Looking for some guidence - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

Question Looking for some guidence

I'm new to the Thunderbird scene, but have been wrenching on their Mustang cousins for years.

I'm about to pick up a 87 TC and plan on putting a 5.0 w/ t-5 in it. All of the hard work has already been done for me ... all it needs is engine, tranny, and exhaust

I've noticed that there seems to alot of things to consider when it comes to exhaust for the t-birds and was wondering if anyone could offer me some guidence that would save me some time, money, and (undoubtedly) headache. I need headers, midpipe, and catback so any feedback is more than welcome. Side note: I do have the entire exhaust from my 88 LSC at my disposle if that helps

Also, I have some questions about what's out there in the way of suspesion and chassis mod's for the turbocoupe ... any suggestions?

I'm open to any helpful info guys, and thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 03:54 AM
Sweet T

Send a message via AIM to SanDiegoLXBird
So the TC already has the 5.0 in it?

1994 SC 5-Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2253560
1996 4.6L R.I.P December 02, 2004
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/560841
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 04:46 AM Thread Starter

No, it did have a 5.0 and Tremec Trans in it, but those were pulled and used on another project. As far as the 5.0 part goes, I have that covered. The TC is already setup for a 5 spd with all of the necessary hardware and it also comes with a v8 EEC and wiring harness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

My main concern is how to go about doing the exhaust and what options are there for suspension and chassis upgrades.

are there clearance issues with certain brand headers? ect ..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 07:46 AM
1st Gear Poster

There are lots of mustang parts that will fit the T-Birds up to 88. All of them are Fox bodies. The T-Bird is a little longer so keep that in mind with the exhaust. As far as I know just about any header for a mustang will fit those T-Birds as will the H-Pipe or X-Pipe. The front control arms and sway bar are longer on the T-Bird but the rest of the parts will interchange. Does the TC you have still have the electronic shocks and struts? Shocks and struts will fit from a mustang and so will the springs but keep in mind that the T-Bird is heavier so ride hight will not be the same. Hope some of this will help
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

The front shocks are Ford '99 Cobra struts. I think the rear are stock Turbo Coupe. The springs are stock Turbo Coupe that were cut to lower the car. So rear upper/lower control arms will interchange?

Thanks for taking the time to respond!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 08:16 AM Thread Starter

So I should be able to use the headers and midpipe from a mustang, but I'll have to figure something else out for the exhaust?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-23-2006, 11:10 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Nativedetroiter Send a message via MSN to Nativedetroiter Send a message via Yahoo to Nativedetroiter
yes

Ya, its funny, Funny like a Clown.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2006, 09:05 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to SLEEPER T-BIRD 87 Send a message via Yahoo to SLEEPER T-BIRD 87
headers, h or x pipe will fit from a 79-93 stang. the flow tubes are longer on the t-bird. tailpipes will have to be custom made.

1987 TURBO COUPE -- 429/c-6 .headers,motorsports cam,ported heads,750 holley,high rise intake,electric waterpump,big shot plate kit,much much more!!!!!!
new numbers coming soon!!!

1988 5.0 BIRD ------ BEATER
long tubes,2.5 h pipe hi flow cats,mac flowpath mufflers,h.o intake/throttlebody swap,underdrives,short belt, electric fan, etc.............................

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in