downshifting hesitation - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

downshifting hesitation

Ok, I have a question. My trans in my 95 t bird shifts fine, doesn't slip and runs well. The only exception is when I floor it, it won't downshift right away, it's like it has to think about it for a few seconds and then downshifts. This drives me nuts! Even the 92 i used to have with a tv cable was more responsive than my 95. Any ideas? I'm not getting any codes either.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2009, 01:49 AM

Check the TPS. Should read a steady voltage at idle (less than 1.0V) and smoothly increase as you open the throttle to above 4.0V at WOT.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by master486 View Post
Check the TPS. Should read a steady voltage at idle (less than 1.0V) and smoothly increase as you open the throttle to above 4.0V at WOT.
Ok, I finally got to check my TPS voltage. At idle it reads .64 and at WOT it reads 3.73. It does smoothly increase as I open the throttle but the voltage doesn't go up to 4.0. I loosened the screws and tried to turn it and it didn't help much. So does this mean my sensor is bad?

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:11 AM

I do believe the sensor has a problem then. I'm not sure of the exact cutoff for when the computer determines WOT based on TPS voltage, but I don't think that what you measured is high enough and that would sure explain the behavior you are describing. Someone else feel free to chime in and correct me if I'm wrong.

--Chris

DirtyDog Torque Converter For Sale!!
Huge Parts Sale!!

1996 Thunderbird LX
Awaiting some tender deconstruction...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

I also read the post on how to "adjust" the tps by turning it and elongating the mounting holes if needed. I was able to turn it a little and increase the voltage like .03 volts which isn't much. I wouldn't think I'd be able to turn it enough to get the voltage high enough. And on top of that, the lower screw head stripped out so I can't get the screw out so I'll have to take my throttle body off and cut the head off and then get the rest out and put bolts in instead of screws.

Mike
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
yeah I'd try a new one then. They aren't teribly expensive I don't think.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Ok, here's an update, I got a motorcraft TPS and put it on today. Tested the voltage and its .73 at idle and 3.96 at WOT which is in spec from the posts i've read. It didn't help it at all. If anything, now when I turn my a/c on, it idles lower. I read in another thread where someone was having almost the same problem and replaced plugs, wires and coil packs and it fixed it so i guess that's my next step.

Mike
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to FunktasticLucky
.73 seems really low. I think mine is at .95 and reads to almost 4.5 volts at WOT... And the TPS has more to do with idle than you think... You could unscrew it and spin it while the car is running and just hear the change in it. And what kinda hesitation are we talking about? You mash it does hte car start to pull then it finally kicks down? If you're cruising I wouldn't recommended just flooring it from OD... it has a tendency to do a 4-2 downshift sometimes and that's BAD. ALWAYS turn off the OD before you go having fun.

Also I'm not positive as it's been YEARS since I've had a stock tune but if I remember correclty that has always been a slight hesitation from when you floor it to the kickdown. The computer waits just a bit to see if you're just Blippin the Throttle. Then it goes ahead and commands the downshift.

2018 Lincoln MKZ Black Label 3.0T AWD
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2009, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunktasticLucky View Post
.73 seems really low. I think mine is at .95 and reads to almost 4.5 volts at WOT... And the TPS has more to do with idle than you think... You could unscrew it and spin it while the car is running and just hear the change in it. And what kinda hesitation are we talking about? You mash it does hte car start to pull then it finally kicks down? If you're cruising I wouldn't recommended just flooring it from OD... it has a tendency to do a 4-2 downshift sometimes and that's BAD. ALWAYS turn off the OD before you go having fun.

Also I'm not positive as it's been YEARS since I've had a stock tune but if I remember correclty that has always been a slight hesitation from when you floor it to the kickdown. The computer waits just a bit to see if you're just Blippin the Throttle. Then it goes ahead and commands the downshift.
The new TPS voltage is definitely higher than the old one but the old one seemed to make it idle better, especially with the a/c on. As for it kicking down, when I floor it going about 30 mph, the car does accelerate but will wait like 2-3 seconds before downshifting. When I'm in 3rd gear and floor it, it will wait 2-3 seconds then downshift to 2nd then wait a second and downshift to first. My old 92 downshifted a lot faster than my 95 and my friends 96 is almost instantaneous.

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in