question on bolt size. - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

question on bolt size.

ive been getting around to un bolting my driveshaft from the rear end of the car and ran into a problem, i cant find a socket that will fit these bolts. so far ive realised that a 12mm socket it too small and a 13mm socket is too big. the hexagonal sockets deffiently dont work but i went and got the ones that have a bunch of small teeth thinking these would work but they dont. im out of ideas.

Is there a way i can dissconnet it from the joint where the 4 clips are? ive seen my haynes manual taking it apart but not while its still attached to the vehicle, and he used some kind of press which i deffiently dont have. so whats my best route to take here? im picking up my tranny friday or saturday and would like this thing out and ready for replacement...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:14 PM
6th Gear Poster

Use a 12mm 12-point wrench. You'll probably have to put another wrench on the end of the 12mm one to break it loose.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 05:56 PM
6th Gear Poster

I just told him how to do it with out destroying/needlessly hacking something apart. You can butcher it or you can take a 12mm wrench and place the box end over the bolt. Next take a 13mm wrench and hook the box end across the open end side of the 12. If you hadn't already put the trans in park, pop the linkage off and slide it all the way into park. After this, put on your big boy pants and break the bolts loose. After they're loose I usually use a ratchet wrench to spin them out. You could pop the u-joint out, but it doesn't sound like you have messed with u-joints before. Do yourself a favor and don't succumb to hack-job work, good luck!

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I suggest still using a 12mm 12pt box-end but if you anit got the arms which I don't, PB Blaster let sit. If that don't work use your leg/foot and or a hammer on the wrench.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

ive got this 2 foot hollow rod just for stuck bolts. fits over any wrench or socket wrench and turns it in to a 2 foot wrench for maximum leverage. tomorrow im goona pick up a 12 mm 12 point wrench. one of these bolts are on the verge of stripping so im hoping and praying it will grab. if not im going to have to learn how to dismantle the u joints.

hey 94xr7 tell me about your 5 speed swap. i just tried going to t45swap.com but none of the links on the page work.

was there lots of customization besides making a hole for the clutch?
im about to start searching for mustang 5 speed swaps. im pretty sure a t45 is outta my price range but a guy can dream right?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-30-2009, 07:02 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I took mine off with a ratcheting 12 point box wrench, no problems, I used this because the wheels were still on the ground so the ratchet allowed me to get all the bolts, Im in the south though so no rust

5speed converted, removed air silencer, KN panel filter, no kitty's.
True duals, rear discs, t-lok, and hand brake waiting to go in

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in