4R70W help & support - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2011, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

4R70W help & support

Hi guys, it's been a few years since I've been here, that's in large part to the expertise I got from this site and members back then.

My trans is alive and well (hope I don't jinx it, LOL), but my brother-in-law's ain't that lucky. It's a 99 GT auto with a turbo, about 450 at the wheels, 4.10s, driven spirited to say the least. About 30K miles ago I put an Alto Red kit in it. Should have followed the tech article, like I did on mine, I know.

I had him pull it and bring it to me, I'm getting old, but maybe one more Auto excursion won't hurt.

I have taken the valve body off and pulled the accumulators out, what a mess. LOL The guts are next.

There is water (seems like way more than condensation) in the oil, and it was basically going nowhere. First question, is the oil coming from the radiator? (don't know where else it would come from) My car has survived with only a large auxiliary cooler, no radiator pass.

I know it would be MUCH easier to buy a performance trans from D0g , but money isn't easy to come by these days, for either of us. We would like to go with a full manual valve body, but that's not happening either.

My plan is to completely disassemble this one and inspect, clean, and/or replace components with ones listed in the tech article. Basically what I did to mine.

Second question, when flushing/cleaning the components, what areas should I either, be sure to do, or be careful doing?

Third question, is there a complete gasket kit anyone would recommend?

I know it's Labor Day weekend, but there is no hurry on this project.

DirtyD0g, you were very helpful in the past, I hope I don't wear out my welcome.

11.18 @ 128
list of Mods

Last edited by DanCobra96; 09-03-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 08:55 AM
6th Gear Poster

Thumbs up

Turbo throws out RIDICULOUS heat so Aftermarket Rad & seperate Tranny Cooler is mandatory & not optional IMO - From what I've gathered here you have Rad Cooler Leak - DD says Water kills ALL Clutches... including those in TC - Hopefully Pump survived the Water or you may be a buying Tranny fm DD anyway ~! - I rebuilt mine myself too but made sure to purchase Hard Parts & Gasket set & TC fm DD as I too relied on him heavily for help - Good luck.

GET OFF MY LAWN~! ... & Let's not forget guys... There's still a dead Imaginary Ex-Girlfriend out there...

Last edited by BUCK; 09-05-2011 at 09:03 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear Poster

thanks buck, Trying to find out if the radiator failure is normal.
Also, I took the guts out today, the intermediate clutch was shredded, but other than that, things didn't look too bad. I will for sure be replacing the frictions and steels with ford stuff, per the tech article. And a new/rebuilt TC. The budget won't even allow a B&M. Gotta have a conversation with D0g for sure.

At this point the moral of the story would have to be , don't use the Alto kit in your trans. LOL

11.18 @ 128
list of Mods
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
The glue used to bond the frictions is water soluable, it isn't if they will fail it is when. The converter actually gets it the worst because water sits in there and will sink to the bottom when sitting and put straight water on part, then that part falls off and leaves a missing chunk. If you need parts give me a call I can make a you a complete kit or just what you need. That is what I am here for. I can fix the converter too. As far as wearing it out well it is work to me and in this slow economy all work is appreciated. I have said many times that people with high performance cars really should learn to do the transmission themselves. I like doing them but if you are racing every weekend and break it it sure is easier to figure out if you do it yourself.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

I think I may have passed by you in your Cobra a few time in my work travels. Good luck with the car.

1995 LX 4.6 Stock for now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in