TCCoA Forums banner

P3M Code ECM Question

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  MadMikeyL 
#1 ·
I recently acquired a P3M code ECM out of a 1993 5.0 T-Bird in hopes of using it in a MAF conversion project on my 1990 F150. The VIN on the donor car shows a "T" engine code.

Further research indicates that the 1993 T-Bird might utilize the HO version of the 5.0 which, as I understand it, uses the firing order more typical of the 351W, that is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 as opposed to the standard firing order for a 5.0 of 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8.

Can anyone confirm this for me? If the firing order has changed, a cam change would be necessary that I'm not interested in.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rob
Spring Hill, TN

#2 ·
Yes, the t-bird uses the HO motor, which is the 351 firing order. I’m pretty sure all MAF equipped 5.0’s used that firing order, so unless I am wrong, you aren’t going to find a MAF car with the SO firing order. However a cam swap is not necessary. It will actually run fine with the firing order wrong. Your stock computer now batch fires the injectors, so the whole left bank fires at one time, then the whole right bank. Injector timing affects emissions at idle, and possibly idle quality a little bit, but won’t have any effect on the engine running down the road. That being said, if you want to change it, all that is needed is moving the injector wiring around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.