TCCoA Forums banner

Slicks 101???

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Teeps 
#1 ·
well, i've been thinking about going to the track and i know i could go and use my street tires, but i always have a ton of wheel spin when i floor it from a stop on the road, and i don't want that on the track. I have been looking into getting slicks but there are a few problems.

1. i have no idea which ones or which sizes to get
2. the stock rims for my mark are 16" so won't it be hard to find slicks for that?

i noticed that there's a tires 101 thread (which i read btw, as well as searching) so i thought maybe there should be a slicks 101 thread.:confused:

i also have some other questions about slicks, but i don't want to create another thread.

couldn't you use bigger or smaller diameter tires/slicks to have the same effect as a rear gear change?

I know what size tire my car came with stock, how does that translate to slick size?

When it comes to slicks you don't need the speedo to read correctly because the system at the track will tell you your speed as well as your ET correct?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll try and answer a few...

well, i've been thinking about going to the track and i know i could go and use my street tires, but i always have a ton of wheel spin when i floor it from a stop on the road, and i don't want that on the track. I have been looking into getting slicks but there are a few problems.

1. i have no idea which ones or which sizes to get I would find a set of stock fanblades(15's), and use those as a dedicated drag wheel.
2. the stock rims for my mark are 16" so won't it be hard to find slicks for that? read above, many sizes in 15's.

i noticed that there's a tires 101 thread (which i read btw, as well as searching) so i thought maybe there should be a slicks 101 thread.:confused:

i also have some other questions about slicks, but i don't want to create another thread.

couldn't you use bigger or smaller diameter tires/slicks to have the same effect as a rear gear change?
yes..
I know what size tire my car came with stock, how does that translate to slick size?
lets say your car came with 225/60/16. That would translate to a 26 1/2" tall tire, by alomst 9 inches wide.
so you would look for something in the 26x8x15 or 28x8x15(I know I have 15's here.....). try this site for tire size by height, http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire_size_conversion.htm

When it comes to slicks you don't need the speedo to read correctly because the system at the track will tell you your speed as well as your ET correct?
and yes, all that is done by the track stuff.

#3 ·
Are you looking for Slicks or Drag Radials? How well is the track prepped that you intend on going to?

Well prepped tracks, the drag radials work as well as the slicks do. Poorly prepped tracks, you are probably better with slicks.

Mickey Thompson makes 16" Drag Radials and 16" slicks and I would highly recommend these tires.

If you are going to be getting serious with the car, you will save a bit of weight going to the 15" rim/tire combo.

#5 ·
The track near you Preps extremly well. NYIRP is a good track. I have a set of slicks on 15's Ill be more then happy to share with you but you"ll have to remove your rear swaybar I think. These puppys are wide and I had to remove mine.

#6 ·
I use weld wheel pro stars 15 by 10 with M+H Racemaster DOT 275/50/15. Launch at 5,000 rpm. Ive had these about 5 yrs, AND 1,000 passes on multiple cars. I love them and will never use anythingelse, but thats me.

#7 ·
What backspace to fit a 15x 10?!?! I thought I would have to go with a 16" rim to even get close to clearance for a 9-10" width... Do yours stick way out?

#8 ·
If you can help it, you want to stay with a narrower tire that will hook. The more contact patch you have, the slower it will be. I've got a set of 26x8x15" ET streets that I used for my mustang. I didn't have to ease out the clutch at all. I would litterally pop my clutch at 4k and them tires would dead hook every time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.