Mark VIII rear end on a Thunderbird? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Mark VIII rear end on a Thunderbird?

There has been some threads about this subject, but stuff isn't adding up. While poking around SCP, it shows drive shafts that cross reference a Thunderbird AND a Mark VIII. It also looks like haf-shafts are the same as well, based on part numbers. The rear differential pinion brace is also listed for both applications.

I am looking to put 3.73s in my Thunderbird. I was wondering if I can get a whole axle and swap it out. I was also looking for confirmation that there are indeed 3.73s in there.

On another thread, someone said..

Quote:
-- It's not a drop in unit for a IRS rear end, there is no grove in the end gears to lock in the CV axles.
and..

Quote:
he Gears for the axles need a groove machined in for the spring clip on our (IRS) axles; the Straight axles use a circlip and a flat washer...no groove...

Our axles aren't able to come out, due to the suspension design, so there is no need for a solid lock at the end of the axle.

Get whoever is doing the mark parts swap to machine it for you.
Has anyone taken a good look to see if this is do-able? There are also weight savings swapping the axles and of course, I want to take advantage of that.

What do you guys think?

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

http://www.fordthunderbird.net - For Pics and more!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 01:59 PM
Faster than Porkchop

Yes, they should work for both Tbirds and Mark's . I used a pumpkin from a 99 Cobra they too have a IRS .

1997 Ford Thunderbird 4.6 Sport .

60'...... 2.06
1/8th .. 9.194
mph .... 77.13

mods*
PI heads *PI intake*Mark VIII torque converter*Cobra T-loc w\4.10's * Jmod*tranny fluid cooler*P&P stock T/B & plenum*UD pulleys* Dynotech 4in ds*80mm Lightning maf*Xcal2*02 GT intake tube.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 02:47 PM
6th Gear Poster

I'm not entirely sure about what you're asking, but... Between Mark VIIIs and Thunderbirds/Cougars the entire housing (center section) with gears, diff., etc. inside will interchange with no modifications necessary.

Step 1: Remove center section from Mark VIII
Step 2: Remove center section from Bird/Coug
Step 3: Do nothing to your fancy aluminum Mark differential/gear/housing assembly (assuming you're keeping the lame stock gears), do nothing to your Bird/Coug
Step 4: Bolt Mark center section into Bird/Coug

The side gear questions you have are in reference to the difference between the side gears in a solid axle differential and an irs differential. This will only come into play if you acquire a solid axle differential out of a mustang, etc. A good route to go is to acquire a used Mark differential housing (they're all aluminum), get a trac-lok differential (preferably an irs one, but I run a solid axle one with no issues), get some gears, and assemble and install them in your car. I'm not sure how much weight I shaved off, nothing to get excited about though.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I am just trying to see if we can take a Mark VIII axle and put it into the Bird. My whole goal is to put 3.73s in. We are thinking it would be a short cut if the Mark came with them, plus the extra bonus of having the weight savings.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8
SCT Tuned by Amercian Motorsport, Mustang PBR, FRPP 3.73 gears, Modified Trak-Lok, Steeda UDP, K&N Panel, 1990 SC Seats, 2.5" Single Exhaust/Magnaflow Hi-Flow Cats, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S +, Windstar wheels, RichardM Intake, Kenwood KDC-HD552U HD Radio, 2800 stall DirtyDog Marauder TC, J-MOD, 2002 Grand Marquis transmission, DynoTech Driveshaft, AeroForce Interceptor Scan Gauge, Griffin Super High Capacity Radiator, 180* Thermostat, Cobra steering wheel, 6000K HID, Clear Corners Getting a makeover Spring 2015

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM
6th Gear Poster

Our cars do not have a 'proper' axle. In the middle there is a differential housing, sticking out from that on each side is an axle shaft. These axle shafts pass through wheel bearings on each side pressed into the spindle. The 'axle tube' on our cars is a cylinder of air surrounding the axle shafts.

Marks did not come with 3.73 gears. Their diff housing is Al opposed to our Fe housing. This is where the weight savings comes in. I don't know the precise difference in weight, I did not put mine on a scale. This info is on this site however.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 06:37 PM
3rd Gear Poster

I think the M8 diff housing weighs about 2/3 of the T'bird/Cougar one. You could rebuild the M8 with 3.73 and trac-loc out of the vehicle and when you got ready, you could just pop it in. You can use the solid axle side gears, BUT, you will have HELL getting the 1/2 shaft stubs out unless you remove the diff cover and remove the c clip from the stub. I think 95badbird just left the clips off and just stuck them in and let it ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _95badbird View Post
thats how I run mine.....mustang diff, no clips.

Last edited by rayner601; 07-09-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: can't get anyting straight today
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thanks for the posts. I think I am just going to get the 3.73s installed and call it a day. I found a place to do it for me.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 11:49 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
I modify those side gears often.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 02:17 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to Traveler
I'm doing this week exactly what you said you wanted to do. I bought a worn out Supercoupe center section with a 3.27 trac-loc in it. Then I bought a set of 3.73 gears, and then found a Mark VIII aluminum Case. Took those to a builder along with the kits for rebuilding the trac-loc and the rear end. When its done I'll just swap it into the car.. (hopefully this weekend)

1997 Thunderbird Sport
Low Miles
Wifes Car
destined to remain stock

1997 T-Bird GT 4.6
80 MM Mustang GT MAF - P&P'd Mustang GT TB and Intake Plenum - PI Intake manifold - PI Heads
Mark VIII Torque Converter - J-Modded 4R70W transmission - Mark VIII Aluminum Driveshaft - 3.73 gears
PBR Brake Calipers - Eibach Springs - KYB Shocks
'89 SuperCoupe front and rear sway bars
SCT Chip programmed by Lonnie Doll
255/50/16 Falken Ziex ZE-512's
True Dual exhaust with Magnaflow DI/DO muffler
<<< SOLD >>>
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Good luck with that! Let us know how it goes. I came pretty close to buying your 3.55s but after doing some research and asking around, it looked like 3.73s was the right way for me to go.

-=James
1995 Ford Thunderbird V8

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in