Neutral Safety Switch problems/keeps shorting out - TCCoA Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-17-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Neutral Safety Switch problems/keeps shorting out

Hey guys hows it goin? Well, I have a '96 Tbird thats AOD...Lately I have been going thru some tranny issues and having a really hard time trying to diagnose the actual problem...A while back my NSS had failed...I had been noticing that when I would shift it into reverse, the turn signal fuse would constantly burn...Also, I would hear some static in my car speakers when I would reverse then it would go away once I had shifted into drive...Ok well I replaced it brand new with one from O'Reilly's and the old one looked like it had burned near two pins on the old NSS...I figure since I seen it before on other peoples cars, its a common problem I guess....For the first 4 or 5 days it seemed to have corrected the problem...Then one morning I was going to drive to the gas station, get onto the road and once again like before, the car failed to shift out of 1st (or 2nd) gear which ever is the limp mode gear...So I turn around to go back home and then its doing some pretty crazy up and down shifting action...Once again, I have a lifetime warranty so I exchanged it for another new one and installed it..This time I replaced the connector with the one it came with and also to clean the connector as well...Installed everything and it's the same deal...No shifting action..I had to adjust it a bit so the rear backup lamps would work but thats all I have done as far as adjusting anything...Like the first time I ran the trouble codes and it came up with "P0708 Transmission Range Sensor Circuit High". Now I'm just trying to figure out what is causing the burning out of the NSS..If it could be a possible ground wiring issue? Maybe it has a bad ground where ever the harness connects to and its trying to make its own ground and shorting it out? Maybe just bad/cheap sensors from O'Reilly's? A bad tranny? Something else that not even related that's causing it to act funny? I have noooo idea and I have been looking up and down online about any known issues and there had apparently been a recall on it in the past but don't know anything much further than that...Haven't run into anybody else with the same issue either...If anybody has any possible suggestions, please help!! Many thanks in advance...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
bad wiring , need help , neutral safety switch , nss , transmission not shifting

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TCCoA Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in