thunderbird rear end swap... an unusual item here.. - TCCoA Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North East AR 72455
Posts: 168
Question thunderbird rear end swap... an unusual item here..

has anyone made the changeover from an irs to a solid axle, as in the ford 9 inch, on an mn12 body without having to use a plasma cutter and torch on the entire floorpan?

It sounds unusual to want to go from an IRS to a solid axle setup I know, but it has been done on cars like the cobras and I am curious as to what all would be involved.

I ask because eventually this car will be making passes at the local 1/8th mile track and I want it bulletproof and rock solid dependable for the trips over and back. (48 miles each way).

I plan to goto 3.73 gears in the rear end I have now plus already have those gears installed into whichever rear end I have installed, whether it be a solid axle 8.8 or the ford 9" unit.

remember now, a bit of a newbie on these cars but I am not completely stupid about cars all together.

one other thing, this car suffers from peg leg syndrome... can I put the standard 8.8 from a car like a mustang into it without doing a bunch of pain in the butt work to get it right? what all do I need? I know where a guy has an 8.8 center section that he got from me, providing he hasnt sold it or used it yet.

let me know some solid answers so I can start figuring this stuff out..

thanks a bunch
Big Ed H is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 07:51 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Moderator
 
Grog6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Harriman, TN
Age: 56
Posts: 10,039
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed H View Post

let me know some solid answers so I can start figuring this stuff out..

thanks a bunch



Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.


"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
Grog6 is offline  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator
 
XR7-4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Roselle IL
Posts: 16,595
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed H View Post
has anyone made the changeover from an irs to a solid axle, as in the ford 9 inch, on an mn12 body without having to use a plasma cutter and torch on the entire floorpan?
No, its a giant fabrication project and the only cars that do have it are completely back halfed.

Quote:
It sounds unusual to want to go from an IRS to a solid axle setup I know, but it has been done on cars like the cobras and I am curious as to what all would be involved.
Cobras are mustangs, the platform is designed for a solid axle, Its a direct bolt in. These arent even close to mustangs, they were only ever intended to use an IRS

Quote:
I ask because eventually this car will be making passes at the local 1/8th mile track and I want it bulletproof and rock solid dependable for the trips over and back. (48 miles each way).
Theres big power mn12's doing just fine on IRS, what kind of power do you have and what drivetrain setup are you using?

Quote:
I plan to goto 3.73 gears in the rear end I have now plus already have those gears installed into whichever rear end I have installed, whether it be a solid axle 8.8 or the ford 9" unit.
Quote:
remember now, a bit of a newbie on these cars but I am not completely stupid about cars all together.

one other thing, this car suffers from peg leg syndrome... can I put the standard 8.8 from a car like a mustang into it without doing a bunch of pain in the butt work to get it right? what all do I need? I know where a guy has an 8.8 center section that he got from me, providing he hasnt sold it or used it yet.
If you remove the circlips from the halfshafts you can use the mustang trac-lok carrier, however I recommend using an IRS part.

Quote:
let me know some solid answers so I can start figuring this stuff out..

thanks a bunch

-Matt
XR7-4.6 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome