2001-2003 Mustang 4R70W Trans & Torque Converter For $300 - Reasonable Price? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
2001-2003 Mustang 4R70W Trans & Torque Converter For $300 - Reasonable Price?

I have a '97 T-Bird sport with a 4.6 liter V-8 that has 162,000 miles on it and I am currently experiencing what I believe is moderate-to-severe case of torque converter shudder, and I want desperately to cure that problem! I have a chance to purchase a 4R70W trans & torque converter from a 2001-2003 Mustang for $300. The person selling it is a tech at a L/M dealer and he says he replaced a customer's trans under some type of warranty and that this unit was the core. He claims the trans/torque converter has about 30,000 miles on it and that the trans has had the overdrive band replaced.

Is this a reasonable price for this trans/torque converter?

My goal is to have this trans modified to fit my T-Bird, slightly strengthened and installed in my car by Alan at DirtyDog performance (as I live in an apt and have no place to do this work myself). I am also probably going to buy a new Mark VIII converter & flex plate from DirtyDog and have that installed at the same time. I am trying to eliminate the torque converter shudder and I am also not too confident in the trans that is currently in my car, especially considering my car has 162,000 miles on the odometer and I have no idea if anything was ever done to it!

My car is a daily driver and I don't drive it like a race car, however I do, from time to time, get on it a little hard.

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 10:21 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
That's a good price, alot of the upgrades will already be in a 01+ trans

-Matt
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM
3rd Gear Poster

Before you do this check your plugs/wires.

1995 Cougar Xr7 4.6

The never ending debate:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132847
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

My plugs were replaced about 6 months ago with Autolites, as were my plug wires (with Motorcraft wires) - it made no difference at all in the shudder. I also replaced my EGR valve (also Motorcraft). The shudder has just continued to get slightly worse since then.

I am convinced it's the torque converter, especially since the shudder ceases the instant I touch the brake pedal just enough to turn on the brake lights.

Dennis
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:20 PM
3rd Gear Poster

Test your wires first it may be them.

Also another test, and neither me or tccoa are responsible if anything goes wrong, but:

Put your car in drive keep foot all the way on the brake, and hit the gas until the rpm range of the shudder, if it shudders during this it is most likely a ignition/electrical problem. It could be an ignition coil.

1995 Cougar Xr7 4.6

The never ending debate:
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=132847
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CougarChaserXR7 View Post
Test your wires first it may be them.

Also another test, and neither me or tccoa are responsible if anything goes wrong, but:

Put your car in drive keep foot all the way on the brake, and hit the gas until the rpm range of the shudder, if it shudders during this it is most likely a ignition/electrical problem. It could be an ignition coil.
As I mentioned earlier, my plugs (Autolites) & my wires (Motorcraft) are less than 6 months old. My coil packs (BOTH of them) were also replaced at that time (with Motorcraft).

Dennis
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Voice/Data Guru

Get the transmission like Matt said that's a good price .

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Agreed, I'd grab that even without issues. Low mile 99+ 4R's are ideal for upgrades or just replacement

-Matt
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderChecken View Post
Get the transmission like Matt said that's a good price .
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Agreed, I'd grab that even without issues. Low mile 99+ 4R's are ideal for upgrades or just replacement
I will be buying it on Friday, as both myself and the seller are off work that day. Then, when I get enough money in a few more weeks, I'll be taking it & the car down to DirtyDog where Alan will do a few things to it, then install it & one his Mark VIII torque converters & flexplates into the T-Bird.

Hopefully, I will then be able to kiss that damn torque converter shudder goodbye once and for all!! Man, that shudder is freaking annoying!!

Dennis
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 02:32 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
I'll be taking it & the car down to DirtyDog where Alan will do a few things to it, then install it & one his Mark VIII torque converters & flexplates into the T-Bird.
I think you are going to be really happy on the drive home!

A jmod on a newer tranny is a wonderful thing; adding a tune will make it snap like a manual, lol.

Talk to him about the tru cool tranny coolers like I bought. No fade next summer will be nice...

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
In the northern climate a tru cool may be a bit much considering a markVIII converter shouldn't really produce a ton of heat. A hayden 679 routed before the radiator should help to keep both engine temperatures and transmission temperatures at a normal operating range. A 180 thermostat will help as well. I prefer to run them running 3/8 lines however I am going to have to maill order fittings the parts store fittings are getting hard to find lately for some reason.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in