the mounting screws and rotate the TPS. If it won't adj below 1v, then likely the TPS is defective.

1988 Turbo Coupe... 5.0 conversion... AOD... 3.73s
[email protected] W/90hp shot.. [email protected]

1988 Turbo Coupe... White, 5.0 with Trick Flow heads
1988 Turbo Coupe... Bright Red
1993 F150 Lightning... Black.. #249 of 5276
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-09-2005, 08:18 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
Just as TurboCoupe50 said, I would also guess your TPS is jacked up.Mine has an erratic idle from time to time but I am getting ready to put a 65mm throttle body on it so I am not concerned about it right now.Unless it leaves me stranded along the highway one day.
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

TPS fixed the fast idle... The only running issues I see it having now are its occasional missfire and stumble at idle... When its cold out it wants to miss a little. I don't think there has been a tune up on the car since 1997, let alone an oil change.....

Gunna tackle the oil sending unit cleaning and oil change saturday morning before work...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 02:23 PM
Slacks 12 months a year
TCCoAAC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to LX-Tasy
This may sound stupid but make sure you get Ford Orginal parts when you do the tune up.I didnt believe that when I did my tune up and a few weeks later it started to miss and all, I went to Ford and bought Ford wires, cap, rotor and a Ford TFI and it solved the problem.So instead of spending a little money and a litttle work now, its best to spend a few dollars extra and only do it once.
Thanks,
Chris

"My Other Ride Is Your Girl"
"If Nissan motorsports is Nismo, wouldn't Honda Motorsports be Homo?"
Before the internet, the village idiot would stay in his own village
REAL RACERS DRIVE STRAIGHT TO THE FINISH LINE, WHILE THE OTHERS DRIVE AROUND IN CIRCLES LOOKING FOR IT
05 Supercharged Ranger Edge tuned by www.blueovalchips.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in