4Likes
  • 2 Post By MadMikeyL
  • 1 Post By theterminator93
  • 1 Post By Grog6

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

When is custom tune needed?

I've looked around a bit and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for so I was wondering if there's a list (here or elsewhere) of mods for the 4.6 (2-valve in my case) that require/don't require a custom chip tune. What I'm looking for is basically 2 columns, the first for stuff that can be done to the engine and the stock computer can adapt to (coil packs/wires, water pump, etc.) and then the second for stuff that need a custom tune because either the stock computer can't really take advantage of the changes or simply won't accept them and so the car runs crappy or not at all.

I have done little to my '95 Thunderbird so far beyond a J-Mod rebuild of my automatic (the ~300HP "mild" version), JBA shorty headers, Magnaflow cat pipes and a dual exhaust after the cats (I will stay California compliant there). I believe none of what I've done matters that much to the stock computer and doesn't rise to the level of needing a custom tune (car runs great, sounds better than when I started) but maybe I'm wrong about that.

Also, is there a rundown of different types of custom tunes and what companies do the best work without being stupid expensive? I understand that there are different types of changes, some that don't really hinge on aftermarket parts (changing shift points, rev limits) and other changes that are necessary because of different cams or compression changes or intake changes. I was thinking about having one of those that has more than one tune on it so that I can swap to "stock" for smog testing and then back to custom tune for the mods.

At some point I believe I'll get a set of '97 or so NPI heads done at Modular Motorsports (they are "local" to me in Camarillo) which I assume means PI or similar cams and porting + misc. drivetrain parts. That along with new timing chains/tensioners, oil pump and who knows what else I assume will be installed by them there and at that point I'd expect that they'd do a custom tune for the motor. What I'm wondering about is how much stuff can I do to the car that will be accepted by the stock computer so that I don't cross that line and change something that makes the car hate me because the stock computer is insulted and won't accept that change, hence the 2 lists question (all the changes that don't bother the stock computer/stuff that shouldn't be done without a custom tune).

"When I've had a chance to consult my physician about the possible side effects of Spectavere? Side effects which include dry mouth and diarrhea, wet mouth and constipation, butt sneezing, hysterical deafness, unwelcomed night running, dusty semen..."

- Megan Fox as Reagan in "New Girl"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:23 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
You "need" a tune if you change the MAF or injectors. Other than that, the computer can usually adapt pretty well, however with certain things like a different intake manifold, larger cams, or ported heads, you will sometimes have issues with it holding an idle. Also once you get past a certain power level, you have maxed out the stock injectors and MAF, so at that point you would have to upgrade those parts, and therefore have to have a tune to tell the computer what MAF and injectors are in it now. That being said, there are 2 things to consider. First, nothing you have done to the car will require a tune. Second, a tune, even with a completely stock motor, will be a more noticeable improvement in acceleration than the sum total of everything you have done.
Grog6 and CDsDontBurn like this.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 07:27 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
A short, general list of things that do require a tune...

Any modification to the MAF sensor. Replacement with a stock, unmodified part not included.
A differential gear change more than two steps in any direction (e.g. 3.27 to 4.10)
Changes to combustion [chamber] characteristics (e.g. PI or TFS heads, compression changes, radical cam swaps that induce dynamic compression changes) that require spark adjustments
Modifications to the fuel delivery system that affects flow rate (injector size, pressure)

Things that don't require a tune (but are often be better taken advantage of with)...

Drivetrain modifications such as the J-mod, higher stall converters, gear changes (of any size)
A higher volume fuel pump
Mild changes to intake or cams (e.g. PI intake or PI cams)
Exhaust system modifications (headers, duals, crossover pipes etc.)
Thermostat adjustment (e.g. from 195 to 180)

None of this is exhaustive, but hopefully it gives you a good idea.

For mail order tunes, Don LaSota is the one I think of. He wrote most of the in-program descriptions of the SCT PRP back in the day, and has written several tuning manuals. He is incredibly knowledgeable - and has a good way of breaking down what seems like a complicated task into simple steps.
CDsDontBurn likes this.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 02:11 AM
PostWhore

Here is a bit more in depth as well but basically a re-hash of whats already been covered

New Orleans Tuning - EFIDynoTuning.com

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 03:06 AM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Damn, Decipha, you've done good!!

I wish you'd been doing this 10 years ago, when I was getting into tuning. :0

It would have saved me a ton of cash.

When I run into something I can't solve, I'll call you for sure.
RalphP likes this.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:24 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post
Here is a bit more in depth as well but basically a re-hash of whats already been covered

New Orleans Tuning - EFIDynoTuning.com
Thanks! I plan on getting a custom tune once I swap to a pair of '97 ported NPI heads with PI or other cams. By then all the mods I think I want for the car will have been finished.

"When I've had a chance to consult my physician about the possible side effects of Spectavere? Side effects which include dry mouth and diarrhea, wet mouth and constipation, butt sneezing, hysterical deafness, unwelcomed night running, dusty semen..."

- Megan Fox as Reagan in "New Girl"
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 06:22 AM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Nice Avatar Decephia. Very appropriate as we approach the anniversary of 9/11.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Today, 02:00 AM
PostWhore

thanks Its actually the logo for the efidynotuning forum

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in