2.3 Rebuild - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Reaper 94lx
2.3 Rebuild

I'm going to rebuild the 2.3 in my 87 TurboCoupe and I want to know what the best parts to use and everything I'll need to replace. I'm looking for about 280hp and 330ft-lbs. I want to build it as a strong street car mostly. If I finish the car I'd love to take it to Road Atlanta.
Douglas

94 Thunderbird 4.6 4R70W 3.08 Died on 12-13-05 rearended and totaled
87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 2.3 T5 3.55 Locker!!! Stock and needs a cam
95 Thunderbird Black 4.6 Richard M Intake K&M 4R70W about to get a 2003 J-mod 4R70W 3.08 new owner since 4-22-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 10:51 AM
1st Gear Poster

What makes you think the bottom end needs any work? Even high milage TCs with the stock lower end are holding up to much more horsepower than you are planning on. I'm sitting at about 325 at the rear wheels (Ive or take a few HP) in my 87 with 285K on the odometer. Bottom end has never been touched, not once. What i would do is a compression test, and if the numbers look good, don't f with it. Now as far as other parts to make your goal, I'd get yout head ported, or go with an essliger aluminum head; either an AR237 Cam or a Ranger Roller (Wich since its a roller = no wear, get a junkyard one) A .63 T3 turbo, a decent front mount intercooler, 255 Walbro fuel pump, a Kirban AFPR, SIngle 3" exhaust with high flow mufflers, The 3" downpipe, and a good set of MOTORCRAFT tune-up parts..... No Platinums, no Iridiums, no MSD 6AL, nothing like that. The stock ignition system ( In good working order) Will also support MUCh more than you are looking to get out of the engine, and plus there have been issues with non-stock parts interfering with other engine management systems. Set your timing at about 12* BTDC, unplug your KS, and giver hell. A good tune will do wonders. Use Felpro gaskets, rubber where available, and replace all cooling lines rubber and metal, on the car. I'll post more when i think of it.

88 Thunderbird TC : Black, Full Griggs GR-40 Suspention, Gillis Valve set at 20 LBS, 2.5" cat back exhaust with flowmaster 50 series mufflers and 3" chrome tips. Leather, Sunroof, LOADED.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-26-2006, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Reaper 94lx
Shaihullud that sounds good but I want to use the factory intercooler and hood scoops and I want to rebuild the bottom end because it won't take that much more to do it and never have to worry about it. I bought the car and every time I find something wrong and fix it so it will run something else goes wrong and its parked again so I want to make sure everything is working this time.

94 Thunderbird 4.6 4R70W 3.08 Died on 12-13-05 rearended and totaled
87 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 2.3 T5 3.55 Locker!!! Stock and needs a cam
95 Thunderbird Black 4.6 Richard M Intake K&M 4R70W about to get a 2003 J-mod 4R70W 3.08 new owner since 4-22-06
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 07:18 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
From what I've read, the stock intercooler on the T'Birds has virtually no cooling effect at all. It just doesn't get anough air into it even with the scoops, nor does the air have anywhere to go once it is through the cooler.

I had an 85 that I installed the intercooler and 87 hood on and I noticed absolutely no difference.

Everything I researched said go with a front mounted cooler. Even with the increased plumbing distance, the increased cooling adds more power.

Just my .02!

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in