TCCoA Forums banner

SeaFoam Trans Tune

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  BUCK 
#1 ·
When I bought my '96 LX (4.6 with 52k miles) in November of '03 I commented to my wife about how smooth the transmission shifts were. Fast forward to today, I just turned 124k and the shifts are somewhat harsh. Sometimes there is somewhat of a stutter which can be compared to hard braking on gravel. A visit to the local Advance Auto revealed a multitude of products to "fix" any and all transmission problems. I chose the SeaFoam product called Trans Tune. According to instructins simply add 1/2 to a full can (16oz) to the transmission making sure that you do not over fill. When I drove off my first thought was "OH S@#$%" the transmission is not shifting. I then realized that I could NOT feel the shifts, it was amazing.

I'll drive it for a week and report back.

Happy driving!

Red

#4 · (Edited)
My only thoughts are this...

Not feeling shifts means the torque it takes to slow the engine down when you shift is being absorbed slowly, which usually means the transmission is taking longer to engage each gear which implies extra clutch pack slippage, causing more heat, leading to more severe wear... bad.

Just my opinion.

#5 ·
Even though it involves more work I would recommend draining all of the oil and switching to Mercon V. That would have fixed your shudder and will prolong the life of your tranny especially if you add a tranny cooler. Other than that a J-mod would be great to do while the tranny is empty! Most people here would say that there is no such thing as a good oil additive. I think they do help but not as a permanent fix. It'll help condition the valves, seals, and other parts but you really should switch to Mercon V as soon as possible.

#9 ·
mushy / "smooth" shifts were PAR for 96 4r70w's- Unfortunately that trait was not conducive to longevity beyond 120k - You have ALMOST ZERO time to upgrade your 1-2 Accummulator & possibly prolong the inevitable rebuild.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.