The ten year vibration that can't be fixed - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

The ten year vibration that can't be fixed

For 10 or 12 years now, can't really remember, my car would have a nasty vibration on the freeway. Anytime you got abouve 90km/h or 100km/h you'd feel a vibration in the steering wheel, accelerator pedal, driver seat, passenger seat, pretty much everywhere. I don't remember if came on suddenly or gradually.

I thought I'd give the experts one more shot at fixing it this summer and so far no luck.

So, far, the Dynotech driveshaft was balanced, and we tried a stock driveshaft, which made no difference. Balanced the rims/tires and even tried a different set of 4 rims/tires, which made no difference.

Put on a different rear differential assembly, a used one from a Super Coupe. That made no difference. Also put on a set of used read half shafts from a Super Coupe. That made no difference.

Put on new differential housing bushings made no diference.

Now, if it matters, there's also a clunk sound when the car drives over a large hump. Sounds like it's from the front-right suspension compressing. I've had this for many years too.
I also noticed a couple of times some nasty clunk going in reverse with the steering wheel turned to the limit. A mechanic also says the same vibration is felt when driving fast in reverse.

The vibration is present if you run the car on a dyno up to highway speed. You also feel it if you jack up the back end and drive the car up to highway speed with the rear tires hanging off the ground and the front wheels chocked.

Are there any other crazy Ideas I should suggest to the mechanic/shop? Rear brake rotors? Transmission rear mount?

FYI it's a 1996 Thunderbird 4.6, big bore aluminum block, Allen supercharger, awesome condition, no rust at all, paint looks new, but I feel like shooting the thing.

[email protected]
Stock NPI longblock and Allen Engine Developments kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 12:20 PM
Baby Huey

Bro, you and I are having the exact same issues. I have also tried everything you have. I now have the issue isolated and believe it to be one of the wheel bearings or a somehow a cracked rear spindle.

But exactly the same issue. Mine is 70mph. Changed driveshafts, differentials, axles, wheels/tires, every single bushing in the rear suspension except for subframe to chassis bushings.

Car vibrates on jacks stands at 70mph even with no wheels or brakes on the car. When i ran it with no axles the issue disappeared. I initially thought bad axles and replaced with a known good set, same problem. So i'm almost 100% somethings up with a wheel bearing.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 05:59 PM
Seasoned PostWhore

Garage
The last time I tracked down one of these issues it turned out to be the exhaust .. added another hanger and it went away. May not be your issue, but sometimes you need to think outside the box.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:05 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
When my driveshaft went bad in the red Cougar, it vibrated like crazy.

I replaced it, and there were still issues.

I ended up doing the diff, bearings were bad, the tailshaft bushing in the tranny, and the wheel bearings.

I accidentally broke one of the wheel bearings and knuckle removing the bearing; (my support shifted under pressure) the outer race had this really strange ridged pattern all the way around from the vibration.

If I can find it, I'll post a pic.

Bad wheel bearings is not a crazy idea for the prob y'all are having.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:14 PM
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, No!!!

Garage
When my driveshaft went bad in the red Cougar, it vibrated like crazy.

I replaced it, and there were still issues.

I ended up doing the diff, bearings were bad, the tailshaft bushing in the tranny, and the wheel bearings.

I accidentally broke one of the wheel bearings and knuckle removing the bearing; (my support shifted under pressure) the outer race had this really strange ridged pattern all the way around from the vibration.

If I can find it, I'll post a pic.

Bad wheel bearings is not a crazy idea for the prob y'all are having.

Red '96 Cougar XR-7 240k mi. '02 4R70W, PST DS : '03 PI engine, 04 maf, 24lb injectors, 2.5" exhaust, '02 4r70w + Jmod, DirtyD0g TC + cooler + 3/8" lines, 255 walbro fp. Alpine system.
Black '96 Cougar XR-7 (Lazarus) 210k mi PI Intake, '02 4R70W, Jmod, PST DS, GrogTune, Konis, Mark LCA+Poly, racecougar Custom Engine Chain, and JL and racecougar Bracing.
Black '97 Tbird Limited Edition, '02 4R70W, 255 walbro, PST DS, PBR Brakes&SS lines, Toicko Blues & Springs, GrogTune.

"War Is Peace. Freedom Is Slavery. Ignorance Is Strength." - George Orwell.
Truth Isn't Truth. - Rudy Giuliani, 2018 Award winner, “Most Outrageous Diversion” by MSNBC for this quote
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM
2nd Gear Poster

I had that issue while mine was still under warranty at 6 years out (I had purchased the extended warranty). Vibrated all over the place. Took it right in. It was indeed the wheel bearings. 14 years later and it has never come back.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2015, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear Poster

Sounds like the wheel bearings is the thing to examine next. But don't they usually start squealing a whole lot when they start going bad? That's what my Taurus did twice. My Tbird isn't making any noise that I'd normally attribute to the bearings.

[email protected]
Stock NPI longblock and Allen Engine Developments kit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in