2.3L distributor questions... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-28-2002, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to willum
2.3L distributor questions...

We're working on a turbo coupe that needs a new stator in the distributor. The only problem is that the center shaft underneath the distributor cap has a plate that the armature screws into.

I need to know how to get this plate off of that shaft so that i can get the old stator out and the new one in. I think the haynes manual says to use a gear puller to get it off, but that seems a little excessive.

Also, we are planning on installing a new ignition module while we are at it and the only manual we have says that its supposed to be a 7/32 " socket that will take it out, but the socket won't even fit into the hole in the housing of the module, and any of the sockets that will, won't seem to bite onto anything once in there.

I read on another site that there is a special tool needed for this but haven't heard of one beforehand. Can anyone help me out here?

thanks in advance.
Willum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-01-2002, 11:41 PM
1st Gear Poster

The socket is a 5.5 mm. What I did was put a 1/4" drive socket (the 5.5 mm) onto an extension, and used a bench grinder to grind down the walls, until it fit. I just had the new TFI module sitting next to me, so I could check it constantly, making sure it would fit inside AND turn! Be careful, it gets really hot. As for the plate you're talking about, I can't help you. Sorry.

Rick

Quote from 93sleeper: "Slow down, you guys are talking too fast. I'm trying to eat a taco!"
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-02-2002, 06:30 PM
1st Gear Poster

GO to any parts store and ask for a ford ignition module tool, they should have it for like $5 or so.

90 35th anniversary sold
88 turbo coupe 14.1 at 96mph ( almost stock)
93 mustang lx sold
73 pinto station wagon ( mustang replacement), 2.3t will go in there in the future.
86 t-bird just got it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 08:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to shiftless
The Haynes manual is right. Use something small to drive the pin out of the distributor gear, then use a gear puller to pull the gear off the shaft. It will come off easily. DO NOT attempt to pry it off, you will break pieces off the gear and it will turn into a major disaster. After the gear is off, the shaft will come right out of the distributor and you can change the pickup. This is the ONLY way to do it.

As dmitry said, there is a tool available at any parts store called the "Ford TFI ignition tool". It's basically a 5.5mm socket with a thin wall to fit into the hole on the module, and with a handle on it to turn.

Rick: sup!

Nathan Cline
'88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 10:39 PM
1st Gear Poster

Hi Nathan.

Rick

Quote from 93sleeper: "Slow down, you guys are talking too fast. I'm trying to eat a taco!"
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 10:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Re: 2.3L distributor questions...

Quote:
Originally posted by willum

I need to know how to get this plate off of that shaft so that i can get the old stator out and the new one in. I think the haynes manual says to use a gear puller to get it off, but that seems a little excessive.

Note the above post. I believe shiftless is saying to pull the distributor and take the cam gear off the bottom. The shaft will then pull out.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in