3/8 Cooler install - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
3/8 Cooler install

Finally working on the wifes car again. In hopes of making it to the shootout but there is allot to be done before it is ready. I am doubtful. This car was just so rusty and nasty I really should have just bought a better car.
For reference to more of the car see this thread
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=86202

On to the project at hand.
The cooler lines. I really went overboard with this, but with the 9 inch converter I knew it would run hot, a good cooler setup is a must. The radiator is from radiator classic. It fit decent as far as aftermarket radiators go, I did have to cut a notch out of the fan shroud and the fan isn't fitting exactly right still. I'll get it adjusted in a few more minutes of effort.
The upper line from the radiator I just used a conventional fitting that was 3/8 inverted flare to 3/8 pipe.

On the driver side I used a 90° fitting for a very clean install here.

The cooler mounted very clean, I would have liked to had it just a bit higher because it would have made the bends easier but I just cut and reflared the lines to get it right. I wanted the lines at or above the lowest point of the car.

The passenger side went pretty smooth as well. I also used a single bubble flare for this end to hold the transmission grade hose. I chose to split the system with transmission grade hose because I am not running solid mounts. My concern was the repeated twisting would fatigue the lines and cause a rupture.
Here is the junction point.

Last but not least the lines at the transmission.

Definately not the lazy way to do transmission lines. It takes some effort to get this right and if you haven't done it many times you better have some spare material. I pulled this off without damaging any lines, but on a job like this that is a bit much to ask for. Guaranteed if I had someone watching over my shoulder I would have kinked one.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:58 PM
Jedi Master

very well done!

-Orlando

friends don't let friends drive Chevy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 11:15 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Man, that looks great!

I've thought about upgrading the lines; about the time I noticed there are reducers on both ends, lol.

I can't believe how much rust difference there is in a few hundred miles... I hope to keep mine forever. (cross fingers)

A question tho; why the right angle out of the upper fitting? Hobson's choice, or ??

(Hobson's Choice means it's easy and available, lol.)

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote

Last edited by Grog6; 09-27-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

The upper fitting is a 90 to make extra clearance to the exhaust. That one sticks out the farthest. I have not yet found a way to make a bend tighter than about 3 inches without kinking the line. The factory had the bend directly after the fitting. I cannot even start the bend there. I have to bend the line first, calculate distance for my flaring tool and cut it off the perfect amount. If you look at the lines on the cooler they are as tight as I can get the bend to the fitting.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Garage
Cool! That's why I asked; it looked like a lot of work not to have a reason.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:45 PM
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to 94 Thunderbird XX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyd0g View Post
I chose to split the system with transmission grade hose because I am not running solid mounts. My concern was the repeated twisting would fatigue the lines and cause a rupture.
Good call; this is another one of those little things that most people don't think about until after something breaks.

Can't stress the quality flarings enough either.

Delete my account.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:11 AM
The Band, not the Disease!

Send a message via AIM to AnthraxBird
Also, be careful with that hoseclamp tieing the 2 lines together, the lines will rub a bit and it could wear through in a period of time! You can come to my mothers house, the lines on her 02 ZX2 have completely rusted through. Needless to say the car just sits for now untill I get the nerve to do it! Nice install though!!

1997 Mark VIII LSC - Toreador Red
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

That was just for setup the hose clamp will be removed.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via MSN to twin turbo 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthraxBird View Post
Also, be careful with that hoseclamp tieing the 2 lines together, the lines will rub a bit and it could wear through in a period of time! You can come to my mothers house, the lines on her 02 ZX2 have completely rusted through. Needless to say the car just sits for now untill I get the nerve to do it! Nice install though!!
Hes a trans guy I think he would know these kinda things lol

2x95 cougars to the scapper
97 F250 psd 4x4 dd twin charged
48 Gmc Detroit diesel 453t twin sticked
45 Chevy 451 detroit twin sticked
51 Mack A51T restoration
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-02-2009, 02:08 AM

I dunno, i'm a mechanic and i've done some pretty stupid things =P

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 09:33 PM

Garage
I lost a ratchet one day, and had a customer come in with a noise complaint a week later, with my ratchet still on the head of a bolt.

At least I got my ratchet back, lol.

(Not an engine mech; I worked on stereo equipment...)

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 01:02 PM

When i first started out as a lube tech, I drained the oil and put a new filter on and forgot to fill it up with oil.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 11:24 PM

Garage
DirtyD0g, how much line did you use? I was looking at line on summit, and while I'm sure a 20 foot roll will work, that seems excessive...

I'm going to hard line in a cooler at the same time; it shouldn't take more that three feet for it.

Also, any reason Not to use stainless?

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Converter Guy

I don't know exactly how much line I used, I buy it in the 50 ft rolls locally at most decent parts stores. I use a local place called Smyth automotive. A 50 foot roll comes with fittings and is about $45. If you want to run standard steel I suggest just going and getting about 4 6 foot sticks of the coated stuff from autozone or whatever is local to you. Unless you do lines often you won't need a 50 foot roll.
Stainless has only one drawback, cost. It is expensive. Be careful buying stainless as well. There are many different wall thickness variations. You have to get line that can be flared. DO not try to flare stainless without the flaring tool I mentioned either. If you don't have that flaring tool the stick from autozone come preflared, so you can cut the lines to length and use the already flared ends, meaning you only have to make a simple bubble flare, which you really can't screw up.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in