TCCoA Forums banner

Getting Ready to order some new shocks

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  tbirdguy 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm only interested in OEM Motorcraft parts and I am looking at Rock Auto's website but they list two different shocks -

MOTORCRAFT Part # ASHV14
XR-7; w/o Sport Option; 2 required per vehicle; Front

Applicable to the following cars:
FORD EXCURSION (2000 - 2005)
MERCURY COUGAR XR-7 1996​

AND

MOTORCRAFT Part # AM589G {#F4SZ18124A}
XR-7; w/o Sport Option; 2 required per vehicle; Front

Applicable to the following cars:
FORD THUNDERBIRD LX (1994 - 1997)
MERCURY COUGAR XR-7 (1994 - 1997)​

My gut feeling says to go with the second set since I don't think the Excursion and only the 96 Cougar shared shocks. In addition that Rock Auto part number doesn't show anything up in a search on TCCOA.

I also plan on getting new mounts as well. I'm only changing them out because the ride is like crap now...pretty sure I'm at 235k on the original shocks. Nothing else on the suspension appears to be worn out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Well.. you might look into aftermarket, upgrade shocks... they can be very good. I love the KYB's I put on mine

If you're determined to get OEM Motorcraft... I agree with your gut.

BUT my concern is this.. if the shocks are all original... then the bushings, etc. are to most likely. And NO bushing will last for 235,000 miles... I'd give your bushings, and ball joints a serious look over. That could help explain the ride like crap.

#4 · (Edited)
BUT my concern is this.. if the shocks are all original... then the bushings, etc. are to most likely. And NO bushing will last for 235,000 miles... I'd give your bushings, and ball joints a serious look over. That could help explain the ride like crap.
I've replaced the other suspension parts as they have worn, both upper control arms, tie rods, both lower ball joints and the strut rod bushings. But it is coming up in 100k miles on some of the parts I have replaced already.

However that being said, I was going to have everything checked out during the install.

My main reason for wanting Motorcraft is I want to maintain the factory ride, I don't have any interest in making it more "sporty". Do some of these aftermarket shocks offer as soft as a ride as the OEM?

#5 ·
Go figure that www.motorcraft.com has the same part numbers listed as Rock Auto, as in they also show that the 96 Cougar and the Excursion share the same shock!

Part No: ASHV14
Desc: R Shock Absorber - Shocks & Struts
Manufacturer: MOTORCRAFT
Years: 96 - 05
Applications: 21
App Years Make Model Engine Qty Per Vehicle

2 96-96 MERCURY COUGAR All Engines 2

6 00-01 FORD TRUCK EXCURSION All Engines 2

3 02-02 FORD TRUCK EXCURSION All Engines 2

10 03-05 FORD TRUCK EXCURSION All Engines 2
However since it does show the other part numbers as well, I will purchase those.

Thanks for the motorcraft link, that can be useful!

#6 ·
The excursion and cougar/bird do not share the same front shocks, that is definitely a mistake.

#7 ·
No, but they could easily share the same rear shock. The rear shock design of our cars is fairly common, though I do have a hard time believing that the biggest SUV built would share the same valving(?) as the MN12

#8 ·
I thought he was referring to the fronts... I forgot off hand how the rears are mounted on an Excursion however.

#11 ·
Do people have some sort of aversion to walking into an auto parts store and asking for what they want at the parts counter? That would be the easiest way to get the stock-replacement shocks that you want, and most stores will get you the Motorcraft brand if that's what you want.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.