Traction Control - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Traction Control

I think this is the right place to ask this question.

96 cougar didn't come with traction control, but I know it was an option at the time. Is there a way to add traction control to my cougar? What is all involved?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Traction control is a function of ABS. So unless you have ABS, then you're more or less out of luck unless you feel the work to add it is worth it. If you already have ABS but no traction control then I'm not sure what would be involved.

You can, however, add a traction-lok limited slip differential.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 12-05-2011 at 05:08 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
If you have ABS all you might need would be a ABS computer from a traction assist car and the VMM module with the button(or the 97 console button). It's otherwise all prewired in the dash and engine compartment harnesses. I'm not certain however that the HCU is different or not as it isn't specified one way or the other in my manuals. There's a pair of additional solenoids for traction assist but it's possible they are present but unused on non-traction assist ABS HCUs.

But it's really not that effective of a system. It's off at any speed above 30, it doesn't cut engine power, thus it barely helps from a stop in the rain and doesn't help at all in snow. If you have traction lock or ever plan to it becomes even more useless.

-Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

I do have ABS. Was only wanting traction control because the back tires tend to spin too easily on wet roads. I figured it might help. Tires only have 8-9,000 miles on them. I live in San Antonio so I rarely have to worry about snow, Just greasy ass wet roads from rain after months of drought.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2011, 11:55 PM
Kind of slapped together

Zigzag - Come up here to Louisiana, we've got a few MN12s with traklok diffs and (typically) 3.27 gears, whole pumpkins for $45 or so.

www.uautopullitautoparts.com is one local chain, you can check the pre-tax pre-DEQ prices there (it ends up about $55 or so for that $45 diff ... )

RwP
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2012, 09:49 PM
1st Gear Poster

What type of tires are you using? Since you don't have to worry about snow you can really focus your tires for maximum traction in wet conditions. With 9000 miles your tires should still be going strong, so the tire design must not be optimal for your use. Even with traction control if your tires are poor you will see limited gains.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in