Mercon V - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Mercon V

I'm getting ready to do a transmission fluid and filter change in my 94 SC so I've been pricing a case of Mercon V. My local Advanced Auto has Valvoline Merc V in stock for $5.09 a quart and can get Motorcraft Merc V for $2.79 a quart (not in stock). Is Valvoline Mer V supposed to be a superior product compared to Motorcraft Merc V or why is there such a big price difference? Just wondering.

1995 SC (five speed)
Best E.T. [email protected]
Best MPH [email protected]
Best 60' 1.7489

1994 SC (automatic) [email protected]
On a stock long block with bolt on's
Sweet SC, lower13's coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 05:11 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy 2Coupes View Post
I'm getting ready to do a transmission fluid and filter change in my 94 SC so I've been pricing a case of Mercon V. My local Advanced Auto has Valvoline Merc V in stock for $5.09 a quart and can get Motorcraft Merc V for $2.79 a quart (not in stock). Is Valvoline Mer V supposed to be a superior product compared to Motorcraft Merc V or why is there such a big price difference? Just wondering.
In my shopping just last month for Merc V in CA (a higher priced area),
Autozone: Coastal Merc V - $3.99
Kragen/Oreilly/CSKAuto: Motocraft - $4.49
Walmart: Supertech Mercon V - $3.77

Mercon V is a spec so all oils that are labeled this should have passed this standard. Allegedly, Merc V is Merc III w/ some additives so any Merc-V should be equivalent. Thinking about it another way, Ford/Motorcraft doesn't make oil so they are buying it from somwhere else and relabelling it. If you find it for cheap, get it.

BTW, if you are buying at Advanced Auto, see if you can get it online, use a coupon, and ship it to store. I read on bobtheoilguy.com that the cheap price is because AAP is closing out stock of Motorcraft Mercon V, but you may try and see if you can snag it.

Regards,
-g

PS. If you haven't bought an ATF filter yet, PM me. I have an extra one. PM me an I'll cut you a deal (I'll even sell you the stuff to DIY your own JMOD kit if you haven't done it already).

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133407

My TCCOA iTrader Rating: (44 / 100% w/ 50+ transactions)

24 Hours of Lemons 2017 Sear Pointless Organizer's Choice
2018 Upgrade: does your TBIRD make Fritos? Mine does
http://goo.gl/csaet4

Last edited by S4gunn; 05-04-2011 at 05:19 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
3rd Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4gunn View Post
In my shopping just last month for Merc V in CA (a higher priced area),
Autozone: Coastal Merc V - $3.99
Kragen/Oreilly/CSKAuto: Motocraft - $4.49
Walmart: Supertech Mercon V - $3.77

Mercon V is a spec so all oils that are labeled this should have passed this standard. Allegedly, Merc V is Merc III w/ some additives so any Merc-V should be equivalent. Thinking about it another way, Ford/Motorcraft doesn't make oil so they are buying it from somwhere else and relabelling it. If you find it for cheap, get it.

BTW, if you are buying at Advanced Auto, see if you can get it online, use a coupon, and ship it to store. I read on bobtheoilguy.com that the cheap price is because AAP is closing out stock of Motorcraft Mercon V, but you may try and see if you can snag it.

Regards,
-g

PS. If you haven't bought an ATF filter yet, PM me. I have an extra one. PM me an I'll cut you a deal (I'll even sell you the stuff to DIY your own JMOD kit if you haven't done it already).

http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=133407
OK some good information, I believe I'll get the Motorcraft.
Thanks for the offer on the parts but I already have a Motorcraft fitler which is for a 2002 Mustang since that's what transmission in my SC and it's already been J-modded.

1995 SC (five speed)
Best E.T. [email protected]
Best MPH [email protected]
Best 60' 1.7489

1994 SC (automatic) [email protected]
On a stock long block with bolt on's
Sweet SC, lower13's coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have Valvoline Mercon V in mine, currently....been that way since the J-MOD happened nearly one year ago....I have been satisfied with it. Gonna change it soon, and probably go with Motocraft, just because
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
I have the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc (red bottle) in all three cars, last fall it was $2.66 a quart at Wal Mart but last month it had gone up to $4.44 a quart.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2011, 10:47 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Chris_Murder
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
I have the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc (red bottle) in all three cars, last fall it was $2.66 a quart at Wal Mart but last month it had gone up to $4.44 a quart.

Only recently did my local valvoline rep get me an actual invoice from valvoline stating that they the maxlife merc/dex meets or exceeds mercon v standards. I'll stick to castrol mercon v or valvoline's blue bottle. They've been very hit and miss every few months we get another invoice telling us "this now meets this standard" or "immediately discontinue using 'product x' in 'car x', it's not very assuring" I don't like valvoline's maxlife line very much. Frankly anything with a seal sweller is just asking for more trouble.

-1996 Pearl White Thunderbird 4.6 Sport 4v with many mods:
Current Best: 13.583 @ 103.74 10/2014.
227hp/241tq measured on calibrated mustang dyno, tested at full vehicle simulation with inertia enabled, no number skewing.
-2001 White Ford F-250 Super Duty 6.8 V10, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG KO2's, Bilstein 7100 Remote Reservoir Race Bypass Shocks, 6" Spring lift, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, FlowMaster Exhaust
Amber_Murder's Daily Driver.
-2005 White GMC Sierra 3500 6.6 Duramax, Dually, 4-door, 4x4, Limo Tint, BFG Commercial T/A's, Rancho RS9000XL Shocks, Kenwood Double Din, K&N Intake, Banks Monster Exhaust
Chris_Murder's Daily Driver.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:00 PM
1st Gear Poster

DEXron III / Mercon ishas been replaced by Mercon V. Mercon V is a full synthetic fluid and the other is a blended product.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulS1950 View Post
DEXron III / Mercon ishas been replaced by Mercon V. Mercon V is a full synthetic fluid and the other is a blended product.
Some MercIII trans do not like MecrV.

If all else fails get a bigger hammer!

93 SC Tbird
MPII w/ Plenum,90mm MAF, 85mm TB, 40# Injectors, 255 lph FP, Double IC w/fan, SCT Chip (Tuned by Jerry),3/4" Raised Top, F52-TT TC, SilverFox AOD 550, SPT-R VB
96 1/2 XR7 Sold and Salvaged
93 5.0 Tbird
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

I have taken to using Mobil 1 ATF in everything.

I started tracking what was going on in the transmissions that were going into stupid high horsepower cars, cars that are strictly race cars where the customers send them back in to "refresh" occasionally whether they need it or not and trucks. Almost always with either fluid type they didn't really need anything done. But, the ones with any regular form of Mercon V would hot spot on the intermediates almost always and usually also showed signs of getting hot on either or both the od band and direct clutch plates. Trucks would tend to glaze the OD band, probably from towing, and often showed signs of heat on the reverse clutches. Those that used Mobil 1 hardly ever showed any signs of anything anywhere.

So yes, I really do think it's that good.

I have no data on differences between the different manufacturers of Mercon V.

But, regardless of the application, the most important thing is to get yourself a good stacked plate style external cooler and change the fluid regularly.

Darrin

01 F150 5.4L 4x4 and a 98 Mustang GT vert sitting engineless and without transmission or converter

All my vehicles tuned by BC Automotive (me)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 09:36 AM
Voice/Data Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
I have taken to using Mobil 1 ATF in everything.

I started tracking what was going on in the transmissions that were going into stupid high horsepower cars, cars that are strictly race cars where the customers send them back in to "refresh" occasionally whether they need it or not and trucks. Almost always with either fluid type they didn't really need anything done. But, the ones with any regular form of Mercon V would hot spot on the intermediates almost always and usually also showed signs of getting hot on either or both the od band and direct clutch plates. Trucks would tend to glaze the OD band, probably from towing, and often showed signs of heat on the reverse clutches. Those that used Mobil 1 hardly ever showed any signs of anything anywhere.

So yes, I really do think it's that good.

I have no data on differences between the different manufacturers of Mercon V.

But, regardless of the application, the most important thing is to get yourself a good stacked plate style external cooler and change the fluid regularly.

Darrin
Nice experience to share . I have always used there engine oil in my years, and ever known issues

2017 Mustang GT 5.0L 2nd gen, cold air box,tune,6 speed auto,RGR 3.31, Magnaflow Tru X-pipe ,GT350RStrips
Gray Mustang Registry # 8582

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in