Time for a new transmission... - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Time for a new transmission...

I've had that evil TC shudder for several thousand miles now and Dr. Tranny's snake oil has helped me delay the inevitable for quite some time, but this is the third time it's come back so it's time to do the deed. I can't stand the lack of confidence and performance any longer so it's time to fix the root cause.

Since I can't do any of the work myself, I'm going to take the car over to a local reputable shop and have them replace something.

I don't want to do a rebuild because it seems to be very (a) labor-intensive and (b) error-prone.

So I've considered getting only the TC replaced, or just getting a whole new transmission. I'm trying to balance cost and reliability.

I guess my questions are:

1) Can I just ask for a new TC or transmission? I don't think Ford just has new '97 4R70W's laying around, right? I definitely don't want something from a salvage yard because who knows what I'd be getting, and this is a major ($$$) repair so I'd like something solid. Would they have to get a later-model transmission and do some kind of conversion? And if so, what should I ask for?

2) Which would be best... replace the TC or the whole transmission? I suspect a TC replacement would be more labor... and I can't be guaranteed that something else in the transmission isn't ready to go (just replaced a broken accumulator and gasket). Which is why I'm leaning towards going all the way.

Just looking for some advice from people who have been there. I know where to get the best transmissions... they're just so far away.

Thanks,
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

crap... could a mod move to 4R70W sub-forum? sorry
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:38 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

heres your answer to number two.

replace both of them. you have to drop the trans to replace the trans (duh lol) and you also have to drop the trans to replace the tc. so its not going to cost more labor just to replace the tc.

talk to darrin, shippin doesnt cost that much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:09 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
If you aren't having any other problems with the trans, then I would say just replace the converter. The only thing is if you ever do start having problems with the trans, you need to get them taken care of quickly, otherwise they will wipe out your new converter. As for what to use as a replacement, a mustang GT converter would basically be a stock replacement, or you could go with a mark 8 or marauder converter, or something custom made (dirtydog).

As for installation, if you are willing to drive about an hour, I could install it for you for a lot less than a shop would charge.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 12:22 AM
5th Gear Poster

If you can afford both the tc and tranny go for it but the ? is can your engine keep up with the new installments. If yes, well take the proactive way and do both the tc and tranny, better safe than sorry plus your car will thank you.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Thanks guys for the info... it's much appreciated.

I think I'll splurge and replace both. I'll have to talk to Darrin and see how much shipping would be and what my options are.

Question though... why would I need to worry about my engine keeping up with a new trans?

J
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 07:08 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to MadMikeyL
You don't have to worry about it.

-91 Cougar LS, coming soon, complete overhaul with a 427" Windsor.
-90 XR7 5-speed black on black w/sunroof, MP2, coated rotors, double intercooler, 15%OD, ported heads, comp stage 1 cam, 85mm TB, 90MM LMAF, 80# injectors, and ported big valve heads
-98 Mark VIII LSC, Procharger P600b, TR3650 swap and 3.73s.
-90 SC Automatic rustbucket winter beater
-97 Tbird Sport 4.6 Nice weather daily driver
-"Your buddy Mike is INSANE!" -ClintD's dad

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in