TCCoA Forums banner

muffler exploded

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Tbird1997 
#1 ·
my black 90 sc backfired the other day from a faulty dis module and took out the muffler, it was so powerful that it tripped the emergency fuel pump shut off switch.

pics tell the tale

lesson learned... don't ever buy those cheap rinky dink thin aluminized mufflers

See less See more
#4 ·
My guess is stuck injector; you sure about the dis?

Muffler+fuel+~500 degrees=boom!

:)

#5 ·
Nice!

My 85 ranger backfired and deformed the muffler quite a bit, got a tiny leak at the seem, but damn yours must have been loud lol.

#6 ·
yep it was the dis, i kept priming her trying to get her fired up so fuel vapors were resting in the muffler since its the only restriction in the exhaust

theres a plethora of oxygen right outside the exhaust pipe, from cranking so much a spark made its way to the muffler and ignited the vapors

hell yeah it was loud, a fireball shot out and just echoed for at least 2 seconds

neighbors came running outside because they thought a bomb went off... that says something since here in uptown new orleans people don't even bother with gun shots.

#11 ·
theres a plethora of oxygen right outside the exhaust pipe, from cranking so much a spark made its way to the muffler and ignited the vapors
No, there was O2 mixed with the fuel INside the pipe; otherwise it wouldn't have exploded. Chemistry is a *****. :D

1 gal of gas ~10 sticks of dynamite, lol.

#8 ·
lmao same thing when you put Nitrous on your 95 motor. It blew the hell up! haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.