debris in trans pan - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via Yahoo to Blackicelsc
debris in trans pan

I am doing a simple 1-2 shift accum upgrade for a friend.
1993 Mark VIII
73k miles
typical TC shudder...so doing a Mercon V fluid swap(converter and pan, so all fluid)
dropped pan and found the magnet had pieces of metal stuck to it, beyond the typical "wear".....these pieces resembled small pieces of cut off 'cotter pin' scraps.

they were small, thin and about 1/2" long....several small pieces...silver in color.

2 questions...

1)is this thing toast? fluid was new, but some shop put Merc III in it. it had the typical "rumble strip" TC shudder at 37 mph when the converter would lock.

2)can I leave the 1-2 lower spring out without doing the JMOD(he doesn't want me to dig in to the VB and drill the sep. plate/gasket)

I am installing the updated 1-2 piston and springs.
the old piston was stock, no signs of damage or wear, and the springs were intact.

I struggle to see how this trans could have such breakage at such low miles...he literally did buy it from an old man who was the original owner whose wife drove it...it's too clean to have been abused, and he had the trans serviced 2 times...in 1998 and 2011....still only 73k miles...

thought?

thanks gang
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 02:22 PM
Converter Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to dirtyd0g
You can leave the spring out but remember the hard shift puts an additional strain on the one way clutch that probably will not take it without a spiral retainer. The 93 mark actually had the 14 element roller clutch which was the better of the bunch but the snap ring is still prone to coming off.
Alan

DirtyDog Performance.Com
Proud sponsor of the SC/XR7 Shootout and Joel Bender Memorial Nats

Please do not send me messages on forums they are too hard to keep up with and I don't check in very often anymore call me at 513 898-1580 or email me alan at dirtydogperformance.com
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM
1st Gear Poster

Swapping the fluid probably won't get rid off the shudder, typically it takes a converter as well in my experience
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 07:26 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badcat95 View Post
Swapping the fluid probably won't get rid off the shudder, typically it takes a converter as well in my experience
My Explorer shuddered badly when I first bought it (1996 5.0L with 4R70W tranny).

All I did was disconnect the upper transmission line, start the vehicle and let it pump out as much tranny fluid as it could, then refill it with Castrol Mercon V.

The shudder stopped completely and that was about 7 months ago.

~Rick

TCCoA Sig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in