94 lx with od button - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

94 lx with od button

I have no clue what transmission it has. But it has an over drive button. Its slipping and slow to shift. Badly in the last week. I changed the filter and fluid of course... the old fuild was red and clean. At the bottom pan where the magnet was full of metal..... my question is a 94 sc transmission.... I know it bolts up and ect... but will I have to Repin anything? And will it have longer gears?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 07:56 PM
6th Gear Poster

your trans is 4r70w
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Direct swap. You're better off though finding at LEAST 96 up - even better if you can get a 99 up (from a 3.8 Mustang) - since the valve body in 94/95 was horrible.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 PM
PostWhore

Garage
yeah, avoid the 95 and down like the plague, they have roller one way clutches, and the valve body is very poor as stated.

find yourself a 96 or 97 and you wont have to repin the connectors, 98+ requires a repin, but their much better the newer you get of course.

and some of the 96's ive herd also came with roller clutches which are more prone to failure then the mechanical diode ones from 97 and up. so 97+ is where i would look.

just remember though that pretty much everything your going to find for these cars is gonna be high millage or it will have sat on a shelf for years. so used will most likely not be a good plan. and a lot of the re-builders out their use substandard parts to get you back out on the road only to return to them after the warranty expires...

also, those magnets will always be full of metal. that's what they were put their to collect. as a trans operates it will naturally grind off small filings of clutch material, metal from bearings, etc. now if theirs large pieces of metal, then you can worry. as long as you wipe all of those filings off when you do the filter and fluid changes all will be well.

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Last edited by nall_one; 10-03-2012 at 11:22 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:38 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The mechanical diode wasn't a sure-thing until 98. Some of the 97s had them - but most didn't.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 161k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 155k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci

Last edited by theterminator93; 10-04-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: I shouldn't be posting 3 minutes after I open my eyes in the morning...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:50 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Thanks guys. I found a 2000 with 63,000 with motor car was total 500$ for both... I'm still going to buy the sc trans and use it for now.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nall_one View Post
yeah, avoid the 95 and down like the plague, they have roller one way clutches, and the valve body is very poor as stated.

find yourself a 96 or 97 and you wont have to repin the connectors, 98+ requires a repin, but their much better the newer you get of course.

and some of the 96's ive herd also came with roller clutches which are more prone to failure then the mechanical diode ones from 97 and up. so 97+ is where i would look.

just remember though that pretty much everything your going to find for these cars is gonna be high millage or it will have sat on a shelf for years. so used will most likely not be a good plan. and a lot of the re-builders out their use substandard parts to get you back out on the road only to return to them after the warranty expires...

also, those magnets will always be full of metal. that's what they were put their to collect. as a trans operates it will naturally grind off small filings of clutch material, metal from bearings, etc. now if theirs large pieces of metal, then you can worry. as long as you wipe all of those filings off when you do the filter and fluid changes all will be well.

I knew shaving and stuff would appear. Normal use age. But the magnet had fresh and small metal parts... then at the bottom of the pan was grey stuck..... it just been shifting worst and now slipping
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 AM
Seasoned Veteran Poster

Well since you going to replace it anyway blow it up!

Rob
2004 QSM Pontiac GTO 1 of 889 245,00 and counting
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 05:48 PM
PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
The mechanical diode wasn't a sure-thing until 98. Some of the 97s had them - but most didn't.
ah, knew it was something like that. suppose the only real way of telling then without tearing it down would be to turn the output shaft backwards and listen for the clicks...

and yeah, if theirs pieces of metal stuck to the magnet bigger then a grain of rice then its most likely shelling out.

rmfk13 has a good idea though if you were to do that, and even if you don't; its always a good idea to flush the cooler and lines before installing a new unit. get all the junk of out them so they don't get flushed back into your new trans and blow it as well. most parts stores sell kooler klean and stuff in an aerosol can that work ok. sometimes its also just better to buy a new cooler if you have an aftermarket one hooked up.

or bypass the rad and get one installed i like my trucoolmax

RUST!! eating away at me more than the rear fender wells
95 Deep Jewel Green 40th Anniversary Bird / Stock SOHC 190k 96-97 intake swap, 97 Mk8 4R70W, Jmod, 3L27 / energy susp rear spindle, and cobra arm bushings, 93 Mk8 shaft, and LCAs, 225/60r16 on Windstar twin 5spokes, Vogtland 1.6drop springs, Tokico Blues, PBR, and rear-disk swap, 89 SC swaybars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in