FMIC Installed, Pics - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

FMIC Installed, Pics

Forgot to post these pics up here. Car pulls like a mutha, can't wait to get 100 octane in it again and up the boost a few PSI...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27.../ICTubing3.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27.../ICTubing2.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27.../ICTubing1.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...Spring2007.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Awesome, looks good, and now I don't need to ask what FMIC means, just looking at the pictures and the fact the hood mounted intercooler is gone and there is a front mounted one :lightbulb: saved me the trouble of asking, and I couldn't be bothered to search for it!

Makes me want a turbo fox Cougar (or a Thunderbird, but I am partial to Cougars for no good reason).

--
97 Mark VIII LSC/Silver/Gray leather
97 Cougar 4.6 Sport/White Opalescent Tricoat Metallic /Gray leather down but not out?
89 Cougar LS 3.8/Oxford White/Gray velour/HG need replaced AGAIN
00 Grand Marquis LS/Vibrant White/Gray velour
63 Falcon 302/black and rust/shed isn't moving
82 F-150/Oxford White/dumb VV carb doesn't pass emissions
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:19 AM

Where did you get the tubes for that? i almost pulled one off a volvo at the junk yard today..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

There is a guy over on NATO and TurboFord who goes by the name of Stinger, he fabs up this stuff. I have his 3" exhaust and IC tubing in my car. Very high quality, very good prices. Regarding the Volvo FMIC, don't bother (IMO), it has plastic end tanks. Although I haven't heard about people having problems with them, I don't think I'd trust an IC with plastic end-tanks to hold 20+ PSI without blowing off. You'd really want the NPR intercooler. Its what I have and is awesome.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:50 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Midgetchaser
yea dont go with the volvo's IC. very small inlet and outlet on them too.

BrokeDickRacing

1987 thunderbird TC
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 PM
5th Gear Poster

Ive never heard of anyone having any problems with a volvo ic. I was actually planning on running one at around 22#, But that changed when someone gave me an alum. bar and plate intercooler.

Im kind of curious is stinger will sell just the piping for his FMIC intercooler setup and how much coin would I have to drop to get it.

'95 T-Bird - Light green, 98 Crown Vic Police Interceptor Engine, 96 Grand Marquis Tranny, 3.27 Trac-loc, Ford MotorSports Trans cooler, Sport Springs, Blaupunkt Richmond, Memphis Car Audio 5x7's, Cerwin-Vega 150.2 powering mids/highs, Volgenhag 4-channel 1200w amp (junk), 2 Memphis Car Audio 12's

'88 T-bird turbo - Silver, 5spd, Rebuilt Engine, t-3 .63, Custom FMIC, Bobs Big Log, Bob's 3" Elbow, Walbro 255lph, Maximum Motorsports Coil-over Kit, Bilstein HD struts, Hypercoil 200# 14" Springs, Caster/Camber Plates, Ranger Roller, Gillis Valve at 20#, 3in. Side-Dump Exhaust, NGK Iridium XI Plugs, Jacobs C-4 Coil, High Volume Oil Pump, MAX PSI Oil Lines, Poly Bushings, 245/50/R16 Nitto 450's, Autocross car
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:52 PM

nice looking car...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Hobohuey, I believe he will sell just the IC tubing. A while back I had purchased a Spearco IC and wanted to buy his IC tubing. I forget what the price was, but it was pretty reasonable. Shoot him an email, he's pretty good about getting back to people.

http://www.stinger-performance.com

He is one of the few people offering the "bread and butter" type parts that a lot of people need, but don't necessarily want to fab up themselves. I have ordered stuff from him a couple times, and plan on doing so in the future. Nice guy and very knowledgeable.

Also, regarding the Volvo IC, I have read that it is pretty restrictive compared to the large NPR.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 11:24 PM

Question

I just bought an 87 Turbo coupe ($500!!!) and my girlfriend has a 97 Saab Turbo with a dead engine. I was looking at the Saab's Garrett turbo and was wondering the obvious question: Can I put that on MY car?? Same with the FMIC??? One other thing was... can I run some sort of oil cooling system for the turbo? I put in a new radiator that has an internal trans cooler. Can I pipe oil through that for the turbo?

A few details also...
168,ish miles, Gillis boost valve, no sunroof, no corner lights, no power antenna, radio is junk, no auto lights, body has been hit and repaired in several spots, lousy 15" A.R.E. wheels, (need originals, anyone have any?) getting a 6" K+N cone filter tomorrow, new 'heavy duty' radiator, plugs, wires, cap, coil, rotor, trans and diff fluids, hoses, serpentine belt, alignment done... and new wipers!

just kidding... here's the $500 wonder car

What can I do next???
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Well where to start. I don't think you'd want to run the Saab turbo. It might fit, but your best bet would be to go with a Ford T3, like from the 83-86 Turbo Coupes, Mustang SVO and Merkur XR4TI. There are different exhaust housing sizes, so you'll have to decide if you want faster spool or more pull up top. The IHI is a lot of fun around town (stock turbo). FYI, the IHI has oil (for lubrication) and water lines (coolant) going to it. Some turbos aren't equipped for water cooling, so keep that in mind. To start with, you should put a high-flowing filter on the thing so it can breathe better. Also, make sure it is tuned up and running well. I presume that you have the automatic, is that correct? If that is the original auto tranny, it won't last long under high boost conditions, just so you know.

There are a lot of options for FMIC's, but all pretty much require some fab work. I am very happy with the install and performance of my setup. Feel free to PM me with more specific questions you may have.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 08:42 PM

The Bird has the T-5 in it and it's been pretty crisp shifting so far. I looked closer at that Saab IC and realized it only one inlet (outlet?) tube on the driver's side. I thought ICs had openings on both sides? There goes that idea... As for free flowing I picked up a 6" K&N cone filter today and will be putting it in tomorrow, weather permitting. I am planning to seal it off and duct in air from the fender where the corner light would be mounted. There's a GMC Typhoon around here that has a similar set-up, the thing sounds NASTY!
Are T3s hard to find/install? How could I keep my IHI cooler? I'd like to pipe the oil throught the trans cooler in the radiator, (since I don't have an auto trans) or could I do that with the coolant? I'm kinda concerned with cooling the turbo thinking it'll make it boost better... this is my first turbo car so I am concerned with everything running cooler.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 11:57 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to thunderbirdlver Send a message via Yahoo to thunderbirdlver
that looks so freakin awesome!

If your exhaust tip is larger than your cylinder bore, then you are a Ricer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in