CV Axle Half-Shaft Replacement - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Send a message via Yahoo to dmw_4814
CV Axle Half-Shaft Replacement

I'm preparing to do some work on my 1997 T-bird Sport's rear suspension (replacing rear wheel bearings & all rear suspension bushings/toe link compensators), and I'm wondering if it might not be a wise idea, since my Thunderbird has just turned 197,000 miles, to go ahead and replace the CV axle half-shafts at the same time, since everything will already be apart.

How long do those things usually last? I'm not, as far as I'm aware, having any problems related to them, and the rubber boots aren't ripped or torn (as far as I'm aware; I'm going to get under the car first chance I get this coming week and check for sure), but they're relatively inexpensive at $52.00/each (and, those are new, not rebuilt).

Should I not worry about replacing them if I'm not having problems, or would it be smart to do it now, as opposed to having to tear everything apart again, if needed, in the future?

How do the half-shafts pull out of the differential? Is there some type of clip holding them in, or do they just pull out?

What is the axle shaft bearing? I'm assuming that's in the hole on the differential, where the axle shaft goes into it, or is it actually on the axle shaft? And, the axle shaft seal (I'm looking at these parts on RockAuto, right now); that's also in that hole? Or, is the axle shaft seal the dust seal Ford recommends replacing when you pull the knuckle from the axle shaft? Would a new half-shaft come with a dust seal already on it?

Sorry for any stupid questions I've asked! :-)

Thanks,

Dennis
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw_4814 View Post
I'm preparing to do some work on my 1997 T-bird Sport's rear suspension (replacing rear wheel bearings & all rear suspension bushings/toe link compensators), and I'm wondering if it might not be a wise idea, since my Thunderbird has just turned 197,000 miles, to go ahead and replace the CV axle half-shafts at the same time, since everything will already be apart.

How long do those things usually last? I'm not, as far as I'm aware, having any problems related to them, and the rubber boots aren't ripped or torn (as far as I'm aware; I'm going to get under the car first chance I get this coming week and check for sure), but they're relatively inexpensive at $52.00/each (and, those are new, not rebuilt).

Should I not worry about replacing them if I'm not having problems, or would it be smart to do it now, as opposed to having to tear everything apart again, if needed, in the future?

How do the half-shafts pull out of the differential? Is there some type of clip holding them in, or do they just pull out?

What is the axle shaft bearing? I'm assuming that's in the hole on the differential, where the axle shaft goes into it, or is it actually on the axle shaft? And, the axle shaft seal (I'm looking at these parts on RockAuto, right now); that's also in that hole? Or, is the axle shaft seal the dust seal Ford recommends replacing when you pull the knuckle from the axle shaft? Would a new half-shaft come with a dust seal already on it?

Sorry for any stupid questions I've asked! :-)

Thanks,

Dennis
I'll try and help here too. If it were me, I would leave the stock shafts if there is no issue. They normally only break when you throw gobs of power/torque at them. But if you feel better about it, it surely wouldn't hurt. It really wouldn't be hard to swap them later if necessary.

Axle seal and bearing are in the differential. As for when and how to change those, I'll let someone else chime in. I've never done that task.

To get them out you need to remove the 36mm nut in the center of the hub. As said in the other thread, that's a one use nut and it should be torqued to 250lb/ft. It will be tight. Push the shaft out of the hub (It may not push back far enough to clear. That is fine.). Then you want to remove the UCA to spindle bolt. This will allow you to rotate the spindle out and give you some room. At the differential side you just need a big flat screwdriver or prybar. Pry them gently away from the pumpkin and they'll pop out. They have a c-clip on them if I recall. You should then be able to pull them out of the car.

1994 Thunderbird - 2000 4.2L M5R2 now has 55k

1995 Thunderbird - 2002 Alum 4.6L SVO - Awaiting transplant... (Parts donor)

1996 Cougar - 2004 3.9L 4R70W
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

So, what's involved in replacing the axle shaft bearing & seal in the differential? Does the seal just pry out with a screwdriver? What about the bearing? If I'm going to replace the half-shafts, I might as well replace the bearing and seal on each side too, with 197,000 miles on them!

Last edited by dmw_4814; 05-05-2014 at 02:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Replacing the bearings requires more or less a teardown and rebuild of the pumpkin. The seals you pry/knock out with a screwdriver and can knock the new ones in with block of wood and a hammer without needing to open it up or remove the pumpkin.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2014, 09:34 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
So, what's involved in replacing the axle shaft bearing & seal in the differential? Does the seal just pry out with a screwdriver? What about the bearing? If I'm going to replace the half-shafts, I might as well replace the bearing and seal on each side to, with 197,000 miles on them!

A Seal Remover works good on those Pilot Bearing Seals:

Once you have the Pilot Bearing Seals removed..You need a Pilot Bearing Puller..This attaches to the end of a Slide Hammer..

It might take a couple of wacks but they'll come out..Make sure you don't shove the tips of the puller so far in you damage the carrier..

After all that's out..You can use a Bearing Race Installer to tap the new Pilot Bearings into place..

If you're careful..You can use the Bearing Installer tools to tap the Pilot Bearing Seals in as well..

Put a little oil on them, and make sure to tap them in straight so as to avoid a bad seal later on down the line..

The same goes for when you install your new halfshafts..Make sure to insert them straight-in..So you don't tear the seal..

Unless you already have the tools handy..You can rent them from O'Reilly's, or another parts store..

Slide Hammer

Pilot Bearing Puller

Bearing Race Installer

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:43 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Rayo,

Thank you for the AWESOME info - I really appreciate it!

Dennis
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2014, 12:56 PM
̇

Garage
Not a problem..Glad I could help..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by theterminator93 View Post
Replacing the bearings requires more or less a teardown and rebuild of the pumpkin. The seals you pry/knock out with a screwdriver and can knock the new ones in with block of wood and a hammer without needing to open it up or remove the pumpkin.
So, are you telling me that the pilot bearing, or whatever the bearing is where the CV axle half-shafts go into the differential case, cannot be replaced without tearing open the pumpkin?

Dennis
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 06:01 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
Quote:
So, are you telling me that the pilot bearing, or whatever the bearing is where the CV axle half-shafts go into the differential case, cannot be replaced without tearing open the pumpkin?

Dennis
The bearings are bolted into the case.

They also hold the pumpkin in place, iirc.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-04-2014, 06:23 PM
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grog6 View Post
The bearings are bolted into the case.

They also hold the pumpkin in place, iirc.

The Pilot Bearings are not bolted in..They can be pulled out with the pumpkin still bolted in place..

Like I said..Just remove the Pilot Bearing Seals..Then use the puller to remove the Pilot Bearings..

Rayo..

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
The Pilot Bearings are not bolted in..They can be pulled out with the pumpkin still bolted in place..

Like I said..Just remove the Pilot Bearing Seals..Then use the puller to remove the Pilot Bearings..

Rayo..
Got it! Again, thanks.

With this much mileage on my car, it will just give me piece of mind to, while the suspension's already apart to replace rear wheel bearings & all control arm/knuckle bushings, just go ahead and also replace the CV axle half-shafts and pilot bearings/seals.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct parts on RockAuto.com, and I want to be sure I'm ordering the correct items.

I prefer to use Timken parts for all bearing needs on my car, and the axle shaft bearing I'm looking at has a Timken part #FC66998, and the axle shaft seal is Timken #714569.

Does anyone know if these would be the correct parts?

Thanks,

Dennis
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 AM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post

Rayo..
Nope, but the pinion bearings are...

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm looking at the correct parts on RockAuto.com, and I want to be sure I'm ordering the correct items.

I prefer to use Timken parts for all bearing needs on my car, and the axle shaft bearing I'm looking at has a Timken part #FC66998, and the axle shaft seal is Timken #714569.

Does anyone know if these would be the correct parts?

Thanks,

Dennis
Yes, those are the right ones.

-Brandon
97 Laser Red Thunderbird LX 162k, Stage 2 4.6L 2v N/A | 300 BHP (255 RWHP, 290 RWTQ) | 13.95 @ 97.58 | Build details | Pics at the Lorain Assembly plant
98 Black Mark VIII 160k, stock daily driver
07 Redfire Fusion V6 SEL 178k, for the wife
Gone but not forgotten: 96 Mark VIII, 94 Cougar XR7, 93 Mark VIII

TCCoA's resident pilot since 2014
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the world with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return. -Leonardo da Vinci
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2014, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
PostWhore

Thank you, Brandon!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-16-2014, 10:23 PM
Rob
Seasoned PostWhore

Send a message via AIM to Rob
I was not aware of any bearings you can change aside from the carrier bearings and pinion bearings. Changing carrier bearings would require removal of the axles and the carrier, then a press. The pilot bearing remover above looks like the thing I put on my slide hammer to remove pilot bearings/bushings from the crankshaft on manual trans cars.

-Rob
RIP '94 Amber Fire Pearl Metallic Thunderbird on Bullitts [email protected]
96 Sport '02 Explorer PI with ported heads, 90MM LMAF, DirtyDog Marauder TC, Lasota tune, Jmod, Magnaflow mid-mount with X, no cats. Urethane drivers motor mount. HIDs!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in