not wanting to catch the gear - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

not wanting to catch the gear

i have a 94 bird with 4.6 and AODE...(i think) might just be AOD? anywhoo it was a tad low on fluid so i put 2 quarts in it and previously before i had trouble with it it took a while to get into drive after i seleted it.... now after having a little eppisode with it before i added the fluid it isnt wanting to catch at all below 1000 rpm's..... anyone have a similar problem or know of a possible solution?
Thanks, Kyle

~Kyle~

Birdless! Looking for another though! Never should have gotten rid of the 94!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:00 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
How long was it run 2 quarts low on fluid? How often has the transmission fluid been changed?

The symptom you describe is typically worn clutches, but it's hard to say.

What does the fluid look like? Lots of black particles in the fluid, dark fluid, clean fluid...

The failure mechanism I've seen on my cars (at high mileage) is the driveshaft goes bad, kills the rear seal in the tailhousing, and then chronic low fluid kills the transmission, but YMMV.

The low fluid condition in my red car degenerated to where the last time I drove it, it was barely engaging in drive, but seemed ok once I was moving. The pan was full of metal shavings/pieces when I tore it down as a postmortem.

Odds are you will be replacing a transmission this year.

BTW, your 94 4.6 car is a 4R70W, not an aode.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok good stuff!! is there a way to just replace the clutches or is it cheaper to just go for a new tranny? and i have no clue how long it has been low... i just bought it a few months ago and just started noticing these symptoms within 3 days..... as to the change question i have no idea...do you think it is possible just to get a new rear seal? or is it too far gone?

~Kyle~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

ok....... so i just did some Yahooing and found this website: http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...ts_s/12285.htm will these work?

~Kyle~

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 PM

Garage
Do you have the special tools needed to put it back together?

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 PM
SuperNewbie

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to supergordo
Call DirtyDog. He can help you with a new tranny. If you've never done a tranny, now may not be the time to start. Like Grog6 said you need several special tools to get the job done.

1995 Cougar XR7 4.6
1997 Thunderbird LX 4.6
1977 Country Squire 460
1985 Capri RS 5.0, 5spd
1997 Thunderbird 4.6
1984 Capri RS 5.0,5spd
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well fellas tonight was the night! i have nothing at all except Reverse!!!! its time to rebuild and me and a buddy put money into a pos for the tools any words of wisdom?

~Kyle~

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2009, 01:26 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84cougarv8 View Post
any words of wisdom?
Yeah.

Read every post in the transmission forum;

Read every post by a user named "Darrin";

Read every post by user "Dirtyd0g";

Then come back and ask some useful questions.

These transmissions require tools that are fairly expensive just to reassemble them, and it's worth paying someone to rebuild them correctly; Search "+Snap +ring +failure" in the transmission forum for a definition of "correctly"... Yes, it needs to be welded in.

There are members here who can rebuild transmissions very well; they're unlikely to help you ruin $500+ worth of parts doing it wrong... That's why they haven't replied.

The easy fix is a junkyard swap; Search; I did a thread when I swapped mine.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 02:12 PM
Veteran Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84cougarv8 View Post
any words of wisdom?
Yes, dont wait until you have "an episode" to add transmission fluid to your car.

THAT thought process right there, says you will not be able to handle rebuilding this transmission.

I know, that stings..but you really should be honest with yourself.
you do not possess the knowledge or tools required to perform such a job.

Do yourself a favor.

Get a transmission from a good and known vendor here on this site.
Install it in your car.

THEN after your car is up and running.

THEN you can explore the trials and tribulations and success and failures of rebuilding your first automatic transmission.

trust me, your "first rebuild" is going to fail.

1995 Lincoln Mark VIII "Grandmas Car"
400,480 miles *STOLEN 04-13-08*

98 Mark VIII LSC

STONE
STOCK
SLOW

NO
MODS
HERE
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2009, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

i took ya'll advice and just grabbed a Salvage one... the 95 it came off of had some massive drivers side damage but lookes good and only 55000 miles on er! got it for a shade under $400 and am thinking about having a local shop put a B and M **** improver on it after a bit...? but thank you all for your words of wisdom!

~Kyle~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in