96 explorer trans problem - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

96 explorer trans problem

Sorry didnt know where to put this so here it is.

I have a '96 explorer eddie bauer 4.0 with 190,000 miles and a couple days ago it started having trouble shifting out of 1st gear, it wont shift until I let off the gas, a second later it shifts and runs through the rest of the gears just fine. Also, once it doesnt shift outa first the O/D Off light starts flashing even though the O/D is still on, i turn the explorer off and it goes away until i get it to shift out of first. Also, I tried shifting it manually after a stop sign from first then into second and it still didnt go.

any i deas, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRickert View Post
Sorry didnt know where to put this so here it is.

I have a '96 explorer eddie bauer 4.0 with 190,000 miles and a couple days ago it started having trouble shifting out of 1st gear, it wont shift until I let off the gas, a second later it shifts and runs through the rest of the gears just fine. Also, once it doesnt shift outa first the O/D Off light starts flashing even though the O/D is still on, i turn the explorer off and it goes away until i get it to shift out of first. Also, I tried shifting it manually after a stop sign from first then into second and it still didnt go.

any i deas, thanks
Classic broken intermediate band symptom. Drop the pan and most likely you will find a piece of the band in there. Only hope is a rebuild.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 07:06 PM
PostWhore

There is a slight chance that you can readjust it, but I would drop the pan first to see if any parts are there.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:03 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

well thx for the tip, any price tag on that? i have no idea. Is there any way it could be a vaccum line or even something with a computer becuz the O/D Off light flashes, I thought that was very odd
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 08:40 AM
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRickert View Post
well thx for the tip, any price tag on that? i have no idea. Is there any way it could be a vaccum line or even something with a computer becuz the O/D Off light flashes, I thought that was very odd
The mileage you have on that trans (if its original) is very respectable for any car, and even more so for an explorer. For the V6 engines, The 95-96 4spd units are much more reliable than the 97+ 5spd units, so if you get another ex keep that in mind. The extra gears create extra wear and tear on the trans and they have other little issues too.

Probably 2 grand, because the trans has to be dropped to replace the band in the case. The 4R55E has no vacuum controls whatsoever, its is completely electronic. The older A4LD did, but that wouldn't affect that anyway.

The O/D flashing means you have a code stored in the transmission computer, you can get it scanned. It is likely some 1-2 gear ratio error type code. It wouldn't hurt to get the thing scanned. The intermediate band controls the 1-2 shift. The other possibility could be a bad servo that controls the band, but the total loss you describe is probably the band.

Here are some options:
You can try a band adjustment, but if you do it wrong (too tight, without an in/lb torque wrench) it will snap the band. If you notice that the screw keeps going in with no resistance, the band is broken. It is a pain in the butt to do with the trans on the truck but doable.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=158160

Here is what you may find in the pan:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...3&postcount=11

And here is another, with a pic of exactly what broke:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=240106

First get the code scanned, then confirm if the band is broke. Usually there is evidence in the pan. If the band is ok, then the servo or valve body is probably trashed.

95 4.6L Rusty Survivor!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear Poster

hay, thanks for the great advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in