Big questions about transmissions need big help please - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Xan
2nd Gear Poster

Big questions about transmissions need big help please

So, my 96 tbird is getting old (215000) the suspension is going bad the engine is decent and the Trans needs a rebuild. So I got my 83 and its C5 is kind of crappy and I’d really like to have a floor shifter.... SO! I plan to get a new car soon here and trade in the 96 third but all I can get is about $500-$600 for it so my thought is why waste a third when I could use it to make my other car better

First will the 4R70w from my 96 3.8 bolt to the 83 3.8?
Second: what would have to do for the transmission computer?
Third what other parts should I nab from the 96 for the 83?

BTW my 83 tbird has a rebuilt engine and moded engine, cowl induction hood, rebuilt and lowered suspension and custom seats and so on.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

1) Look at the bellhousing and check it out yourself, but it's gonna be a moot point - read on.....
2) There are aftermarket companies that make stand-alone computers to shift your 4R70W, look at spending some serious dough if you go that route, moot point - read on.....
3) Change everything, 4.6 + tranny + computer + wiring harness so at least it will run and shift

Big job, good luck with it!

There are more experienced here with swaps like this, they'll steer you...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Xan
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetKeym View Post
1) Look at the bellhousing and check it out yourself, but it's gonna be a moot point - read on.....
2) There are aftermarket companies that make stand-alone computers to shift your 4R70W, look at spending some serious dough if you go that route, moot point - read on.....
3) Change everything, 4.6 + tranny + computer + wiring harness so at least it will run and shift

Big job, good luck with it!

There are more experienced here with swaps like this, they'll steer you...
I'm ok with the standalone computer price as long as it’s a better more efficient, more reliable transmission. The bell housing is the same I checked.

I can't say the idea of doing a 4.6 swap hasn't came to mind before. But if I’m going to swap something in I believe it’s going to be a big block and a C6, or I’m going turbo diesel. I'd rather just stay with my built up V6 its plenty powerful the way its built, plus it took me forever to find all the go fast goodies for it, not to mention having to redo my already new suspension up front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2010, 06:01 PM
6th Gear Poster

Check again, the bellhousings are not the same.

lowered, koni sport adjustables, 4.30 tl in aluminum housing, mark 8 trans, j-mod, 93 mark viii ds, antenna hole=gone, kooks headers 1.75" primaries, 2.5" catless duals, midmount magnaflow, 96-97 sport wheels with 255/50/16 sumitomo HTR Zs, optima in the trunk, new motor...94 mark 6/6/08

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in