Tranny Problems? - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Tranny Problems?

Hi guys,

I did a little searching and didnt find anything relating to my problem so hopefully you guys can help. I have a 95 cougar with the 4.6 with 88,000 miles. since yesterday i have noticed a few things going on with my tranny, when i shift from neutral to reverse i get a hard clank but not from reverse to drive, also when i go to park the shifter gets hard to push past reverse, once i finally get it into park there is another hard clank. i check my trans fluid and it is not discolored and it dont smell burnt. i bought the car at 86000 about a month ago with bad fenders and a bad bumper i replaced the bumper and fenders and did a few modifications (exhaust and intake, plugs, wires and coils) but nothing that i think would affect the trans. i did let my buddy drive around the other day and i noticed that when going from reverse to drive or vice versa he dont like to wait until he is stopped could this be the cause of my problem?

Edit: Also when i pull the shifter into drive or any gear really it takes about a good second before the gear actually engages, is this normal? Thank you guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 PM
PostWhore

Check your u-joints.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 02:16 AM Thread Starter

a little trouble.

Hi guys,
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction
A few days ago at a park get together a few teenagers where rooting for me to do a burnout. So I did a little brake stand up to about 3 grand and let out of the break, after leaving I noticed a large amount of power loss, before this I was able to get a 0 to 60 between 7.6 and 8 seconds, the last few runs have landed me around 10.7 and 11.5. I have also noticed that throttle response feels real sloppy, what could be going on? Thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. I took the car to a tranny shop and was told the aound is due to my shifter linkage
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
Shifter linkage and mlps are the suspicious parts to me.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
probably ruined the transmission now that you revealed the truth about what "happened"
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlugo45 View Post
Hi guys,
Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction
A few days ago at a park get together a few teenagers where rooting for me to do a burnout. So I did a little brake stand up to about 3 grand and let out of the break, after leaving I noticed a large amount of power loss, before this I was able to get a 0 to 60 between 7.6 and 8 seconds, the last few runs have landed me around 10.7 and 11.5. I have also noticed that throttle response feels real sloppy, what could be going on? Thanks guys.
I would suggest not doing stuff like that.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

lol nothing wrong with a little brake stand I've done them countless times

-Patrick
[email protected] on used street tires
See profile for full list of mods

Pics here.. http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=129479
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 AM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to 96lxcorey
Clean your MAF, just kidding (that used to be the solution for everything back in the day)

I would check mlps and check those u joints.Shouldn't be any kind of clunk going into gear.

corey

Excuses are just that.......excuses
9 out of 10 times your gut feeling wont steer you wrong
1997 Sport
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

The clunk problem developed before the brake stand. Although knowing that now it don't sound like a great idea. I am cleaning the maf today due to my filter being crap and I noticed a lot of dirt in my intake.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

sorry guys but what exactly is a mlps, and what should i look for in the u joints? also while cleaning my maf today i noticed alot of slack in my throttle cable im going to search to see how i can tighten it. thanks for your help guys.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Kind of slapped together

Quote:
sorry guys but what exactly is a mlps, and what should i look for in the u joints? also while cleaning my maf today i noticed alot of slack in my throttle cable im going to search to see how i can tighten it. thanks for your help guys.
For the U-Joints - Play. If you turn the shaft, NEITHER yoke should be delayed any.

Also, roughness if you pull the driveshaft.

When i did the U-joints on Ruby Jean (the Cougar), you could hear them "CLICK" as you moved them through their range of motion ...

RwP
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-19-2011, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

no play in the drive shaft (if i checked it right) first test i tried to see if there was any play with my hands, none. then with me under the car i had my wife run it through reverse and drive, also not play. i rigged up the throttle cable and cleaned the MAF today, the lag is out of my pedal but the car still feels real "slow" just not nearly as much umphh as it had only a week ago, my trans still engages good and shifts good, the clank or clunk i asked about before i noticed only occurs on an incline on a flat surface i can pull the car into any gear smooth and quite, only clank i hear is when coasting and i step a little on the gas i hear a small clunk or clank, so could it be my trans? i know my IAC is bad could this be the cause of power loss? sorry for so many questions guys, both of my previous cougars where 3.8 cars i have been dreaming of a 4.6 cougar since i was a teenager and i finally was able to buy one, i have all these plans for my cougar and its driving me crazy that my plans will have to be set aside just to get the car into proper running condition.

also a little background on the car if it helps at all,

i bought the car @ 86000mi i just rolled over 90000, i had the mufflers/ resonators cut off and stright pipes welded on, i also fabbed up a cold air intake with auto zone parts and a k&n cone filter mounted where the air silencer was, also i installed a 180 degree t-stat, when i first got the car it burned oil pretty bad, about 1qt every 1000mi, two oil changes later two cans of restore and lucas oil stabilizer i have pretty much eliminated the oil burning, or it is so minimal i cant tell.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 03:28 AM
PostWhore

That's a good plan and smart. Get the basics and obvious fixed then maintain it, it will last a long time.

Have you checked your motor mounts? or ever changed them before.

-Kelly
Fuelly
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-20-2011, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

trans fluid and filter change today seems that all the problems have gone away, although a mechanic did tell me today the third cat is clogged, i found a exhaust shop to cut it off for me so hopefully that helps a little to. thanks guys.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 PM
PostWhore

Quote:
then with me under the car i had my wife run it through reverse and drive, also not play.
You are a brave man.

-Kelly
Fuelly

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in