mystery trans fluid leak - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
mystery trans fluid leak

after swapping my transmissions i went through the usual repairing leaks as i go and I have one left that I cannot seem to locate. Its dripping around the trans pan. I cannot seem to locate the exact leak as whenever i jack the car up it stops (even with the car running) its very very slow, pretty much when i go for a drive and stop for a while there will be about a 6" wide spot underneath the car. the trans line connectors going into the trans are dry. for the most part it seems like the wet is around the trans pan bolts. they are just wet mostly towards the front. all of them are torqued tight. the pan is a deep sump aluminum from supercoupe performance that i had on my 94 trans and it was leak free. the new trans is a 2000 mustang. is it possible that the new seal is crap? thanks, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Did you put a bead of RTV around the o-ring on the dipstick tube?

If not then go do it.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
no i didn't, i just put a lil silicon to help lube it up then that was it. is there much i can do if the bolt that holds the dipstick to the head is broke off? i've got the tube tied in place so it can't move but it woudl be nice to have it perfect
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 08:54 PM
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by coggonobrien View Post
no i didn't, i just put a lil silicon to help lube it up then that was it. is there much i can do if the bolt that holds the dipstick to the head is broke off? i've got the tube tied in place so it can't move but it woudl be nice to have it perfect
Like Darrin said the leak is probably coming from the dip stick o-ring, Get a new o-ring, seal it good and get the mount bolt repaired. You cannot just tie tubes to the engine because vibration will moved them no matter how good you tie them.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

is it possible to extract the bolt without removing the head or engine?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 09:37 AM
PostWhore

Garage
I have the same leak, had it for a while and thought maybe it was leaking out of the pan gasket. Just put on a new pan and gasket saturday and it still leaks the same place. So time for a new O-ring. Do I need to drain any fluid off, or just jack up the passenger font? One bolt holding it in? I assume you can remove the bolt, pull the tube up, new O-ring with some RTV and back together.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:29 AM
PostWhore

sry guys i can't help you, i took out my auto and never looked back, m5 for me

uhh, the bolt is in the side of the tranys not the engine, no need to rip in to it

yeah dusty, jack the passenger side front up, bust that nut, jerk the tube, slip on the new rubber, lube it up, and reinsert ~presto complete!

supercoupin'

www.EFIDynoTuning.com
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM
4th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to Importskyline22 Send a message via Yahoo to Importskyline22
Quote:
Originally Posted by decipha View Post
bust that nut, jerk the tube, slip on the new rubber, lube it up, and reinsert ~presto complete!
Wow....i think you might have it a little out of order
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Seasoned PostWhore

the stud itself that holds the tube to the cylinder head broke off clean with the head so that's my problem
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 06:32 PM
6th Gear Poster

I had a simular problem. The cork gasket would not seal to the aluminum pan correctly. I then bought a Ford replacment gasket and that corrected the problem. I also found that the tranny holes were stripped a bit on two bolt holes. Could not tighten the bolts 100% at those two locations but the Ford replacement gasket still worked. Even so a 1/4" longer bolt will still fit and run up tight, which would have been the corect fix, but I did not do that and the pan gasket to this day does not leak. But tomorrow never knows.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-10-2007, 08:24 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Confirmed the leak is from the O-Ring. I just sprayed some PB Blaster on the nut. It is attached to the engine. I will give it a try tomorrow. I can see if if breaks off you would be SOL getting the broken stud out. Looks like it will be a b*tch to even get a ratchet up there and turn it. Cake if you had the engine and transmission out.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-12-2007, 09:24 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Put in the new O-ring last night. No more leak sitting overnight. I will drive it and park it to be sure. O-ring was flat and stiff. I did not do the RTV as the fluid was seeping out the hole when I pulled the tube. Tried to get it in with just trans fluid on it, but didn't want to go. Used a dab of silicone grease on the O-ring and it popped right in. Reaching the bolt is kind of a PIA, but I have had this small leak for 3 years. It had the leak when Alan pulled my transmission to put in the new converter. We thought it was maybe coming from the front seal, so he replaced that. I should have put a new O-ring on the tube while he was working on the transmission. Bottom line, anytime you pull the tube get a new o-ring. These things are cheap and if you search the internet, this is a source of hard to find tranny leaks on many Ford products.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to PJ-4.2L
How about an update? Still no leaks? I've had the same leak for years now-- replace the o-ring, the pan gasket, and still it leaks. Maybe I need a thicker o-ring...

PJ

btw: I doesn't necessarily look like the leak is coming from the tube--- the pas gasket is new, yet the leak seems to come from right below where the tube is...

PJ- 4.2L -
" 'DIY' was not meant for women."

Last edited by PJ-4.2L; 09-25-2007 at 04:28 PM. Reason: btw
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2007, 09:51 AM
PostWhore

Garage
Just drove the car 1800 miles last week. No leaks at all. I bought the $2 o-ring from Ford.

My leak looked like it was also coming from the pan. It comes out the bottom of the tube and drips over on the pan.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in