Questions about turbo to V8 swap?????? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Questions about turbo to V8 swap??????

I'm looking for a 85-88 T-Bird TurboCoupe 5spd (In case the 98 MK8 falls through). I want the turbo cause V8's didn't have 5spd's. I need to know the difficulty of swapping a 5.0 or a 4.6 Cobra into the turbos place. I'd really like a 351 if it would fit...? Anyway I'd like to know what size rear end is in the turbo's (8.8?). And Transmission (T-5?). It really doesn't matter since a 9in. rear end would replace it and a Tremec tranny would go in. I'm just looking to pack as much power in and still be street legal, but barely . Hee Hee!!! My ideal car would be a supercharged 351 (like the saleen engine) with a tremec transmission and a 9in rear end with 4.10's. Or something like that. My target horse power goal is at least 385. But I guess I can settle for about 350.... I can always add nitrous. 1/4 mile E.T. of about mid 11's. Gas mileage I really don't care it's going to be a trailer baby and weekend cruiser anyway. Well if anyone can let me know the easiest way to achieve my goal please let me know. Again if I can acquire a Mark 8 none of this will be necessary until a few years later. Thanks for reading this I can be reached at [email protected] .All information is appreciated thank you.

Nick in St.Louis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 08:22 AM
6th Gear Poster

Blasphemy!!!!!!!
2.3 turbo is awesome. And has some real potential. I read about one of these engines in a pinto running a 9 seccond quarter. That has to be some real horsepower. If you are going to replace the heart of this car then I guess I will have to deal. If you want to sell a 2.3 turbo.....Please let me know.

The 351 will fit. But depending on your intake manifold you may need a cowl hood. The rear is an 8.8 inch. The manuals had 3.55 gears and the autos had a 3.73 ratio. The 8.8 has enough strength to handle what kind of horsepower you are thinking. The 8.8 is nearly all of the strength of the 9 inch but people prefer it because of its aftermarket and drop out center section for ease of changing gear ratios. If you want to swap in for a carbed motor, the swap will be pretty easy. If you want to swap for a fuel injected motor, you will want to get a full wiring harness and an EEC.

Hope this helps.

danman

PS, In my opinion you would be much cooler running a 350 horsepower 2.3 turbo....It can be done.

94 Tbird LX
4.6l V8
B&M Shift kit
More mods to come.
At first I worked on out of necesity(because I had no money)
Now I work on cars out of obsession
(and I still don't have any money)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 08:34 AM
Cougar Pilot

Any idea what kind of numbers a stock Turbo Coupe puts out?

TCCoA, there's no better way.
BlackCat94 - The Revolution.
1994 XR7 - Intake Tube, LMAF, March Underdrive Pulleys, J-Modded '00 Mustang Trans, Marauder T/C,
TruBendz 2.5" SS True Duals, Apten Flip Chip, FRPP 4.10s & Trac Lock, etc.

[email protected] with 3.27 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 12:19 PM
6th Gear Poster

87-88
190 hp with manual trans
160 hp with automatic trans.

The automatic was limited to 12 pounds of boost.
danman

94 Tbird LX
4.6l V8
B&M Shift kit
More mods to come.
At first I worked on out of necesity(because I had no money)
Now I work on cars out of obsession
(and I still don't have any money)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 07:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to shiftless
One question: why?

Why the hell do you want to buy a unique, hard-to-find Turbo Coupe, only to butcher it and make it a trailer queen? Why not buy a 5.0 bird to do that to? The manual tranny, pedals, etc will BOLT IN to any T-bird of these years. I should know, since I just converted my 88 from an auto to a 5 speed. So again, WHY?

Nathan Cline
'88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2002, 07:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to shiftless
Oh, another note- You're wanting to build a full-out drag car with 9" rear, Tremec transmission, 351W, but you want to start out with a five speed car because you can't handle the gruesome details of a tranny swap? What the hell? Why don't you do everyone a favor and just stay away from the Turbo Coupe with this nonsense.

Better yet, go find a TC for sale somewhere, and go speak to the owner. After they spend 30 mins talking to you about the TC with that misty, far-away look their eyes, remembering the good times they've had with the car, and wishing they didn't have to sell it, then tell them about your plans (if your conscience doesn't stop you), and see the disgusted look on their face. Yes, it's disgusting what you want to do to such a rare car. You will complete destroy its value and one day you will be kicking yourself in the *** wishing you'd found a different car to butcher.

Nathan Cline
'88 Thunderbird TurboCoupe
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-22-2002, 11:40 AM
1st Gear Poster

I've got better plans, how about twin turbo 460 in a turbo coupe, that would kick ***. It'll be really fast turbo coupe.

90 35th anniversary sold
88 turbo coupe 14.1 at 96mph ( almost stock)
93 mustang lx sold
73 pinto station wagon ( mustang replacement), 2.3t will go in there in the future.
86 t-bird just got it
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 10:34 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

http://www.windsor-fox.com/main.htm

As for the specs. The early 83-86 birds had 7.5 rears. I converted an 85 to HO and wish I had back. I think the 85-86 cars are the best looking bird they built. I wish I could find another rust free car. And I would now keep it 2.3. If you've ever driven one you would understand. It doesn't have that much HP but with some of the today technology WHOA!.

I ain't poopooing the swap in no way. Go for it. To do the swaps mentioned you really don't have to destroy the car in anyway and could restore back to pristine if the $$$ so said to do so. I know I've done it.

Good luck and watch the local auctions. I find the early cars in Pick-n-Pull here all the time and they pay about 100.00 for their cars so a good prospect is aout there.

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2003, 02:57 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to TBird232ci
I agree not to butcher a TC, but its what you want to do. As for the 302/351 swap, its been done in fox cougars/bird, the 351 barely clears the hood

now, you say you want the TC becauseo f the T5...that T5 wont hold up long behind a stock high output 302, they are only designed to hold up to about 240 ft/lbs of torque, if you want to go with a built 302 or 351, your definatly going to want a tremec

the T5 swap isnt that bad, the hardest part is mounting the pedals, pedals from any fox stang will work, and just get everything from a mustang, but youll need the console and radio surround from a turbo coupe or sport coupe
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 08:35 AM

What is this nonsense about hurting the "rare" turbo coupe cars? My god, there's more of them on the road than the "sport" V8 cars.

The 87-88 Turbocoupe is one of the best options for a V8 swap. Why?

ABS, 16" wheels, larger front brakes, DISC rear brakes, 8.8 Axle, better gears for a V8 (this compared to an XR7, or a "sport" Tbird of the same vintage).

However, you can get most of the same advantages, with even less work, with an 88-92 Mark VII LSC. You get 5 lug, you get 5.0 HO, already installed, and even larger rear brakes. Just throw in a 5 speed, and it's ready to go to town!

--Ed

1987 Cougar XR7 - Powerdyne Supercharged 306, 5 speed, tons of mods 390 RWHP, 425 RWTQ.

1991 Crown Victoria, Police Interceptor - 460 Big Block, C6 Automatic.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 08:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Have you seen

Quote:
Originally posted by 1FSTCAT

However, you can get most of the same advantages, with even less work, with an 88-92 Mark VII LSC. You get 5 lug, you get 5.0 HO, already installed, and even larger rear brakes. Just throw in a 5 speed, and it's ready to go to town!

--Ed
The Mark 7's here in Houston seem to be getting more rare. I always thought about hotrodding one of those. Have you seen one where someone has removed the bags for regular suspension? I wouldn't think it that hard since it is based on the fox
platform as well.

R

95 SC 5-speed The Toy in Storage now.
95 SC Auto Newest storage queen.
91 Festiva 1.3L baby 5 speed
03 Crown Vic Sport 4.6... driver
10 Flex Brick Twin Turbos
*Rodney*
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2003, 09:21 AM

I haven't seen one with my own eyes, but I know the kits are regularly available. (I see them on Ebay all the time (search "mark air"). From the talk I've seen on the LSC boards, other than replacing the bags every 10 years, the air suspension seems to be pretty reliable, and it even stands up to the abuse that an "enthusiest" puts forth.

1987 Cougar XR7 - Powerdyne Supercharged 306, 5 speed, tons of mods 390 RWHP, 425 RWTQ.

1991 Crown Victoria, Police Interceptor - 460 Big Block, C6 Automatic.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in