SeaFoam Trans Tune - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

Thumbs up SeaFoam Trans Tune

When I bought my '96 LX (4.6 with 52k miles) in November of '03 I commented to my wife about how smooth the transmission shifts were. Fast forward to today, I just turned 124k and the shifts are somewhat harsh. Sometimes there is somewhat of a stutter which can be compared to hard braking on gravel. A visit to the local Advance Auto revealed a multitude of products to "fix" any and all transmission problems. I chose the SeaFoam product called Trans Tune. According to instructins simply add 1/2 to a full can (16oz) to the transmission making sure that you do not over fill. When I drove off my first thought was "OH [email protected]#$%" the transmission is not shifting. I then realized that I could NOT feel the shifts, it was amazing.

I'll drive it for a week and report back.

Happy driving!

Red
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to kermit
tagged to watch.

Jamie
'96 Thunderbird LX 4.6L
'07 Eddie Bauer Explorer 4.6L 3v
'06 Mustang GT 4.6L 3v 5 spd

"10 in the tank, 4 on the floor"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:18 PM
6th Gear Poster

Ditto @ Kermit

-J.D.

1995 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 OHC
Titled "Project Thunder-Phoenix" From the ashes, we shall rise!

Check out my site here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2009, 10:21 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
My only thoughts are this...

Not feeling shifts means the torque it takes to slow the engine down when you shift is being absorbed slowly, which usually means the transmission is taking longer to engage each gear which implies extra clutch pack slippage, causing more heat, leading to more severe wear... bad.

Just my opinion.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 09-13-2009 at 10:26 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 12:25 AM
PostWhore

Even though it involves more work I would recommend draining all of the oil and switching to Mercon V. That would have fixed your shudder and will prolong the life of your tranny especially if you add a tranny cooler. Other than that a J-mod would be great to do while the tranny is empty! Most people here would say that there is no such thing as a good oil additive. I think they do help but not as a permanent fix. It'll help condition the valves, seals, and other parts but you really should switch to Mercon V as soon as possible.

-Randy-
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 03:01 AM
6th Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
Even though it involves more work I would recommend draining all of the oil and switching to Mercon V. That would have fixed your shudder and will prolong the life of your tranny especially if you add a tranny cooler. Other than that a J-mod would be great to do while the tranny is empty! Most people here would say that there is no such thing as a good oil additive. I think they do help but not as a permanent fix. It'll help condition the valves, seals, and other parts but you really should switch to Mercon V as soon as possible.
+1. Good post.

-J.D.

1995 Thunderbird 4.6L V8 OHC
Titled "Project Thunder-Phoenix" From the ashes, we shall rise!

Check out my site here
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

I agree on the fluid switch. This was only meant to be a temporary check. The car, however, has a factory tranny oil cooler.

Red
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 12:48 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8ThunderCat View Post
And this is what I will be doing with my trans VERY soon. I am of the opinion that putting additives in fluids is a bandaid fix.

John
1996 TBird LX 4.6
2001 Sable Wagon 3.0 Duratec
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 11:19 PM
6th Gear Poster

mushy / "smooth" shifts were PAR for 96 4r70w's- Unfortunately that trait was not conducive to longevity beyond 120k - You have ALMOST ZERO time to upgrade your 1-2 Accummulator & possibly prolong the inevitable rebuild.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in