5R55S Mustang trans; What's needed to fit behind an PI Explorer 4.6? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

5R55S Mustang trans; What's needed to fit behind an PI Explorer 4.6?

Hey folks,

I just pulled the roached 4.6 and trans out of my 95 bird. I'm putting in an 03 Explorer motor. I was thinking of sending my 4R70W to either lentech or level 10 to get a good working over. But over the weekend I was in my friend's new mustang with the 5R55S 5 speed trans and it got me to thinking; How hard would it be to make the swap? Price wouldn't be much of an issue, as I'm prepared to drop the 2-2.5k to have either level 10 or lentech do their magic on a 4R70W. Anybody know anyone who's done this swap? What would it entail? Cheers in advance for any help.

Cheers,

D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:40 PM
6th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to 351cat
Its an all electronic trans, so you'll have to find something to control it. The 4R70W is completely different in the harness. Thats all i can think of, but i'm not much of an automatic guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Hedberg
"Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry For The Convenience."
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar_guy04 View Post
Red Green, is that you? Might consider looking into fabbing an intake setup that isn't so, well, ghetto.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

So you think it'll bolt right up without mods? Yeah, I was wondering about the control of it, but the big hurdle for me would potential difficulty in bolting it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to coggonobrien Send a message via MSN to coggonobrien Send a message via Yahoo to coggonobrien
trans tunnel could be a i problem but idk for sure
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:14 PM
6th Gear Poster

The explorers tranny is the same case as the 5R55S, so physically bolting to the motor shouldnt be a problem. Other problems will probably include the overall length of the trans (driveshaft shortening/lengthening) the mount location will probably be different where it meets the crossmember (or not) I dont think the tunnel will be a problem... these transmissions are used in Lincoln LS's and their trans tunnel is quite small. These are just my thoughts. I'll see if i can find any info for ya. Id like to see a 5spd auto in these cars, it'd be pretty sweet

Quote:
Quote:
Red Green, is that you? Might consider looking into fabbing an intake setup that isn't so, well, ghetto.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 07:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to 94 Daily Driven 4.6L
Some info on controlling it:

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.p...highlight=5r55

I know some here don't recommend the TCS (the general concensus is: ok for carb applications, not good for EFI applications), but I thought I'd just share what they said about a year ago.

97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Chip'd, 3.73 T/L... so far... )
97 Ford Aspire (Slow, but getting 36 mpg (f'n Ethenol!! )
84 F250 Dually w/6.9L Diesel (7.3L IDI pending)
73 Mercury Cougar Convertible w/351C 4V (Partially Restored)
69 F100 LWB w/460 Engine
76 Glastron Carlson 23' Jet Boat w/460 CJ Engine
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
You can't control that trans with your stock computer. You would need to have the auto trans functions programmed out of the stock computer with a tune, and then you would need an aftermarket trans controller that could control the 5R55. Also you will most likely need a different driveshaft. Make sure you get the yoke from the 5R55. If you go to Mr. Driveshaft in farmingdale, he made an aluminum shaft for me for my 393 swap for $300. It would be cheaper for a steel one, but if you are going to all the trouble of swapping in this trans, you might as well put a good driveshaft behind it. Bolting up to the motor wouldn't be a problem. Also, I'm not sure what the shifter pattern is on those, but you might have to get creative with a shifter. It could certainly be done though. If you want some help with the swap, let me know as I am pretty close.

Mike

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks for all the great info! I just found one out of an 06 stang with 16k on it for 1,300 at cherry auto. I have to do a few things to my cougar and then I'm gonna see if I can scoop one of those trans up.

D
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighit4.6 View Post
Thanks for all the great info!
Thats what we're here for. well, most of us. lol

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-25-2007, 09:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to The Great Obucina
5R55S is weaker than the 4R70W. Build your 4R70W to jerry's specs in the tech articles or have darrin build you one.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
5R55S is weaker than the 4R70W. Build your 4R70W to jerry's specs in the tech articles or have darrin build you one.
Stock perhaps, but once its sent out and souped up I can't imagine that would be an issue. I wouldn't think about going through the trouble of dropping one of these things in and not make it strong enough to hook up to a nuclear reactor. Here's some info on what Level 10 does to these; http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...ild/index.html

D
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 02:40 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

level 10 is ****-tacular. Build the 4R70W, that Jerry guy designed the it...hint hint.

"Booyah". Stu Scott.
1996 Braincoated, all Aluminum PI powered and obscenely loud Pearl White Tbird [email protected] AKA Dyrdek.
2013 Black on black FX2 Supercrew Ecoboost F150. Roll onto the scene with the ceiling missing.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 PM
PostSlut

those of you who are concerned about the trans tunnel being to small......remember when they said a C6 wouldn't fit?

Nick......................I'm back!!!
May you fly low and fast
rest in peace JL
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Obucina View Post
level 10 is ****-tacular. Build the 4R70W, that Jerry guy designed the it...hint hint.
Level 10 built an AOD for me about 13 or so years ago. Was bolted up behind a Crawford 347 Crate motor that produced about 390 hp at the rear wheels. I put the combo into an 83 Mercury Zephyr, and I beat that thing like it owed me money. Had it about 4 years and put 90K on it. The only thing that stopped it was a major ass hit from an idiot in a U-Haul who didn't stop at a light. And I know 4 people who have Lentechs, one of whom has it in a daily driver mustang running high 9's. Both are proven commodities for me; Why would I choose an unknown (to me at least; Darrin could be handing out absolution for all I know, the best builder of transmissions in the galaxy) trans guy over one I have a preexisting (and successful) relationship with?
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

thats fine, you can......but the specs listed on this website for proper building were written by the guy who engineered the 4R70W.....

"Booyah". Stu Scott.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in