Rear Axles, 8.8 pumpkin & brake swap - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Rear Axles, 8.8 pumpkin & brake swap

Project "No Sleep"

This took all day (about 12 hours for one person to do) but it's finally done and working awesome.

Rear axle swap from a 90 SC with disk brakes
Mark VIII aluminum 8.8 pumpkin w/3:27's

I had the axles and rear disk brakes sitting in the garage for about 6 years and Tim got a good deal on a Mark VIII 8.8 pumpkin for me so I decided it was time to get it done. Tim popped the axles out fairly easy and dropped my greasy/leaky rear end in the driveway, that part went pretty quick. Putting the Mark VIII pumpkin in it barely cleared the exhaust but it fit. A lot of things were prepped to save time, I had painted everything including the calipers, brackets, had the wheel bearings done so it would all be ready to go in.

While Tim was bolting the rear end in I masked off the car, shocks, springs and some suspension parts then painted the wheel wells and upper control arms with Rustoleum spray bedliner. It looks pretty awesome, looks new.

Axles went in next (not the $1699 ones) which Tim had cleaned up with a drill and wire wheel to get all of the crud and rust off, same with the spindles that are now shiny and new looking. Painted the ends of the axles and half shafts so hopefully they wont rust anymore. Also removed the dust shields from the spindles. Brakes were the worst part but only because the pistons weren't compressed so that took as long as half the rest if the install.

It looks a lot different with the disk brakes, I'm so used to seeing the ugly drums on there through my wheels. We need to go through it one more time to make it perfect, I want to put steel brake lines on it, take the wheels off and touch up the calipers that got chipped and I ran out of bedliner spray on the passenger side, it's covered but needs another coat. The pumpkin bracket is kind of half painted too and don't think the bottom of the pumpkin was painted. I'm just anal about that stuff, I want it to look as perfect as possible. Nothing that can't be done with everything on the car though.

I'm going to take the front apart to spray the bedliner on the front wheel wells and remove those dust shields too. I noticed when he had everything out of the car it didn't look too bad except my rear lower control arms really look like crap especially with all the new/painted stuff so I need to do something about those next.

I didn't get a lot of pictures but have some and will post them tomorrow. It was after midnight when we finished so I'll take some day time pics tomorrow of the finished project. I didn't get a whole lot of pics I kept spacing it out and was trying to help Tim handing him tools or whatever he needed. More after pics later today.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer

Last edited by BlueEyes; 06-21-2011 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 07:33 PM
MA Chapter Director

Administrator

Garage
Looking good!

I did the 8.8 pumpkin swap years ago, then added the V8 half shafts later. Did almost the same as you, painted everything except the wheel wells. Definitely makes a difference, enjoy!

Joe

It's not a 97 Sport, it just looks like one!

Mass. TCCoAers, Send me your info!

I buy all my Ford parts from 93 lx.

Member of the TCCoA Damage Control Team.

R.I.P. Johnny Langton 1975 - 2011
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Looks good

Will

The Texas Green Bird (An undeveloped work of art.)
92 Thunderbird Sport 5.0: Sold

91 gt, 5.0 73mm turbo, 5spd, 373s, and much more
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 01:21 AM
Veteran Poster

good work, it looks great.

---Jeremy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 07:28 AM
PostWhore
The AFDB is on a lil tight.

That was a long day. The funny opr not funny part was that the autozone rented the caliper racheting tool but didnt have it available to rent so I went to the nearest one from that location and they were closed. The car has very little rust present even on the most rust prone spots so its not bad looking underneath either. At this rate Id just try to swap the mark arms and forget painting the LCAs. You may or may not need perches But I sure as hell didnt, In fact my car sits higher. Dont you still have those mark lcas Kelly? Might as well finish the mark aluminum swap if you get a drive shaft. The best part is you dont have to paint them just clean them up and they look great. IIRC the ones you have are clean already.

Spinning pies like wheels.

DD driving my 20 year old project

Now with new ball joints...again
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM
1st Gear Poster

Looks good under there. I guess the smallest things you do can make a big effect on your car..
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2011, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I wanted to hit the wheel wells with the bedliner because I'm hoping to get it painted soon. Don't want to be doing it after the car is painted. I may put the mark LCA's on but can't really afford the bushings. I have a lot of things going on I still need to fix just to keep it on the road.

-Kelly
===================================
Fuelly
94 LX 3.8L NA : Daily Driver. 270k on chassis, 10k on motor.
90 35th Anniversary SC : Stored for the Winter.
Needs Harmonic Balancer, complete suspension overhaul.
WTB: 90 SC BHJ harmonic balancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in