Project "No Sleep"
This took all day (about 12 hours for one person to do) but it's finally done and working awesome.
Rear axle swap from a 90 SC with disk brakes
Mark VIII aluminum 8.8 pumpkin w/3:27's
I had the axles and rear disk brakes sitting in the garage for about 6 years and Tim got a good deal on a Mark VIII 8.8 pumpkin for me so I decided it was time to get it done. Tim popped the axles out fairly easy and dropped my greasy/leaky rear end in the driveway, that part went pretty quick. Putting the Mark VIII pumpkin in it barely cleared the exhaust but it fit. A lot of things were prepped to save time, I had painted everything including the calipers, brackets, had the wheel bearings done so it would all be ready to go in.
While Tim was bolting the rear end in I masked off the car, shocks, springs and some suspension parts then painted the wheel wells and upper control arms with Rustoleum spray bedliner. It looks pretty awesome, looks new.
Axles went in next (not the $1699 ones) which Tim had cleaned up with a drill and wire wheel to get all of the crud and rust off, same with the spindles that are now shiny and new looking. Painted the ends of the axles and half shafts so hopefully they wont rust anymore. Also removed the dust shields from the spindles. Brakes were the worst part but only because the pistons weren't compressed so that took as long as half the rest if the install.
It looks a lot different with the disk brakes, I'm so used to seeing the ugly drums on there through my wheels. We need to go through it one more time to make it perfect, I want to put steel brake lines on it, take the wheels off and touch up the calipers that got chipped and I ran out of bedliner spray on the passenger side, it's covered but needs another coat. The pumpkin bracket is kind of half painted too and don't think the bottom of the pumpkin was painted. I'm just anal about that stuff, I want it to look as perfect as possible. Nothing that can't be done with everything on the car though.
I'm going to take the front apart to spray the bedliner on the front wheel wells and remove those dust shields too. I noticed when he had everything out of the car it didn't look too bad except my rear lower control arms really look like crap especially with all the new/painted stuff so I need to do something about those next.
I didn't get a lot of pictures but have some and will post them tomorrow. It was after midnight when we finished so I'll take some day time pics tomorrow of the finished project. I didn't get a whole lot of pics I kept spacing it out and was trying to help Tim handing him tools or whatever he needed. More after pics later today.