Reliable Aftermarket Halfshafts - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
̇

Garage
Reliable Aftermarket Halfshafts

Who currently makes reliable aftermarket halfshafts for our cars?

I'm only seeing a couple options: SURTRACK & CARDONE

Is there anyone rebuilding the stock halfshafts here in the U.S.A using quality parts?

I don't need $1600 DSS halfshafts..

What halfshafts are you guys running?..Mileage on them??..Issues??

I'd be interested in getting mine rebuilt..If any of you have first hand experience with a CV Axle rebuilder that does quality work..

Thanks..

Rayo..

1991 Ford Thunderbird Sport

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 12:31 PM
4th Gear Poster

I installed a Cardone in a Volvo about a year ago. It had USA on the box, but where the parts were from are anybody's guess.

It had the proper cv boot clamps and the boots 'appeared' to be of decent quality.

Last I heard it's still going without issue.

I realize that's purely anecdotal, but hopefully it helps.

FYI rockauto has axles listed under 'driveshaft' for MN12s/FN10's made by 'Nasa Axles' for $216.79 USD...and they're on closeout with a 30 day warranty....your mileage may vary.

I'd steer clear of the cheap chinese axles, I've seen them break off inside of diffs and tranny's, and if you're lucky you can drill, tap and get them out with a slide hammer. Fun.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
̇

Garage
Anyone that is considering using Chinese half shafts should take a look at this thread:-->>Broken SurTrack FD-8082 Axle

The quality of steel used on the Chinese half shafts is subpar to say the least..
I wouldn't doubt it if the stock Ford 7.5 half shafts are stronger than the Chinese garbage offered for our 8.8 rear ends..

Sure, you're getting new "shiny" parts with the Chinese half shafts..Too bad the "shiny" parts suck!

I think if I had to replace a half shaft..I would probably just use "Remanufactured" vs "New"

Generally, the "Remanufactured" half shaft rebuilders are using Ford cores..So, that's one thing in their favor..

The "Remanufactured" half shafts no doubt have their flaws as well..
So, until someone can recommend a good rebuilder using quality parts you're just rolling the dice..

Still, better than "new" Chinese half shafts..lol

If any of you have first hand experience with a CV Axle rebuilder that does quality work please speak up..

Rayo..

"If you don't know where you're going..Any road will take you there."George Harrison
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 05:53 PM
Road warrior extrodinaire

Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayo View Post
Who currently makes reliable aftermarket halfshafts for our cars?

I'm only seeing a couple options: SURTRACK & CARDONE

Is there anyone rebuilding the stock halfshafts here in the U.S.A using quality parts?

I don't need $1600 DSS halfshafts..

What halfshafts are you guys running?..Mileage on them??..Issues??

I'd be interested in getting mine rebuilt..If any of you have first hand experience with a CV Axle rebuilder that does quality work..

Thanks..

Rayo..
Quote:
Anyone that is considering using Chinese half shafts should take a look at this thread:-->>Broken SurTrack FD-8082 Axle

The quality of steel used on the Chinese half shafts is subpar to say the least..
I wouldn't doubt it if the stock Ford 7.5 half shafts are stronger than the Chinese garbage offered for our 8.8 rear ends..

Sure, you're getting new "shiny" parts with the Chinese half shafts..Too bad the "shiny" parts suck!

I think if I had to replace a half shaft..I would probably just use "Remanufactured" vs "New"

Generally, the "Remanufactured" half shaft rebuilders are using Ford cores..So, that's one thing in their favor..

The "Remanufactured" half shafts no doubt have their flaws as well..
So, until someone can recommend a good rebuilder using quality parts you're just rolling the dice..

Still, better than "new" Chinese half shafts..lol

If any of you have first hand experience with a CV Axle rebuilder that does quality work please speak up..

Rayo..

Really?

Rayo, unless you're making over 300 rwhp or even IF you are making 300 rwhp the stock half shafts are good enough.

As far as getting yours rebuilt, just buy a set of the re-manufactured shafts that are rebuilt from stock cores that you mentioned.

You clearly have already found an answer to your question and are just looking for an excuse to bedazzle us with your extensive research and knowledge of the topic that you proposed under the guise of seeking input.

To answer your question, try Hangzhou Chuanglian Hardware And Machinery Co., Ltd. they have a 3 year 3 mile (whichever comes first) warranty.

Seriously though, stick with stock, get DSS shafts or don't waste your time. I ought to lock this thread but you'd wine so I'm going to leave it open - for now at least - just to see what happens.

Mods? Yea, I got mods ...
Air silencer delete, warp drive, dilithium crystals, flux capacitor, Slingshot Rubber band power adder, Moonshine & Gas, Leaf Blower Supercharger, Hamster Wheel & Hamster, Energizer Bunny generating 1.21 gigawatts, Mr. Fusion® Home Energy Reactor, hover conversion and a sextant celestial navigation system (The original GPS)
Best 1/4: 1,320 nanoseconds @ 670,616,629.2 miles per hour

"There isn't that much difference anymore between spacecraft, aircraft and modern automobiles..." - Keith Henry, NASA's Langley Research Center
See a list of my real mods and pictures of my car HERE. The true performance of my car was made possible by the Carolinas Crew Chief, RobertP at Rob's Tire & Auto
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
I ought to lock this thread but you'd wine so I'm going to leave it open - for now at least - just to see what happens.
Power trip much?

Insulting TCCoA members is not one of your duties as a Moderator the last time I checked..

As a Moderator you should know you are held to a higher standard..I would expect better from you..

Rayo..

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 05:22 AM

Garage
Quote:
Power trip much?

Insulting TCCoA members is not one of your duties as a Moderator the last time I checked..

As a Moderator you should know you are held to a higher standard..I would expect better from you..
I think you're feeling the effects of asking the same kinds of questions with the same obvious answers being asked repeatedly. You have a reputation of having done your own research to extensive lengths and I imagine you're also relatively good at math. Our platform is a dead platform. The car hasn't been manufactured in almost 19 years. When it was manufactured it was second fiddle at best to the Mustang. It's rear end is certainly a platform that Ford used going forward but they chose to modify it in later forms so that it's not useful to any of us. We're lucky that we can get these proprietary parts at all at this point.

It's obvious that you're smart enough to know these things. Since it's obvious, it appears in many cases that you're on your own power trip.

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 11:20 AM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Power trip much? Insulting TCCoA members is not one of your duties as a Moderator the last time I checked..

Rayo..
...and keeping Moderators "in-check" isn't one of your duties nor rights. If he was on a power trip, you'd be long gone, plain and simple.

FWIW, GSP manufactures new axles, but I do not know the country of origin. Got them at Advance when they were selling them for $60. They still make the ones for the 7.5" diff, but I have a hunch that they are the same exact ones as the 8.8" versions that were sold at Advance. Part# NCV11995. I see Rock Auto sells them now, quite a bit cheaper. Time will tell if they will hold up, but for $60ea, I figured it was worth a shot to see what they're made out of. If they don't work, then it's an easy decision to get the 300M hardened billet steel DSS axles.

EDIT: Seems as though GSP does make new 8.8 Specific Axles under the CarQuest Brand name, Part# NCV11998. Not saying these are "the ones" to get, but perhaps better than the SureTrack non-sense?

Last edited by guitar maestro; 12-24-2015 at 12:01 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
̇

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
...and keeping Moderators "in-check" isn't one of your duties nor rights.
Agreed..We all have a higher power to answer to though..No, I don't mean you..lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar maestro View Post
...If he was on a power trip, you'd be long gone, plain and simple.
It's my understanding that if someone's behavior here comes into question..It's discussed amongst the Administrators/Moderators..
Before any action is taken..

My actions here have not put me into a position where I should even be in that "discussion"..

That being said..I'm not going to sit back, and be silent while someone insults me for no apparent reason..

I've said my peace..I would like to continue on with this thread in a most constructive way..

Thanks, The GSP CV Axles are "brand new" Chinese axles as well..

The boots on my axles have been seeping for some time now...
I'm sure it's just a matter of time before they fail from contamination/bearing failure..

Rather than filling the boots back up with grease, and putting new boot straps on them..I would rather just get them rebuilt..

That was sorta the point of this thread..Looking for a good rebuilder of CV Axles or a reputable remanufactured CV Axle builder..
Not..I'm making X amount of horsepower, and I need stronger CV Axles..

PS: Can I get a clean-up in Aisle 3..So we can get this thread back on track..Please..

Rayo..

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:23 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Quote:

We have a publicly checkable list? Oh ****!

Let's all just take a deep breath. Holiday stress is clearly at it's peak lol

-Matt
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:26 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Send a message via MSN to guitar maestro Send a message via Yahoo to guitar maestro
Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
We have a publicly checkable list? Oh ****!

Let's all just take a deep breath. Holiday stress is clearly at it's peak lol
Shut up!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Thanks, The GSP CV Axles are "brand new" Chinese axles as well..
Link to proof?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
̇

Garage

You have to actually go to YouTube directly to read the company profile..

I'll quote it, anyways:
Quote:
GSP is a Chinese manufacturer of constant velocity drive shafts and CV joints for passenger cars.
Since 1985, GSP is producing CVJ products. GSP employs about 2.500 people in nine factories.
GSP has established a company in Germany to support the European customers and to further develop the business throughout Europe.
Apart from an excellent quality, GSP offers already a wide range of product applications for the European car park, however hundreds of additional applications are being developed each year.
As of the beginning of June 2013, DoyenAuto Belgium will be the unique distributor of CV Joints of GSP (27 references) in Belgium, and thus the collaboration begins.

Rayo..

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 12:54 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

That is not definitive proof because many overseas companies can have international manufacturing facilities. You should know better than to assume because a company is HQ'd in China, that it is the sole source of it's products, especially based on a YouTube clip.

Might be the case here:
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:07 PM
Humble MN12 Genius
Super Moderator

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to XR7-4.6
Who's your mechanic?

-Matt
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Moderator & Teksid Whore
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR7-4.6 View Post
Who's your mechanic?
Bob "el smiley" Garcia de los Santos.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 10:06 PM
5th Gear Poster

Send a message via AIM to steveg1988 Send a message via Skype™ to steveg1988
I've used Cardone Select brand new axles on FWD cars i've had to swap em on. No issues, parts seemed to be really quality
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015, 07:35 AM

Garage
It looks like this thread has the answer to your question: Bullet Proof, 4340 Chromoly 28 Spline CV Shaft Outers

Since you don't want to spend $1600, how about ~$600?

"When the only tool you have is a hammer, suddenly everything looks like a nail."
"Nothing is foolproof because fools are so ingenious."
1992 Ford Thunderbird SC

Coast High Peformance 347 Stroker
-Low Tension Oil Rings, Zero Gap Seconds
-10.5:1 Compression Ratio
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads
Trick Flow Stage 1 cam
Trick Flow Street Heat Intake
Mac 1 5/8 long tube headers
FRPP 42# injectors
3.27 gears
Custom aluminum driveshaft
M5R2
Burned Chip for SN95 T4M0 ECM
OMGHI2U

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in