TRANSMISSION rebuild problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

TRANSMISSION rebuild problem

hey guys, Im having some trouble with my transmission. I have a 95 lincoln towncar with 4r70w transmission, i know this is not a lincoln forum but no one there could help me and the referred me here because they said you have a lot of knowledge. Basically i had my transmission rebuilt recently, reinstalled and have everything hooked up it appears and 12 qts of fluid in there. Now the problem is if i want to start it, sometimes it starts in park other times i have to shuffle through the gears and may not start unless its in drive. Also if i have it in reverse the lights come on for reverse, but if i go to nuetral the lights stay on. And the big problem is i have no movement. No matter what gear i am in, the car doesn't move, the engine revs but no movement. Im not sure where to start and what im looking for. the linkage looks ok but the bolt and nut are lil loose where it connects within. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:31 PM

Sounds like the MLPS may need to be adjusted.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Not A Big Transmission Buff So What Is The Mlps??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:28 PM

Search and you shall find the answer. It's a sensor that tells the computer what gear you select.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Go to Autozone or your local parts house and ask for a neutral safety switch for your car. That should get it.

Also, you need to have it properly adjusted to have it work correctly and there are marks on it to help you there. You put the transmission in neutral and align the neutral marks on the switch and then tighten it down. When you are done, check it to make sure it didn't move and it should be good to go.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:47 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
I may be wrong but don't these transmissions hold about 15 Quarts? I would think that 12 quarts in a rebuilt trans might not be enough. You may be about 3 quarts low. Don't quote me on this one, but you may want to look into it.

Check your level and be careful not to overfill. You may need more fluid, especially if you've added an auxilary trans cooler.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 04:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
14 quarts with the 96+ deep pan, 12.5 quarts with the flat pan.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.. i didn't know that the nuetral safety switch had different name. THis is my first automatic so new to the stuff. But thanks again, i try and adjust it, the switch is new just must be misalligned.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 06:49 PM

If it is misaligned and it still is not working, it's possible the transmission shop didn't position the manual valve correctly. That would be scary since it was done by a shop, but it would cause the car not to move in any gear. Find out if the switch is aligned and working first.

--Chris

Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in