trac control. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

trac control.

I am trying to get rid of my traction control and anything related to it. I removed the sensors on the differential and traced the wires up to the drivers side dash. Is there a box or anything else that is just for the the trac control that i can remove? I couldnt trace the wire any further without alot more time and taking apart of the dash. Thanks in advance. the system didnt work and i am trying to lose any wires/weight i can off the car.

96 v8 4.6 explorer, kooks headers, off road x, magnaflow mufflers, cl tb/plenum, lmaf, gt tube, xcal tune, alum shaft, 3800 dirty dog converter, darrin trans, 373 gears, hoosier slicks on fanblades, pbr brakes, Skinnies on front, No PS or AC, Aeromotive EWP, major weight removal (3380 LBS), 12.78 OLD COMBO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 10:01 PM

Those wires plug into a connector located next to the bulkhead connector on the left side of the firewall. If you want to remove the control module, take off the splash shield of the driver's side fender and you'll see all the ABS stuff underneath where the battery is located. The control module, pump, pressure valves, and diode are all there, though you can't really remove any of the hydraulic stuff unless you go to the non-ABS master cylinder setup.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 10:06 AM
Veteran Poster

I just turned mine off in the tune...alot easier than crawling under the car, under the dash and ripping out wires and sensors...

call me lazy I guess...haha

1995 Lincoln Mark VIII "Grandmas Car"
400,480 miles *STOLEN 04-13-08*

98 Mark VIII LSC

STONE
STOCK
SLOW

NO
MODS
HERE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 12:52 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLRVIII View Post
I just turned mine off in the tune...alot easier than crawling under the car, under the dash and ripping out wires and sensors...

call me lazy I guess...haha
taking it out in the tune doesnt work on mn12's.

-Matt
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

Well im gutting everything possible on the car...cant seem to get the light off though...im tempted to take apart the dash and yank the bulb but not really what i want to do..

96 v8 4.6 explorer, kooks headers, off road x, magnaflow mufflers, cl tb/plenum, lmaf, gt tube, xcal tune, alum shaft, 3800 dirty dog converter, darrin trans, 373 gears, hoosier slicks on fanblades, pbr brakes, Skinnies on front, No PS or AC, Aeromotive EWP, major weight removal (3380 LBS), 12.78 OLD COMBO.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 03:02 PM
3rd Gear Chirper

Remove the antiskid (abs) module and the light will never work again. The light is illuminated when that module provides a ground to it so no module = no light. Also, if you are trying to save weight by removing wiring, just do what I did and remove the entire instrument panel...it's so much easier to remove and rewire stuff when it's on the ground in front of you. Plus if you want you can yank the heater-a/c box while the panel is out, and it will be *much* easier to cover the holes left in the firewall without anything in your way.

Also, if you want to keep your power locks but not the keyless entry and it's wiring, you can wire up two DPDT relays to control the locks from the switches, without the controller. I have a schematic of how I wired it if you want it. It's a rough drawing, nothing nice and neat, but it's understandable and works great.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 07:53 PM
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintme205 View Post
I am trying to get rid of my traction control and anything related to it. I removed the sensors on the differential and traced the wires up to the drivers side dash. Is there a box or anything else that is just for the the trac control that i can remove? I couldnt trace the wire any further without alot more time and taking apart of the dash. Thanks in advance. the system didnt work and i am trying to lose any wires/weight i can off the car.
Removing the sensor on the Differential will disable your ABS, is that something you are OK with? If not.... I had success removing the traction control without defeating ABS by replacing the ABS module with a "non-traction control module" from another car. I remember doing a post on this back around 2003 or maybe 2004, doing a search for my posts might get more specific details. I cant remember if I posted that here, or on SCCoA....

Jason Marsh
[email protected]
(364 rwhp 439 rwtq) on a Mustang Dyno
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I have upgraded brakes and tires so the abs doesnt work properly anyways from my experience. So im ok with no abs. I guess im old school in the sense i have never liked abs on modified cars. I guess i will try removing the abs module and see what happens. I havent messed with this in awhile since i have been working on the wifes car.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 10:30 PM
4th Gear Poster

yea I didn't really realize how old this post was until after I replied. What did you do to upgrade tires/brakes that would cause the ABS to not work? I've ran 18's and Cobra brakes without having any abs issues. The only issue I can think of with tires causing ABS issues is if your front and rear tires are different heights. Anyhoo, if you want to disable T/A & ABS all together, then removing the ABS module under the battery tray will do it. Not sure if that will throw any lights on the dash or not. I can be on the lookout for a non-T/A ABS module at pull-a-part next time I'm out there too, if you like...

PS. I just searched and found my post from 8/5/2005
Quote:
The 93-95 non-traction assist ABS modules all worked on my 94 Supercoupe without changing any Pins on the harness.
I am assuming there were no changes to the ABS between the 94-96/7 years but I'm not 100% sure. I know there are always 96/7 Birds/Cougs at pull-a-part without a T/A button, so grabbing another ABS Module shouldn't be much of an issue.

Jason Marsh
[email protected]
(364 rwhp 439 rwtq) on a Mustang Dyno
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Poster

I have a non traction controlled abs somewhere in my attic from a parts car... I should check that out. I didnt like abs on my 95 t bird with the cobra brakes and 17 inch wheels. Now that i think about it though it might have had different size tires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in